How long ago did you last assemble a computer?

145 members have voted

1. 1. How long ago did you last assemble a computer?

• Within the past year.
    • 1-2 years ago
    • 2-3 years ago
    • 3-4 years ago
    • 4-5 years ago
    • 5-6 years ago
    • 6-8 years ago
    • > 8 years ago
    • I buy pre-built desktop computers.
    • I prefer laptops these days.
    • I don't need a computer. Smartphones and/or tablets ftw.

Haven't built my own personal one in about 10 years, moved to laptops full time 5 years ago (however I do have a T310 PowerEdge server that I use for lab work). PCs are a piece of cake to build these days, only a handful of parts. The challenge was building them 10 - 15 years ago.

I do end up having to pop a stick of RAM or replace a hard drive every now and then when the help desk is busy and need some extra resources (I'm a network admin).

After working in enterprise, you realise how much time is wasted building computers. OEM is much easier these days (I prefer anyway). Plus I have a couple of mates at Dell\HP that give me good deals when need be.

Wanna waste a Saturday\Sunday afternoon? Build a computer.... I'd rather go out and have a drink, and a good perv lol.

I pulled apart and re-assembled an old laptop a few weeks ago.

Will be doing so again (with some vintage [68k-based!] computers) in a month or two.

Dam... I, too, want to do something about my Atari 68k processor-based system.  Seeing people build PC from scratch on youtube excites me so much.  When I mean from scratch, I don't mean buy parts and put them together.  I mean even build your own CPU and stuff.

After building my own computers for.... something in the region of 18 years, I bought a laptop back in August last year and split my PC for component parts. It's been nice not having a tower unit, and having such a silent computer too. I may come back to a home build PC in the future, but I'm in no real rush tbh. 

I tinker with old Silicon Graphics UNIX hardware so the interest hasn't completely diminished - but it's only a fraction of what it once was. 

Sounds exciting.  I would tinker around with you on those project if I were your neighbor :p

Just last week I built three of these systems:

attachicon.gifWP_20140628_16_48_52_Raw.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20140629_13_06_51_Raw.jpg

Now they want me to quote them 30 more of the same or possibly with touchscreen monitors. Very excited about it.

You're very lucky to get that project.  Wow 30 units can get you some decent cash.  My tip is to order bulk/volume purchase.  For those monitors, you can even get the ones with less than 200$ maybe...

Dam... I, too, want to do something about my Atari 68k processor-based system.  Seeing people build PC from scratch on youtube excites me so much.  When I mean from scratch, I don't mean buy parts and put them together.  I mean even build your own CPU and stuff.

Any electrical engineer would be able to cold boot some silicon for you :). It's really cool to see.

I built my last PC almost 5 years ago. Was in fall 2009. It's a core i5 750 with a 5850.

It's now running a 770 and i added 8gb of ram and ssds but the mb, cpu, psu, case, original ram and everything else is the same as when i built it.

gpu upgrades are relatively cheap when you upgrade every year or so and wait for rebate after christmas. The old card can often be sold for around 66% of the new card cost. When you factor in the free games it's a relatively cheap upgrade. I upgraded the gpu 3 times from 5850 to 6950 (flashed to 6970) to 670 and finally to 770. The whole upgrade process probably did cost me around 350$ and i got many free games with it (Borderlands 2, watch Dog, Human Revolution, Drit 2, Dirt 3 and maybe others i forgot).

It was either late 2009 or earlier 2010 that I built my current computer with an i7 920.  Will likely be at least another year before I upgrade the whole system, only things I've done since the original build was a graphics card (swapped the 4850 for an HD6970 when they launched in late 2010) as well as an SSD in 2012.

• 2 months later...