Photo

Where do you install your games? (SSD or HDD)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:02

I have stuck an SSD into my htpc/gaming machine and also have a 3TB WD RED that i use for data storage, where should i be installing my games?

I've searched online but a lot of responses seem inconclusive... most talk about reducing the life of the SSD especially with open world games, in my limited knowledge an SSD should technically out live a standard HDD because of no moving parts?

Second is space.. this is not an issue for me, the 240GB SSD only holds Windows, Plex and Steam so i gave over 200GB free and would only be installing a few games.

I'm not expecting a performance boost either, except maybe faster loading times, the box is already fast enough.

So does it boil down to personal preference or is there a preferred method?

#2 Jase

Jase

It's like..Kablammo!

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:04

HDD, SSD is for the OS.

#3 Xahid

Xahid

Anokha Neowinian

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:07

you can sure install games on SDD since you have space, I have large space on HDD only.

#4 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:02

HDD. I like to keep all my games installed at once and my Steam folder is over 1.8TB. Manually transferring games over to the SSD is simply too much effort, especially as I rarely know what I'm going to be playing.

#5 ZakO

ZakO

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:33

SSD for frequently played games, HDD for others. A lot of games I've played load significantly faster on an SSD. 

#6 Jase

Jase

It's like..Kablammo!

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:56

Don't SSD's die faster if you use them constantly for more than just an operating system? .... Might be a rumour.

#7 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:57

HDD then I move one or two games to the 256 SSD as needed. Usually MMOs for the loading.

Don't SSD's die faster if you use them constantly for more than just an operating system? .... Might be a rumour.

Technically yes, realistically, not to a degree where it matters.

#8 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro | Xubuntu | OSX Yosemite| Server 2012 R2 | Ubuntu Server
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:03

I used to have a Samsung 830 Series 128GB for OS/Data/Application & 2x Seagate 500GB in stripe for Steam inside my Dell laptop.

It was ok for games to begin with, but I found that more often then not I was waiting on the 2x500GB to bust a move for Unreal based games due to the sheer amount of files they encompass or long pauses during loading of areas. That coupled with it destroying my battery life if I left Steam running on start up, I decided to go full SSD last month.

I swapped over to Samsung 840 EVO Series 250GB for OS/Data/Applications/VM & 2x Samsung 830 Series 128GB in stripe for Steam. I get no random pauses anymore, no issues with battery life and now the Nvidia GT555M is the bottleneck for anything I want to play.

Occasionally I have the odd mild heart attack when the CPU/GPU fan decides that it doesn't need to spin for the first 30mins and the thing is silent as the grave due to no Seagate whine.

#9 +Phouchg

Phouchg

has stopped responding

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:08

SSD. I want to squeeze out every last bit of things I've bought. I'm currently not running out of space, because I don't keep installed any games I know won't be playing any time soon - that's what Steam and Origin (and in some *cough* cases ISOs on HDD) is for. Wolfenstein will change that, but I've yet to get it.

#10 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro | Xubuntu | OSX Yosemite| Server 2012 R2 | Ubuntu Server
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:13

I found that most of the time I didn't exceed 390GB of installed games in total on average and I don't need to have every game installed that says "last played date: 11 months ago".

Obviously if we're going to have a trend of games in excess of 45GB installed + DLC/Updates per game I'm going to need to rethink things in the future (or buy larger SSD's) but then again, I doubt my machine is going to be able to play those games at an acceptable rate anyway at the moment. Batman Arkham Knight might sway my mind on that.

#11 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:20

I have a terabyte of games on my HDD. I use mklink /j to move games to my SSD as necessary.

I'll move a game from E:\Steam\Steamapps\Game to C:\Cache\Game

Then use mklink /j E:\Steam\Steamapps\Game C:\Cache\Game

This creates a link in the NTFS file system that is completely transparent to software using the files. Best way to do it IMO.

#12 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:57

I have a terabyte of games on my HDD. I use mklink /j to move games to my SSD as necessary.

I'll move a game from E:\Steam\Steamapps\Game to C:\Cache\Game

Then use mklink /j E:\Steam\Steamapps\Game C:\Cache\Game

This creates a link in the NTFS file system that is completely transparent to software using the files. Best way to do it IMO.

Or you could just launch the exe from the new location in most cases :)

#13 +Zag L.

Zag L.

Neowinian

• Phone: OnePlus One 64Gb

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:31

I no longer have any rotating platter HDD in my system. I only have a single Samsung 840 EVO 512Gb so everything installs there. I store my movies, music and documents on a central media/file server.

#14 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• Phone: Nokia 113

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:35

Several tests have shown that the most recent SSD can withstand daily writes of several GB of data for several years.

Some even tortured the drive to hell and back. No issues in a realistic time-frame.

#15 CG-88

CG-88

||Modified||

• Phone: Lumia 625

Posted 31 May 2014 - 19:48

All programs are installed on my SSD at the moment as I got a larger memory one and that is all I keep on the SSD, OS and programs

My HDD consists of pictures/music/movies and all the install files I need for the programs.

Im considering getting a higher performance SSD with smaller capacity just for the OS, keeping my current one for programs only, then just keep my HDD for all my documents and other files. Maybe...im happy as it currently is