What do you take to an interview?

Hmmm. Interesting.

I guess it's different, as I have several people "above" me to use as references (Data Admin < Network Admin < IT Manager) and around me, and I'm not afraid of my "top" boss knowing I'm looking for other employment. They should be unhappy that I would be looking elsewhere because of their practices/environment/salary, rather than just because I'm looking. That's if they're a decent employer that values their people.

If your boss is a reference, then I can understand that you wouldn't want him/her to be called. Personally, I am of the opinion you shouldn't just have one reference from any company you work at, unless absolutely necessary though.

I have about a dozen potential referees, but the job I just applied for and secured (start 20th June) wanted a reference from my current and previous line managers.

If you are asked to provide references, there are actually quite a few European countries where often these get checked before you sign a contract, however not before you are informed they will be contacted. I know that many European institutions do this as common practice.

Also, only provide references if you get asked to do so, don't offer them. If you provide them, expect them to be contacted. In my case, I have had many jobs where I needed to provide them, but so far they were never contacted.

As to the interview itself, I would take at least two copies of my CV, a copy of the job profile/advertisement, a pen and a notebook to make notes.
It goes wihtout saying you should be prepared for the interview, by which I mean: get information on the company you are applying with, the job you need to do, and prepare for the usual HR questions.

As others have said, it also depends a lot on the job. If you are an artist, you probably have a portfolio which you could present. Same if you are a photografer or model. If it is for IT, I've never taken anything special with me, as there is nothing to show.

A high level support role like 3rd line Server/network engineer for example. 

Meh, I just whip out my light sabre, gets them every time. /s

The bare necessities. Usually a thumb drive with a copy of my resume on it. (recently received a free 128GB USB DataSport flash drive and I take it with me everywhere)

In any type of high level IT/network infrastructure environment that is the last thing you want to do.  No one in their right mind would ever accept an outside usb drive and knowingly connect it to a company computer.  Just giving one out is 3 strikes against you right there.

• Like 1

My carer has traveled across a number of different industries.  I've always found these key to have:

1. Research the company as much as possible and retain or write down some quick key facts that could lead into questions during the interview.
  2. Writing pad & pens - This should be used sparsely during the interview, this isn't university so don't write down everything, though take quick notes on key facts as they pertain to the company / position.
  3. The writing pad should have any questions / company facts for quick reference from #1 above.  One of the biggest mistakes I see interviewees make is not having any questions when asked the dreaded, "So, that's what I have for you.  What questions do you have for me?"  - a blank stare or stumbling doesn't help.
  4. Also, don't be afraid to ask the interviewer some tough questions regarding the company culture, including management style and ,if appropriate, company finances (if public).  Who would be your manager?  If this is the person you are interviewing with ask them similar questions such as, "what do you like to do on holiday?", "Tell me abit about your self" and follow up questions regarding management style, etc...
  5. I typically take an extra shirt and tie just in case.
  6. A good smile.

Remember that it isn't just the company interviewing you, you should also be interviewing the company.  

good luck

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

For technical positions just take yourself.

Don't bring copies of your resume/CV, it makes you look inexperienced and/or have lied on your CV and need it to remember what you've put.  A resume/CV is a tool for getting you an interview, nothing more. Once you have that interview it is not needed, you should be able to answer any questions about your past jobs without having to refer to what you put on your CV.

Don't bring copies of your resume/CV, it makes you look inexperienced and/or have lied on your CV and need it to remember what you've put.  A resume/CV is a tool for getting you an interview, nothing more. Once you have that interview it is not needed, you should be able to answer any questions about your past jobs without having to refer to what you put on your CV.

What about notes? Notes about the company. Storys you feel are good examples you can quickly glance at during the interview? 

Confidence.

Nothing else. They already have my CV, and I'm not going to start writing things down during an interview.

Well...yes and no.  I bring extras in case the interviewer doesn't have mine.  Remember that the person has probably interviewed a couple of other people (unless they really like you and you are the only candidate) and may have lots of other resumes to look through.  I always have extra copies to give out.  Now, that's not to say that I have an extra for me to look over during the interview.  I know what is on there and can speak to it.

Bring your self and your knowledge.  Bring a bottle of water.  Bring a pen and and some paper to take notes of the interview.  Do some research on the company.  Write down some questions to ask the interviewer.  Bring a few copies of your resume, don't assume that they have them printed out or know who they are seeing.  Many times people do not have updated resumes when the person interviewing has looked at it so bring the most up to date resume with you.

Based on your experience you should be able to pass the technical interview.  Move on to the next question if you don't feel comfortable with it.  Try not to get flustered. 

What about notes? Notes about the company. Storys you feel are good examples you can quickly glance at during the interview? 

I would say no. Whenever I have interviewed people if there's one thing I can't stand it is interviewees fumbing through notes all through the interview.  It should be a discussion and the interviewee should be engaged in the interviewer.  It goes hand in hand with eye contact. none or little eye contact during interview is an immediate bad impression, and you can't maintain eye contact buried in your notes.

Also I can't stress enough the importance of a decent, firm handshake.  Limp handshake immedately puts an interviewer off.

Aditionally, bring a pen. You could be asked to sign something for a whole raft of reasons, even something as simple as a pass for the car park or temporary visitors badge. Don't look unprepared by asking for a pen.

The most imporant thing, and this will be impossible I know, is to just relax. Don't stress too much about the questions, they will coax information out of you. For example, any time I have been interviewing people if there is a question they are stuck on then I would rephrase it or ask additional questions to coax the information out.  Interview nerves are a legitimate thing and can and do make your mind go blank. It is OK, because all it takes is a little nudge and it all comes flooding back. Good interviewers will give that nudge. That has also generally been the case whenever i've been interviewed for a job as well as doing the interviewing.

Ask questions, even if you don't particularly care about the answer, and leave them until near the end when they ask you if you have any questions. Things like 'What do you enjoy about working for XYZ company?'  or 'What are the immediate challenges you would like the new hire to tackle?' And ALWAYS end the interview saying something like 'This sounds like a great challenge that I could see myself excelling at'.  Don't leave it ambiguous as to your interest in the role.

I would say no. Whenever I have interviewed people if there's one thing I can't stand it is interviewees fumbing through notes all through the interview.  It should be a discussion and the interviewee should be engaged in the interviewer.  It goes hand in hand with eye contact. none or little eye contact during interview is an immediate bad impression, and you can't maintain eye contact buried in your notes.

Also I can't stress enough the importance of a decent, firm handshake.  Limp handshake immedately puts an interviewer off.

Aditionally, bring a pen. You could be asked to sign something for a whole raft of reasons, even something as simple as a pass for the car park or temporary visitors badge. Don't look unprepared by asking for a pen.

The most imporant thing, and this will be impossible I know, is to just relax. Don't stress too much about the questions, they will coax information out of you. For example, any time I have been interviewing people if there is a question they are stuck on then I would rephrase it or ask additional questions to coax the information out.  Interview nerves are a legitimate thing and can and do make your mind go blank. It is OK, because all it takes is a little nudge and it all comes flooding back. Good interviewers will give that nudge. That has also generally been the case whenever i've been interviewed for a job as well as doing the interviewing.

Ask questions, even if you don't particularly care about the answer, and leave them until near the end when they ask you if you have any questions. Things like 'What do you enjoy about working for XYZ company?'  or 'What are the immediate challenges you would like the new hire to tackle?' And ALWAYS end the interview saying something like 'This sounds like a great challenge that I could see myself excelling at'.  Don't leave it ambiguous as to your interest in the role.

Exactly...take the time before hand to research who you will be interviewing with.  Find their linkedin profile, their company profile, hell even their facebook profile if you can.  Know who you will meet and everything about the company.  But don't take that information with you into the interview.  Commit it to memory.  And I agree with DeltaXray...have a nice firm handshake.

If possible...take a moment and stop in the bathroom before you arrive...freshen up your hands and face.  Also make sure your breath is fresh.  It also gives you a few moments to relax.

My moment important advice...leave the cellphone in the car.  There is nothing going on that cannot wait until you are finished.  Also, take only your car key in with you.  Leave everything else in the car.  If you must bring your phone in with you...triple check that it is on silent or turn it off.  Nothing ruins the interview faster than the phone going off with a bieber ring tone.

Myself and a resume, and a piece of scratch paper in your pocket.  Leave your cell phone in the car.  You need to be able to focus on the conversation with your prospective employer without fancy ringtones or vibrating pants.

I will bring a couple of copies of my resume, in case it is a group interview and other(s) need one.
I will also have a flash drive in my pocket with the resume in MS Word in case they are a paperless office.

I would keep the resume(s) in a nice leather binder/presentation portfolio and keep it in my hands - for some reason if I get fidgety or am subconsciously fiddling - it will prevent that.

A can of body spray?

My second interview at my job consisted of a panel of 10 people, all my co workers, who discussed various things for several hours. Was probably one of the most stressful things I've ever done, and when I'm in a hot room and stressing, I sweat. A can of axe definitely freshened me up during the break.

Personal hygiene is very important.  In addition to the deodorant, I would also bring a breath mint of some sort. 

For guys, take a good long look at your eyebrows - a unibrow can be extremely distracting. Threading your eyebrows can be well worth it.