Windows 8.1 upgrade - need help - Samsung ultrabook

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ripcord

Ripcord

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:35

I have a Samsung ultrabook with windows 7.

I have a windows 8 upgrade key. I now decided to move to Windows 8.1

I was thinking of a clean install of Windows 8.1, formatting my PC

I then realized that If I format, the Samsung recovery will be gone too.

I also thought of the following:

- Do a Windows 7 factory restore (from Samsung recovery)

- Take a backup of Recovery (Optional)

- Upgrade to Windows 8 & then Windows 8.1 

With this I will retain the recovery. Unfortunately there is a problem with this. i have a 1TB HDD and when I bought this it came with 1 TB in C:\ . I made a logical partition to C: & D: 

Last time when I did a restore from recovery, I lost the D:\ meaning it wasn't showing up. After some days of struggle and running multiple software I got the D: back with all data in tact. Sadly I don't remember the software name.

What all options do I have to do a clean install of Windows 8.1 and 

- Retain recovery

- retain D:\ with data

#2 OP Ripcord

Ripcord

Neowinian

Posted 12 July 2014 - 20:38

anyone?

#3 Aletheia

Aletheia

Neowinian

Posted 12 July 2014 - 20:49

I have HP dm1-3020US (this is also kind of ultrabook). Came with Win 7 (64bit). I have installed 8.1 Pro. This is how I did it:

1. I purchased SSD (you may choose to use your default HD).

2. Clean install Windows 7. NOTE: you do not need to put in Product ID key. Just skip or press next. And do not install drivesr or update anything.

3. From the desktop, install Windows 8 upgrade. (choose the option the "do nothing" for clean install). I did both (W7 & W8) from USB drive.

4. Once installed, Update your system by going to Windows Update.

5. Then Finally, go to Store and update your ultrabook to Windows 8.1.

#4 John.D

John.D

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 12 July 2014 - 21:51

There is no way, the recovery partition (if this is what you mean by recovery),  is going to stay there if you do a clean install. Since a clean install wipes the hdd. Unless you create the recovery cd's / DVD's before you format.

If D is a separate partition of C, dont delete D, when you format, then it'll be there after the format / reinstall.

It's like the hdd on this. There's 4 partitions C D E F. But, if I do a clean install all I do is format C. D E F remain. Since D has all the windows updates / office updates on it, and programs I've paid for on it

#5 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 12 July 2014 - 22:00

Just nuke the recovery partition do a clean install of 8 and then make a drive image to restore from instead of the recovery partition. This way you'll have something to recover from plus none of the crapware.

#6 OP Ripcord

Ripcord

Neowinian

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:37

Well in the past I did similar to this on my Sony laptop. I formatted my C:\ and with it I the recovery partition too. I installed Windows all worked well except the drivers. Even the downloaded drivers from Sony didn't work :-/ 

I just don't want to repeat the same mistake twice