Photo

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 r41n

r41n

Neowinian

Posted 20 July 2014 - 15:22

Can't say much about WYSIWYG but, while such editors are much faster to get something up and running (not as fast as using a CMS like WordPress), to actually learn something I would strongly suggest starting with w3schools.com and Notepad++.

Nothing beats understanding the code behind your page.

#17 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Microsoft Fanboy & C# Coder

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Lumia 928 WP8.1U1 Black

Posted 20 July 2014 - 16:02

Can't say much about WYSIWYG but, while such editors are much faster to get something up and running (not as fast as using a CMS like WordPress), to actually learn something I would strongly suggest starting with w3schools.com and Notepad++.

Nothing beats understanding the code behind your page.

Please don't recommend w3schools :(. I would recommend the Mozilla Developer Network.

About CMSs, I would recommend Joomla, or Wordpress. I think you went to the wordpress.com site, which is a blogging platform that is built on Wordpress.

Learning can be done from experimentation, but that takes some time. You can use something like Codecademy or Code School to jumpstart your learning.

Personally, I learned HTML, JS, and CSS from fooling around with Bootstrap (by Twitter). I really like Netbeans for HTML editing.

But you want a WYSIWYG HTML editor, I would recommend BlueGriffon, a fork of Kompozer. I recommend BlueGriffon over KompoZer because it has been updated later than KompoZer.

#18 r41n

r41n

Neowinian

Posted 20 July 2014 - 19:27

Please don't recommend w3schools :(. I would recommend the Mozilla Developer Network.

I just said to start there, not to draw all your knowledge from there. It sure is not the best source, but it sure is easy to read and understand the very basic concepts they showcase.

#19 +Seahorsepip

Seahorsepip

http://seapip.com

• Tech Issues Solved: 23
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 20 July 2014 - 21:05

I just said to start there, not to draw all your knowledge from there. It sure is not the best source, but it sure is easy to read and understand the very basic concepts they showcase.

I have to agree that w3schools is just the most simple site at the moment for people to learn and understand html and css from, that it's content might be outdated and sometimes not correct is not exactly that important for beginners since they will write messy incorrect code anyway lol.

The most important for beginners in html and css is that they validate their code with the w3c validator as example so they see their mistakes and learn from them.

#20 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Microsoft Fanboy & C# Coder

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Lumia 928 WP8.1U1 Black

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:54

I have to agree with you there, since MDN is kind of advanced and scary for beginners. However, people should know how to code with compliance, but I guess W3Schools is a good place to start to understand the fundamental concepts of HTML.

#21 +WildWayz

WildWayz

The Moose God

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:30

WYSIWYG Web Builder is great for beginners. It actually has a lot of very useful plugins. I use it when I need to quickly build something, and rather than whip out NotePad++ or similar, I just use it.

Some things I don't like are the fact it likes to use positional properties - and can be a pain to try to make your site open in the center of your browser window... so you have to dip into the HTML. From memory, it doesn't actually have a HTML editor built in... so you can't dip between the two, so you have to have some understanding of HTML/CSS to get it tweaked.