Photo

Do you still purchase physical media?

49 replies to this topic

Poll: Physical media

Which best describes your purchasing of physical media?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,403 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:42

Simple enough: When did you last buy a CD? A DVD? Blu-Ray? Do you see a reason to? Have you done away with the whole physical media business and gone streaming/on demand only?

I threw up a simple poll. Discuss below.

#2 Bigkaye

Bigkaye

Neowinian

• 132 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:48

Mario Kart 8. 

#3 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,692 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:03

Only kinds of media I buy now are blanks. Movies and such, nah haven't bought one on disc in some years.. last one I picked up was on HDDVD, haven't bought any since. My broadband gets a good workout.

#4 Ian W

Ian W

NT 6.0.6000.16386.061101-2205

• 1,377 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:04

I'm sort of in between the first two options on the poll. On one hand, I like physical media because there is nothing quite like owning the media that includes the software (it gives me that warm, fuzzy feeling especially if the software is Windows). On the other hand, digital media has several advantages compared to physical media. For example, I don't have to worry about it being damaged, lost or stolen.

I will definitely purchase physical media after the new Super Smash Bros is released.

#5 Wyn6

Wyn6

Neowinian

• 767 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 925

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:18

I haven't purchased a movie, game or any music on physical media in eons. My brother did buy me Dragon Age and Mass Effect about five years ago for Christmas. But, again, I didn't buy them. I find them wholly unnecessary. But, I understand people purchasing them for the sake of nostalgia or just wanting to have that physical object in their possession.

#6 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:30

I but Blu-ray movies on a regular basis. I don't spend money on inferior formats.

#7 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,458 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:04

I last bought a CD a couple of weeks ago, because I like having a physical copy.  "Cloud" storage is dependent on the companies that run the servers.  If I have a physical copy, I'm not depending on somebody else for ready availability of my purchased content.

#8 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,741 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:09

I'm about 50/50. I purchase Blurays and PS3 games often enough but I also have quite a hefty Steam collection. Pros and Cons to each, I have no real preference.

#9 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,728 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:57

Yes if it's a collectors edition and comes with multiplayer (or it's just a really good game).

For movies again yes if it's either a great movie (and preferably comes in a box-set).

Otherwise, no.

#10 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,492 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:10

I'm buying digital copies of media or games for the most part. The only exception are films on DVD every once in a while.

#11 Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• 6,754 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:11

OTHER:

I buy blank CDs to make up a CD for the car.

I buy blank DVDs to backup things every few years.

I download CDs, movies and games so have them all digital.

#12 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:27

Audio CDs only. There's a warm, fuzzy feeling. For me... and for publishers. And then they're rotting on the shelf, because I rip to FLAC immediately.

#13 Arpit

Arpit

The neowin lurker

• 2,020 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:39

i buy blank CDs/DVDs but other than that pretty much no physical media.  truth be told, i don't think i've ever even bought a single DVD. i know i haven't watched any blu-ray movie other than the demos shown in the stores.  all the dvds i have were given to me as gifts which i'm getting rid of.

i'm a casual consumer and the convenience of wifi/cloud far outweighs the requirement of a physical media.

#14 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

• 3,069 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:42

3 years ago, when I built my PC, I skipped a DVD/Blu-ray ROM drive. I don't miss it at all. I do borrow few movie discs from friends to play on PS3.

#15 +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

devoted fan of the us-armed forces

• 3,035 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:46

Some physical media I purchase, some I stream or enjoy on a subscriber based model (spotify, netflix)

but media purchase has become very race to me. i still think its good to have some backup and variation, you never know if your internet connection breaks some time or what restrictions manufactors have included in their latest gadgets - i dont trust it completely.