Best free Windows 7 backup alternative?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 blizeH

blizeH

Neowinian

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:22

Hi,

I'm having some problems with Windows backup so I'm looking for alternatives.

Ideally I want to backup my entire C, D and E drives (total of around 1.5TB) onto my F drive (3TB) along with a virtual machine snapshot of my C drive so I can completely restore everything if necessary.

I'm currently using synctoy which works fine for the full backups, but won't create a virtual machine file, and it also won't run automatically on a schedule.

My girlfriend has Time Machine on her Mac too which looks perfect, so something similar to that would be great too. Thanks :)

(btw, I already have a paid version of Syncback SE which I'm not a fan of, so I'm cautious about buying any other pieces of software... that's why I'd prefer free)

Thanks

#2 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:09

I'm not sure about the virtual machine part, but give Macrium Reflect a shot.

#3 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Microsoft Fanboy & C# Coder

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Lumia 928 WP8.1U1 Black

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:23

I'm not sure the virtual machine part, but give Macrium Reflect a shot.

I second that.

Free edition of Macrium is available here: http://www.macrium.c...eflectfree.aspx.

But I would also recommend Comodo Backup. Note that the online backup is not required, and it supports virtual drive compression.

And about your Windows Backup problem, it seems like you need to either delete your older snapshots, or make sure your target has enough space for your backup and 12.5% of the target space.

If that doesn't work, try running your backup in Safe Mode (restart your computer, and right after the BIOS, spam F8, and select Safe Mode)

If that doesn't work, try running a check disk on your backup drive. Use the following command in an elevated command prompt:

chkdsk z: /X /B

Where z: is the drive you want to check. If your drive is not NTFS, do:

chkdsk z: /R /X

The I/O error might also be an error of a dying backup drive, so you might want to replace it.

#4 OP blizeH

blizeH

Neowinian

Posted 09 July 2014 - 14:15

Thank you so much for the replies guys, I'm going to try the steps mentioned by mastercoms to try to get Windows backup if possible - I already have so much stuff running on my machine if I can get an integrated backup solution that would be perfect. Failing that, I'll give Macrium Reflect a try :)

Thanks again

#5 Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 13 July 2014 - 18:59

i would have a look at http://redobackup.org