Borrowing or Theft

take his car keys, go do the store, and return before he realizes I took the car.

Is that Grand Theft Auto?  Is it ONLY theft when the owner realizes the item is gone?  So as long as someone hides their theft, it's ok?

If the owner doesn't know then it is taking without owners consent and it's still a crime.

I think even in the case of borrowing a ladder from your parents, you would text them first and say something like "hey dad I'm going to borrow the ladder". Even through you didn't get consent, at least the owner was informed of where their ladder went.

Just love reading threads such as this one. . .I sit down with a big bowl of popcorn and a ice cold beer and then sit back and have a good laugh. . . :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm going to 'borrow' all your beers, drink them all and leave you with the empty bottles/cans...

Then maybe in 5 years, I'll buy some more and replace them for you...

as the item increases in value, people get more and more caring....

Value has nothing to do with Theft... you just don't get it, and I won't continue with you, cause it's clear you are too closed minded.

It's theft regardless how you perceive the scenario and how you "think" the other person might mind it being taken.

It is theft only if the owner say it is.

Not really.. The law is very clear, this is the Florida law, most states are very similar

812.014?Theft.?
(1)?A person commits theft if he or she knowingly obtains or uses, or endeavors to obtain or to use, the property of another with intent to, either temporarily or permanently:
(a)?Deprive the other person of a right to the property or a benefit from the property.
(b)?Appropriate the property to his or her own use or to the use of any person not entitled to the use of the property.

Yeah but the owner must still testify against the thief. As long as the owner say that he agreed to it the law wont do anything even if it is not true.

Value has nothing to do with Theft... you just don't get it, and I won't continue with you, cause it's clear you are too closed minded.

grow larger and see outside the box of black and white

• Like 2

It depends. It's not as black and white as some people here are saying it is. People pushing the laws of property theft are missing the point in my opinion. OP was asking if you think it's borrowing or theft, not if your state laws think it is.

Hypothetical Grey Areas:

A friend accidentally leaves their Umbrella at my House. One day it's
raining outside and I need to go out so I use the umbrella. Later on
when the Umbrella is returned to them I tell them I used it once and
they acknowledge it (this has actually happened to me).

My Wife goes into labor while we are staying at a friends house but we

arrived there by Train (because who cares, it's hypothetical). My
friend had stepped out but I need to use their Car to get to the
Hospital as quickly as possible. I take their keys, write a note and
drive away. Later on I return with the Car and keys and tell them I
had to take it.

As I write these hypotheticals it occurs to me that as long as I get permission at one point or another and I feel the 'theft' is of merit then it's borrowing. If my friend had been angered that I took the Umbrella or Car without their permission then to me that's just unreasonable of them, theft or not.

The law needs to be black and white, people don't. It's not always theft. A rational person will know the difference.

• Like 3

My friend had stepped out but I need to use their Car to get to the

Hospital as quickly as possible. I take their keys, write a note and

drive away. Later on I return with the Car and keys and tell them I

had to take it.

If I was your friend, I would have called police. Stealing is Stealing. I am very possessive about my stuff.

If I was your friend, I would have called police. Stealing is Stealing. I am very possessive about my stuff.

I wouldn't want to be your friend with that kind of thinking.

Clearly you don't understand the definition of theft as by law: Re-read it again, very slowly, and I will bold the parts you totally missed

812.014?Theft.?

(1)?A person commits theft if he or she knowingly obtains or uses, or endeavors to obtain or to use, the property of another with intent to, either temporarily or permanently:

(a)?Deprive the other person of a right to the property or a benefit from the property.

(b)?Appropriate the property to his or her own use or to the use of any person not entitled to the use of the property.

We're talking about if the owner intends to press charges.