What to look for/watch out for when buying a 24" monitor for gaming?

In that case, my IPS options are:

Acer G246HYLbd - 6ms - VGA/DVI - ?110

LG 24MP55HQ-P - 5ms - VGA/HDMI - ?122

AOC i2476Vwm - 5ms - VGA/HDMI - ?137

LG 24MB35PM - 5ms - VGA/DVI/DisplayPort - ?157

I'm not going for Dell because their cheapest 24" IPS display is ?181 and is 8ms. Rip-off, basically.

Dell costs a lot for a reason. They only use the best grade panels. There are lots of dirt cheap korean panels which are still good but they're not as good as Dell's and don't have zero dead pixel gurantees. Of the ones you listed I'd go for one of the LG monitors. The panels themselves are probably all made by LG, with only differences in quality class. I think their first party monitors are pretty well liked.

Also interesting: the iiyama PVA monitors. Really good value, good response times and even though you lack a bit of colour accuracy, the deep blacks are amazing for movies.

Yup those are pretty nice too but rarer. I actually have an AFFS+ on the laptop, you don't see those around much.

Scratch that philosophy....

Just don't get a TFT, ok? :laugh:

As far as I know TFT LCD include all the current TN and IPS panels? They are active matrix, aren't they?

or am I missing a joke here?

What should I look for or watch out for when buying a 24" monitor to be used for gaming?

e.g. I've heard IPS technology is bad for gaming, I believe due to their slow refresh rates.

I won't be using 3D and I have no interest in ultra wide screen.

I imagine I'll be wanting 1920x1080 as anything higher are too expensive (1920x1200 are ?178+, 2560x1440 are ?329+, 3840x2160 are ?500+).

I've got a 25" HP 25ix and it's fine for gaming.  It is rated at 7ms refresh, but I don't notice it. beautiful picture.

As far as I know TFT LCD include all the current TN and IPS panels? They are active matrix, aren't they?

or am I missing a joke here?

you're right, they're all TFT. Mindovermaster just has no clue what he's talking about.

Get a 27", TN or IPS doesn't really matter. Try to get a reputable brand. Refresh rates are largely not an issue these days, the main concern are bad pixels, and that's where good brands come in cause the cheaper ones do it by buying "end of the day" panels. Kinda like the fruits and veggies you get at markets around 5pm-ish. Still nice, but may be a little iffy...

I just ended up purchasing a 27" ASUS IPS MX279H and LOVE it. Man the colors are so nice.  I haven't seen any issues gaming so far, but I may not be looking close enough :)