Photo
xbox one microsoft xbox entertaintment studios nancy tellem

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 17 July 2014 - 18:58

Microsoft will shut down the Xbox Entertainment Studios, ending an ambitious foray into original video programming.

The Santa Monica studio, with its estimated 200 employees, will be shuttered as Microsoft focuses on strengthening its core videogame business. The move is part of Microsoft’s company-wide restructuring announced on Thursday morning, which will see the elimination of up to 18,000 jobs in the next 12 months.

Chief Executive Satya Nadella signaled the change in a lengthy memo to Microsoft staff that expressed support for the Xbox and its importance to the company — but omitted any reference to original television programming.

“The single biggest digital life category, measured in both time and money spent, in a mobile-first world is gaming,” Nadella wrote a week ago. “We are fortunate to have Xbox in our family to go after this opportunity with unique and bold innovation. Microsoft will continue to vigorously innovate and delight gamers with Xbox.”

Absent was any mention of Xbox Entertainment Studios, a division it created when it hired longtime CBS entertainment president Nancy Tellem in September 2012. Her mandate at the time was to make entertainment content that could only be found on the Xbox Live online platform.

Xbox Entertainment Studios fit with Microsoft’s plan to dominate the living room through its game console. But the unit has struggled to deliver on its promise.

Sources paint a picture of a disorganized studio that struggled to close deals and lacked a fully fleshed-out business model.

Source: http://recode.net/20...inment-studios/

TV TV TV ?

#2 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 July 2014 - 19:13

It's already on the front page.

http://www.neowin.ne...ginal-tv-shows/

#3 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 17 July 2014 - 19:14

Phil is all about the games nuff said.

#4 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 July 2014 - 21:08

I'm glad they're finishing up the Halo stuff, but I wasn't particularly excited about anything else they had lined up.

#5 jordanspringer

jordanspringer

Springster

Posted 17 July 2014 - 21:27

Looks like they may have shut too much of their entertainment down! Xbox Music and Video on Windows PC's and phones is down!   /sarcasm

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 17 July 2014 - 22:30

So much for that then...

Seems a few pundits online believe the lukewarm reaction to Sony's announcements at E3 were the final nail in the coffin.

I'm all for putting that money towards new IP (not splinters of existing IP), but it looks like MS need to rethink their TV strat.

It's already on the front page.

http://www.neowin.ne...ginal-tv-shows/

The forums and front page can post the same news. Discussions are usually more in depth here for starters.

#7 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 17 July 2014 - 23:48

They of course don't need their own studio for any  of the planned stuff. In fact contracting may not be just cheaper, but also give better quality

#8 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 18 July 2014 - 00:06

As much as I am a Xbox fan, all this flip flopping is getting a bit long in the tooth.

The Xbox has just about gotten away from everything I loved about it.

I don't need 2 like consoles.

May 2013, was everything I wanted... Without ever experiencing it, I knew that was the way I wanted it...

The Xbox One has almost NO differentiating factors to sell itself... Never thought I would say that...

As annoying as Mattrick was, he was actually right. People should of just bought or stuck with the 360.

All people really want is a 360 with a spruced up graphics card?

#9 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:12

Ah the old TV TV TV joke, never gets old......

Anyway, I'm disappointed that it was not working for them. Since they are abandoning those plans, it leaves Sony with a clear advantage. As they roll out their TV-like service for the ps4, MS will have nothing to counter it. Of course, most that post around here have little interest in such content on either console, but there is actually a large group of consumers that do and will make use of such a service from Sony.

We will see if MS has other ideas for shoring up the entertainment side of things going forward.

Of course getting more gaming content because of this would be nice, but I have my doubts that it will change many minds.

As much as I am a Xbox fan, all this flip flopping is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Don't waste your time typing things like this. Honestly, your in a minority group that wants or likes those types of features online. Most posting here have no interest and very much want what you describe. They, at best, tolerate non-gaming features and if they own an X1, barely use the thing at all beyond the rare game that they want. They want something that plays better games and that is it. The online community has spoken, and MS has listened. You can't really blame MS for actually doing what people ask them to do.

Every step MS has taken can be traced back to negative feedback.

#10 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:18

May 2013, was everything I wanted... Without ever experiencing it, I knew that was the way I wanted it...

The Xbox One has almost NO differentiating factors to sell itself... Never thought I would say that...

As annoying as Mattrick was, he was actually right. People should of just bought or stuck with the 360.

Agree and disagree with you. I don't believe we need that many differentiating factors - better performance and graphics to me are 90% of what constitutes progress, and in performance i also include the much faster UI, faster downloads, improved controller, and many other factors. However, MS are all over the place and as you said this flip flopping is indeed too much. Now that it's at the cost of people's jobs, it's no longer even amusing anymore.

#11 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:33

Agree and disagree with you. I don't believe we need that many differentiating factors - better performance and graphics to me are 90% of what constitutes progress, and in performance i also include the much faster UI, faster downloads, improved controller, and many other factors. However, MS are all over the place and as you said this flip flopping is indeed too much. Now that it's at the cost of people's jobs, it's no longer even amusing anymore.

Again, this is what the internet demanded. They demanded that MS stop the 'silly' interest in non-gaming content.

So shutting down this studio makes perfect sense. Why keep these people around if there is no demand for the content.

I find it funny how people get upset with MS for being 'all over the place' or 'flip flopping' when almost every step is a step most around here and elsewhere said must be done. No pats on the back for MS following through.

#12 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:10

Again, this is what the internet demanded. They demanded that MS stop the 'silly' interest in non-gaming content.

So shutting down this studio makes perfect sense. Why keep these people around if there is no demand for the content.

I find it funny how people get upset with MS for being 'all over the place' or 'flip flopping' when almost every step is a step most around here and elsewhere said must be done. No pats on the back for MS following through.

There's surely middle ground between their vision and accommodating the demands of the user base that don't involve disrupting the lives of hundreds of employees!

#13 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:18

What I find funny is how easily you seem to roll over to common interest lately rather than thinking for yourself.

#14 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:27

they just recently opened new stores too. Does this affect MSFT stores? or is this strictly internal?

#15 Ian W

Ian W

Neowinian Werewolf

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:31

Sums up my thoughts quite nicely. I loved your comment about May 2013 in particular.