Photo

Best (Free) low resource anti virus

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 damindor

damindor

Neowinian

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:30

I still have xp I cannot get MSE.I do not like avira since in my experince its just horrible resource hogger.WHat is the best free anti virus that does not eat resources

#2 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:32

For free Avast seems fairly good in this respect. For a paid option I'd probably look at ESET Nod32.

#3 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:40

I wouldn't recommend ESET NOD32. Got a free license from my ISP for ESET SMART Security and after installing it to try and see if it was improved from last time I tried it, had my not so weak test machine (i5 3570k, 16gb of ram, HD 7950 and Windows 8 64bit installed on SSD) having performance issues because of it. Programs started to load slower, regular internet surfing became slower and just the whole machine started to straggle with simple tasks; something that wasn't an issue prior to the installation of eset smart security. So removed it after a few days of use and the machine returned to normal operating speed.

#4 My8th

My8th

Neowinian

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:44

If you can find a way to get to get MSE it's supported til July 14, 2015 on Windows XP, I'm still using it.

#5 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:50

I wouldn't recommend ESET NOD32. Got a free license from my ISP for ESET SMART Security and after installing it to try and see if it was improved from last time I tried it, had my not so weak test machine (i5 3570k, 16gb of ram, HD 7950 and Windows 8 64bit installed on SSD) having performance issues because of it. Programs started to load slower, regular internet surfing became slower and just the whole machine started to straggle with simple tasks; something that wasn't an issue prior to the installation of eset smart security. So removed it after a few days of use and the machine returned to normal operating speed.

I've had problems with their full security suite as well, but the Nod32 by itself seems just fine. I had similar problems when I gave BitDefender Internet Security a try (after using just their AntiVirus for quite a while, which was just fine).

#6 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:53

Isn't NOD32 is the same as the ESET Smart Security, just without the firewall? I wouldn't think just the firewall would cause such performance issues.

#7 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:02

There is no such thing as an AV that is light on resources, even though every single one of them claim to be!

They get integrated into your machine way to much, to be light, especially since all of them try to do everything under the sun now a days.

#8 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:07

Isn't NOD32 is the same as the ESET Smart Security, just without the firewall? I wouldn't think just the firewall would cause such performance issues.

Yeah, I was surprised too, but that was my experience with it.

#9 Xahid

Xahid

Anokha Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:10

I have good experience of Panda Cloud Security. Its not resources hungry.

#10 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:02

Hello,

I've seen this happen before when ESET was installed on a computer that had remnants of the previously installed security software still on it.  They end up causing a conflict which slows thing down.  ESET's tech support folks are generally pretty good about sorting those kinds of issues out, if you want to try it again in the future.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#11 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:12

I use firefox, adblock and ghostery, and the built in Windows Defender. Just be smart about what you click on/ install and stay on the mainstream websites. I use Linux if I want to torrent, watch pr0n, etc. :D

#12 +CrossCheck

CrossCheck

i am a retarded disfigured clown

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:20

The best free-low resource antivirus is your brain. be careful what you download, don't open emails or attachments from people you do not know or an unusual attachment from someone you know that never sends attachments.. watch out for websites that might seem sketchy.

I have not had a virus in over 10 years, this is with using the following suggestions i have made. If this is not a route you are looking to go. pcmag recommends AVG anti virus free 2014. and as a safety net Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 to remove any malware you might get

#13 Aletheia

Aletheia

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:27

Definitely you should go with cloud antivirus. Either Panda Cloud or Immunet Cloud.

http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/

http://www.immunet.com/main/index.html

Very light on your resources. I use them on my netbook and older PCs with no problems.

#14 froggyliver

froggyliver

Neowinian

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:34

Panda Cloud (free) or VIPRE Antivirus (paid)

#15 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:45

You can still get MSE for XP (and it works).

But if you're in the market, I highly recommend ESET's NOD32 Antivirus. (Y)

You don't need to get the security suite if you don't need it - cuts down on the resources (and price!)