convince me to switch :D

I've been a long windows user and never thought of getting a macbook because of their price, but now pc's tend to be expensive as well (my T440p). I want something thinner yet powerful than my T440p. It's 5 months old and willing to sell it.

It turns out that I always look for higher spec and than I actually need. All I do is research, right papers, study, excel, powerpoint, play around with programming languages (i'm not a programmer). I don't know why I got the nvidiat 730 and I don't game. 

Worth it?

Definitely switch. I was a Windows user myself up until late 2013. Now I'm totally happy with my Air. I simply run Windows in Oracle VirtualBox when I need it. Works without a hitch and even faster than on a dedicated PC :) 

Apparently (according to what many Windows users have told me) the only reason we Mac users aren't plagued by malware problems is that the user base is very small.

For that reason, I'd like to keep it small so I would plead with you PLEASE don't switch!

I don't want to be forced to install AV software. :(

• Like 2

I don't program, just explore. I willing to use parallels and install win 8.1 if I needed all the functionality of office.  

^^^This, thats exactly what I do. Thats the only way I can justify the cost of a Mac. Your really buying 2 computers instead of one. I play games and everything on my Mac.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm starting to learn C#, as a hobby, but don't know how serious it'll get. Would it be wise to get a macbook and use windows in VM or bootcamp for C#, visual studio? I also, occasionally use MS Project and Visio, but not much. 

Then switch. Get a 15-inch MBP. Enough power, and good portability. Buy the minimum RAM (on older models), go to Newegg, and get RAM there. Buy Office for Mac.

AFAIK this isn't an option if you get a MBP with retina display. The memory is soldered to the mainboard, and has been since 2012.

Apparently (according to what many Windows users have told me) the only reason we Mac users aren't plagued by malware problems is that the user base is very small.

For that reason, I'd like to keep it small so I would plead with you PLEASE don't switch!

I don't want to be forced to install AV software. :(

Its more like mac requires your admin password every time theres a software change, so its harder for software to sneak in & reliably run as it explicitly notifies you. I have to hold a key when I want to run a program I just downloaded, plus enter my password to make any system changes! Added to this the small user base, limited exploits to use, and the return on investment isn't worth it compared to a windows install. Do note that malware does exist as well as multi-platform browsers infected too.

I'm starting to learn C#, as a hobby, but don't know how serious it'll get. Would it be wise to get a macbook and use windows in VM or bootcamp for C#, visual studio? I also, occasionally use MS Project and Visio, but not much.

I regularly use Visual Studio in a Windows 8.1 VM on the current gen rMBP. Its performance is more than enough for that. Just make sure that you have plenty of RAM.

I regularly use Visual Studio in a Windows 8.1 VM on the current gen rMBP. Its performance is more than enough for that. Just make sure that you have plenty of RAM.

would 8gb be enough?

I made the switch after not really liking Windows 8

Prior to that I had never used a mac, and didn't really give them a lot of thought.  How wrong was I !!!!!

12 Months later and I am hooked.  If you want something which just gets the job done, get one.

Personally I decided to go down the hackintosh route, that way I could pick the parts myself whilst also saving a good chunk of money.

would 8gb be enough?

I think that 8GB is doable if you're learning and your Visual Studio projects aren't that big. If you can get 16GB, go for it, but if you spec with 8GB you still have the option of switching from virtualised Windows to a dual boot setup if you run into performance issues.

I know a lot of people with apple laptops running windows.    the hardware looks and feels great, and you decide with os to run.

i run windows on my apple hardware, because i just cannot appreciate the way osx does basic things...  and i gave it a 2 year exclusive run.  still after 2 years, i was glad to go back to windows.   

love apple hardware though.

Switch! Because you want to! SWITCH! :P

Why would you need convincing? If you can afford to buy one then go for it and if you don't like it return it. Simple as that. No need to worry about buyers remorse and be stuck or read all the "MAC" biased opinions on a MAC thread and convince yourself based on other people's experiences. The beauty of return policies is that it affords you the opportunity to have real world experiences with something as expensive as a new laptop purchase without the fear of being "stuck" with it.  

There are so many great laptops out there now and you should give them a try.

For a Windows 8.1 laptop I would look at the Dell 15 XPS with the 3200x1800(QHD+) display. It's a very well built laptop and the screen is amazing. Ask me how I know :)

Another the 2nd Gen ACER S7 Inspire for a 13" laptop. It's is very premium and has a nice 1980x1080 display. The Raid 0 setup screams along faster than most SSD equipped laptops.  I wish we could get the QHD display in the states.  The battery life is much better than the first gen. I had this laptop for a bit as well.

The third one would be the Samsung ATIV 9+ with QHD+ as well. They have been making some very good laptops for the past few years.

I have both the XPS 15 QHD+ and the MPBr 15" Late 2013 and I am happy with both. Two different experiences but as of late I have used the XPS for more often. With the screen being so good I just really like the look of Win 8.1 on it. It's also very thin and light for being a 15".

I would edge out the build quality to the MAC by a hair compared to the XPS15 and the track pad being slightly better. It's not that far off from each other. Either way you can't go wrong.

Good Luck. I don't think you can go wrong either way personally. It's what you use most should be your deciding factor. If you are running Parallels or VMWare for 90% of them time then why spend the money. Having a Dual OS machine isn't always advantages or necessary.

I bought a mac once, used it for a few months, then gave it to my kids. It was fine for what it did, but falls way short compared to my PC

Why would you need convincing? If you can afford to buy one then go for it and if you don't like it return it. Simple as that. No need to worry about buyers remorse and be stuck or read all the "MAC" biased opinions on a MAC thread and convince yourself based on other people's experiences. The beauty of return policies is that it affords you the opportunity to have real world experiences with something as expensive as a new laptop purchase without the fear of being "stuck" with it.  

For a Windows 8.1 laptop I would look at the Dell 15 XPS with the 3200x1800(QHD+) display. It's a very well built laptop and the screen is amazing. Ask me how I know :)

Another the 2nd Gen ACER S7 Inspire for a 13" laptop. It's is very premium and has a nice 1980x1080 display. The Raid 0 setup screams along faster than most SSD equipped laptops.  I wish we could get the QHD display in the states.  The battery life is much better than the first gen. I had this laptop for a bit as well.

The third one would be the Samsung ATIV 9+ with QHD+ as well. They have been making some very good laptops for the past few years.

I have both the XPS 15 QHD+ and the MPBr 15" Late 2013 and I am happy with both. Two different experiences but as of late I have used the XPS for more often. With the screen being so good I just really like the look of Win 8.1 on it. It's also very thin and light for being a 15".

I would edge out the build quality to the MAC by a hair compared to the XPS15 and the track pad being slightly better. It's not that far off from each other. Either way you can't go wrong.

Good Luck. I don't think you can go wrong either way personally. It's what you use most should be your deciding factor. If you are running Parallels or VMWare for 90% of them time then why spend the money. Having a Dual OS machine isn't always advantages or necessary.

Just remember we are talking about Mac's not MAC Addresses ;)

No no no, this post isn't serious! I only read on after comparing DELL to Apple because I wanted to see what you'd say but when you said Acer!! Well I stopped reading completely..... Acer.... Really!!!

From the sounds of things the OP is going to be spending quite a lot of time in Windows. Why bother at that point, you could get a pimped ultrabook (or even an awesome Surface Pro 3) which will probably outperform the Mac for less money. At this point you are just buying it for the brand vs the actual OS and ecosystem.

Every Mac comes free with a pair of Nike, tattered jeans and used black turtleneck. If that's your thing.

Every Mac comes free with a pair of Nike, tattered jeans and used black turtleneck. If that's your thing.

They're all made in the same factory after all.

Mac comes with a hassle free backup solution that actually works great: TimeMachine.  Plug in an external drive, click the button that pops up asking if you want to use this as a TimeMachine backup (if one isn't already setup), hit yes and don't worry about backups anymore (except maybe to store a backup off site).

Looks like you are already convince. Been running Hackintosh from past 4 years, dual booting with Windows 8.1. Used to work on Mac pro at old workplace, but after using it all day, I still felt comfortable on windows. The hackintosh is just to work on FCP projects, rest i spend all of my time on Windows. I'd suggest give them both a try for atleast 1 month, if you will feel the need to go back, you can always install windows on Macbook.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope you got a Mac. They're awesome. Get the 13.3 Air. And you can install Windows on a Mac easily but you can't install MacOS on a PC unless you want to go through a bunch of hassles getting it to work (Hackintosh).