Gamescom 2014 News & Discussion

What is actually share play lol?

Don't really care about all those sharing feature. I just want to play Last of Us :(

Basically, it allows ps+ subscribers to jump into any game your friend is playing (they have to be ps+ users of course) as if you are sitting next to them (which makes it sound like it uses the local co-op feature of any game) without owning the game.

I still want to hear the exact details because I have questions about the mechanics of it all, but it sounds like a replacement for traditional demos.

Basically, it allows ps+ subscribers to jump into any game your friend is playing (they have to be ps+ users of course) as if you are sitting next to them (which makes it sound like it uses the local co-op feature of any game) without owning the game.

I still want to hear the exact details because I have questions about the mechanics of it all, but it sounds like a replacement for traditional demos.

Looks too good to be true to me. Big publishers wont like it.

Anyway not like i'm gonna use this if i ever buy a PS4 all my friends are die hard xbox fans lol

That share feature sounds great and can certainly be the push for me to pick up a PS4.  Sports games are the perfect reason for this.. always looking to play Madden, Fifa, NHL vs friends.. 

The more I think about share play, the more I wonder if this is a way to move us away from traditional demos. There has been a lot of talk about the trend of fewer traditional demos, and this feature (exclusive to ps+ users), seems to give another excuse to developers to not create a traditional demo, but just let SharePlay be the vehicle for demos.

It will be interesting to follow.

I really hope demos come in more abundance for this generation.

But it looks like devs are trying to their best to avoid giving us demos.

With the usual "demos aren't part of the budget" or "time consuming, and extends the project scope".

Always found that to be lame, because it doesn't seem to be so hard to break a chunk of code to give people a slice of the game pie.

Seems Microsoft will be in a lose/lose situation no matter what they do.

They have really tried to meet all of the demands requested. And when they do flex their muscle they are scolded for it.

Stop talking about media and talk about games. Done

Stop with the Kinect stuff people don't want it.

Then just like that, Microsoft is wrong for getting and securing games

And on another forum I read: Where's the Kinect support...

Like they say, be careful what you ask for.

Microsoft is flexing $$$-muscle and they know that, no one can compete with them in this area.

• Like 2

The fact of the matter is that a lot of people "left" MS for PS4 having certain expectations and MS is doing stuff to have people want a Xbox One or resent that they don't have one. The TR exclusive thing, oh, so you mad? Stay mad, it happened (DEAL WITH IT). If it's timed, it's timed, if it's not, play it at a friends, buy the system, or shut up. Funny thing is, it's because majority of gamers for next-gen are PS4, when they don't get something that they think that they should, they blame MS for stupid stuff (being anti-consumer, not paying attention to PC, etc...). Now Playstation has exclusives but you don't see a lot of people butthurt over it. Oh, right, because MS is all evil and stuff and people still won't get one because they didn't release the system that you thought they were going to. I was hoping to see Shenmue III (yea, I know, the pipedream of all pipedreams) and if it was a PS4 exclusive, guess what I would have done, bought a damn PS4. Yea, not everyone can afford two systems, but how many of you have friends with the other system? You can't just buy the game and go over? Yea, it's not ideal, but it's something you can do. Just an example. Exclusives happen, get over it.

As for the Share Play, hopefully it works as intended. That's the only thing that was cool that came out of Sony's conference to me. Xbox conference didn't really excite me, it was stuff outside of it, the system features and Killer Instinct Season 2 information.

• Like 2

Haven't watched MS' conference yet but sounds like we're getting some nice features in the dash. Can't believe MKV is actually happening :laugh:

Loved that Sony pushed lots of new IP in their show.

Hellblade / Ninja Theory :woot:

Can't believe MKV is actually happening :laugh:

I'm still shocked. I'll check again tomorrow when i wake up just to be sure it's not a dream.

This said not really a good news cause i have 1000 people to contact to remind them how microsoft would never support mkv cause it was used by pirates only. Yeah guys you were damn right ... oh no wait i ****** was. Any self respecting media player MUST support mkv. Good job MS better late then never.

• Like 1

Think of share play as 1-1 twitch/game streaming between you and a friend, with the added extra of you being able to use your controller and play as well.

I was confused on that point. why would you need another feature to just watch someone play? There is already twitch support. The unique part is being able to play that game as if you are at the same location.

I'm still not sure how that works. Are they hacking the game to treat an online player as local and force split screen? Is it an OS level feature or do games have to support it?

I'm still shocked. I'll check again tomorrow when i wake up just to be sure it's not a dream.

This said not really a good news cause i have 1000 people to contact to remind them how microsoft would never support mkv cause it was used by pirates only. Yeah guys you were damn right ... oh no wait i ****** was. Any self respecting media player MUST support mkv. Good job MS better late then never.

Now we just need to get on Sony to offer the same.

Haven't watched MS' conference yet but sounds like we're getting some nice features in the dash. Can't believe MKV is actually happening :laugh:

Loved that Sony pushed lots of new IP in their show.

Hellblade / Ninja Theory :woot:

You would focus on the dash features :laugh:

Beyond that, I really enjoyed seeing the new IP show up, even if we didn't see gameplay footage. Plus, it looks like both consoles have a strong indie game lineup now. I guess that helps fill in the void left by a lack of exclusives.

Sure like i said any self respecting media player must support mkv. If it doesn't then it's not a media player worth talking about.

I was confused on that point. why would you need another feature to just watch someone play? There is already twitch support. The unique part is being able to play that game as if you are at the same location.

I'm still not sure how that works. Are they hacking the game to treat an online player as local and force split screen? Is it an OS level feature or do games have to support it?

It is essentially peer-to-peer Gaikai. So it is streaming the video stream to a friend with additional option to control. There is no multiplayer element to it, it is essentially handing the controller over, as if you were letting a friend use your controller sitting next to you. So using the same Gaikai technology as PS Now you can share your screen and then allow your friend to take control of your game. You're not allowing an additional controller for split-screen, etc.

Overall when you handover control your PS4 just becomes a Gaikai server in exactly the same way as people will eventually be playing games via PS Now.

EA's Conference has just kicked off, let see if we get some news about EA Access :P

For the same reason it's ms job to support the xbox.

Until recently Sony made PCs - I have never seen people claim that they should support PC gaming. Why only MS? 

Maybe it's because MS is responsible for the platform that runs 99.9% of PC games while Sony is not.

MS is doing crap for PC gaming. The whole DX12 is just reactionary to AMD's Mantle and I'm sure AMD will also have a big say about its implementation. They should get their heads out of their asses and figure out that screwing one part of the customer base in favour of another is not going to promote any loyalty.

DX12 is just reactionary and still shows 70% more performance and 50% less power consumption than DX11? I hope MS puts real efforts into DX12 then.

sp3_dx11_dx12_perf.jpg

sp3_dx11_dx12_power.jpg

Source: https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2014/08/11/siggraph-2014-directx-12-on-intel

You would focus on the dash features :laugh:

Beyond that, I really enjoyed seeing the new IP show up, even if we didn't see gameplay footage. Plus, it looks like both consoles have a strong indie game lineup now. I guess that helps fill in the void left by a lack of exclusives.

Well I havent watched the conference yet so I've no idea what games were announced etc. I only know about QB's trailer because they talked about it in advance and the TR news because I lol'd when people outcried at the "exclusivity". We all saw what happened with Guardian of Light.

Until recently Sony made PCs - I have never seen people claim that they should support PC gaming. Why only MS? 

DX12 is just reactionary and still shows 70% more performance and 50% less power consumption than DX11? I hope MS puts real efforts into DX12 then.

Because Sony was not responsible for the OS that runs the vast majority of PC games. If you you wanted to talk about hardware, you might have a point if you used Intel, Nvidia and AMD. Then again MS does not make PC gaming related hardware aside from some peripherals, so talking about hardware is irrelevant.

Exactly. If AMD hadn't kicked everyone in the butt (MS and Khronos), you'd see lower performance and consumption improvements in the next versions of DX and OpenGL. Mantle was released (partly) as a proof of concept because the people responsible for the two big APIs didn't want to commit to closer-to-the-metal.

Exactly. If AMD hadn't kicked everyone in the butt (MS and Khronos), you'd see lower performance and consumption improvements in the next versions of DX and OpenGL. Mantle was released (partly) as a proof of concept because the people responsible for the two big APIs didn't want to commit to closer-to-the-metal.

You do release that back in the day when 3D gaming was starting everyone had their own 3d libraries, Voodoo is a prime example. DirectX/OpenGL came about to move away from all these proprietary libraries so developers could target one 3d graphics library to save on countless hours of development work.

Now we're removing that layer which translated between hardware differences for performance reasons and developers have more to work to do with more libraries which detriments the focus which can be put in soley. In consoles it makes sense, but not PC. 

Although, in DX12 you're obviously still working in DX, you just have differences between architectures which have to be catered for.

Because Sony was not responsible for the OS that runs the vast majority of PC games. If you you wanted to talk about hardware, you might have a point if you used Intel, Nvidia and AMD. Then again MS does not make PC gaming related hardware aside from some peripherals, so talking about hardware is irrelevant.

intel, amd, NVidia are not the big 3 console makers of our times. Sony is.

Are you saying that MS started working on DX12 after AMD announced Mantle? That is just...I don't know what to say here.

You do release that back in the day when 3D gaming was starting everyone had their own 3d libraries, Voodoo is a prime example. DirectX/OpenGL came about to move away from all these proprietary libraries so developers could target one 3d graphics library to save on countless hours of development work.

Now we're removing that layer which translated between hardware differences for performance reasons and developers have more to work to do with more libraries which detriments the focus which can be put in soley. In consoles it makes sense, but not PC. 

Although, in DX12 you're obviously still working in DX, you just have differences between architectures which have to be catered for.

I do know the reasons the APIs are like this, but hardware is a lot more stable now than it was back then and that is why they're starting to remove some of the API ovehead. I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me in the rest of the post? Maybe that more APIs are a bad thing with which I do agree, however AMD is willing to share and are actively involved in the development of both DX12 and OpenGL.

intel, amd, NVidia are not the big 3 console makers of our times. Sony is.

Are you saying that MS started working on DX12 after AMD announced Mantle? That is just...I don't know what to say here.

You must have missed a turn somewhere, because I was talking about PC hardware. Even so, you must not know this judging by your post, but the technology of the APUs inside both current consoles comes from AMD. The console manufacturers had a say in the implementation, but they did not design it from scratch.

Of course they were working on DX12 before, but the closer-to-the-metal approach was not considered until AMD launched (not announced) Mantle. Do try and pay attention next time.

I do know the reasons the APIs are like this, but hardware is a lot more stable now than it was back then and that is why they're starting to remove some of the API ovehead. I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me in the rest of the post? Maybe that more APIs are a bad thing with which I do agree, however AMD is willing to share and are actively involved in the development of both DX12 and OpenGL.

You must have missed a turn somewhere, because I was talking about PC hardware. Even so, you must not know this judging by your post, but the technology of the APUs inside both current consoles comes from AMD. The console manufacturers had a say in the implementation, but they did not design it from scratch.

Of course they were working on DX12 before, but the closer-to-the-metal approach was not considered until AMD launched (not announced) Mantle. Do try and pay attention next time.

Ignoring your condescending attitude :rolleyes: , I am referring to "why MS only must support PC gaming" argument. You must have missed that my post was referring to two different arguments that you made in this thread.

1. MS must support PC gaming

2. MS made DX12 close to metal only because AMD made Mantle

Yeah I know intel, AMD, Nvidia, IBM and Toshiba all have been involved in making of various console components including Xbox. I don't know what you are trying to say with it.

Consoles have been "close to metal" for the longest time including the AMD designed Xenon for Xbox 360. Why did they not do Mantle in 2005-06?

Ignoring your condescending attitude :rolleyes: , I am referring to "why MS only must support PC gaming" argument. You must have missed that my post was referring to two different arguments that you made in this thread.

1. MS must support PC gaming

2. MS made DX12 close to metal only because AMD made Mantle

Yeah I know intel, AMD, Nvidia, IBM and Toshiba all have been involved in making of various console components including Xbox. I don't know what you are trying to say with it.

Consoles have been "close to metal" for the longest time including the AMD designed Xenon for Xbox 360. Why did they not do Mantle in 2005-06?

Well, you're the one who brought hardware into the discussion with the whole Sony had a PC hardware division, while I was talking about the software environment used to run the majority of PC games, i.e. Windows.

1. Actually my argument was not that MS must support PC gaming, I've lost faith in that a long time ago. What I don't want them to do is work against it by paying a dev to delay a game from a PC franchise. MS can support Xbox all they want as long as they don't cripple PC in the process, make their own damn exclusive 3rd person action/adventure game.

Doesn't matter, like I said, hardware is mostly irrelevant to my points. They probably didn't do Mantle then because their hardware and software was not at the necessary level or they didn't have the money since AMD has had cash problems for a long time. It's also much easier with consoles since they have fixed hardware. Using the same argument, why didn't MS go closer to the metal with DX on PC when they did it on Xbox 360? (this is rhetorical btw)