Buying a used mac ( first time mac user )

All refurbished machines have a known problem. Thats the very definition of refurbished. Regardless of whether company claims to fix it or not. If you want piece of mind always buy new. I used to work for gamestop long ago and anything our store sold as refurbished usually got returned again within 2 weeks due to it breaking or some malfunction. Thats why I don't buy refurbish anything.

Apple's refurbs are very different.

Apple's refurbs are very different.

How do you figure? Do you not know what refurb means? Whether they fix it or not is irrelevant. The point is at some point in time this product had a problem and had to be returned. Please stop drinking the Apple Juice for a second and think about what I just said. If its refurbed its not new regardless of what they do to it.

How do you figure? Do you not know what refurb means? Whether they fix it or not is irrelevant. The point is at some point in time this product had a problem and had to be returned. Please stop drinking the Apple Juice for a second and think about what I just said. If its refurbed its not new regardless of what they do to it.

OK let's not tread the line, there's no need for comments like "drinking the Apple Juice".

They're not new machines, however nor do they have "known faults". They would have had "known faults" before they were repaired. They are machines which have been returned due to a fault or because a customer changed their mind within 14 days, had new batteries if the cycle count is > 5, any outer casing parts replaced if they are marked in any way, any faulty parts replaced if it was returned due to a fault, and put through QC.

All refurbished machines have a known problem. Thats the very definition of refurbished. Regardless of whether company claims to fix it or not. If you want piece of mind always buy new. I used to work for gamestop long ago and anything our store sold as refurbished usually got returned again within 2 weeks due to it breaking or some malfunction. Thats why I don't buy refurbish anything.

Gamestop != all

If you just want to try OS X out then run it in a VM or dual-boot it. There are ways of doing so. It's not all it's hyper up to be.

Different Strokes for Different Folks.. What works well for you, it might be crap for others. Hence, why he is buying a used one before putting both feet in. 

OK let's not tread the line, there's no need for comments like "drinking the Apple Juice".

They're not new machines, however nor do they have "known faults". They would have had "known faults" before they were repaired. They are machines which have been returned due to a fault or because a customer changed their mind within 14 days, had new batteries if the cycle count is > 5, any outer casing parts replaced if they are marked in any way, any faulty parts replaced if it was returned due to a fault, and put through QC.

All I am saying is there is nothing magical about apple's refurbs vs someone's refurbs. Thats how you are making it out to be. What your saying is the standard refurb procedure that most places uses. However not all the time they fix the correct issue thats what I am saying. They may replace all the parts but the one thats the actual issue. I do computer support and I see this kind of thing all the time with all brands of computers. So whether the company has a 100 point inspection or not stuff still gets missed.