Photo
xbox one microsoft dashboard update external storage mkv

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46 SnoopZ

SnoopZ

Resistance is Futile

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:44

With much frustration and annoyance, my backup drive is not recognized by the media player, and every MKV file I threw at it would not play from my USB drive. Yay.

It is early days yet and compatibility will improve, but i successfully converted an MKV to MP4 with AAC audio using MKVtoMP4 and it plays fine from a memory stick.

#47 dipsylalapo

dipsylalapo

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:16

With much frustration and annoyance, my backup drive is not recognized by the media player, and every MKV file I threw at it would not play from my USB drive. Yay.

I haven't had the chance to try this myself but I don't think that MKV support is there just yet. It should be there by the end of the year (if not before)

#48 dipsylalapo

dipsylalapo

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:20

I will come out and say it flat out. You are Wrong on that.

Most people don't have Smart TV's, and Most people with Consoles don't play on Smart TV's. I know two people who have a Smart TV, out of probably a hundred.. The rest have normal Flat Screens of various quality.And most of them with Consoles have it set up on a secondary TV for their kids, or for themselves, not in the main family room.

I would be Shocked if even half of all console owners had a Smart TV. Much less used that TV for their gaming needs.. People forget a very large portion of people with consoles have it either in a rec room, where they will likely have an older TV, or are students and the like, who will have a small tv in their room or dorm.

And this is above and beyond what the others have pointed out, that most smart tv features are garbage.

I agree with most of what you said in general, but I'm talking exclusively about the Xbox One and what it provides above and beyond simply plugging a USB into a Smart TV. 

The Xbox One outputs exclusively using HDMI and most (if not all TVs) with HDMI will have basic USB functionality. Again I'm not talking about anyone that owns a TV, I'm talking specifically about what Xbox One owners. 

I'll give you the last point about the Smart TV features ;) but will disagree with everything else :p

#49 Ryoken

Ryoken

The Other Other White Meat

• Phone: iPhone 4S, Nexus 7, iPad Mini

Posted 19 August 2014 - 19:33

I agree with most of what you said in general, but I'm talking exclusively about the Xbox One and what it provides above and beyond simply plugging a USB into a Smart TV. 

The Xbox One outputs exclusively using HDMI and most (if not all TVs) with HDMI will have basic USB functionality. Again I'm not talking about anyone that owns a TV, I'm talking specifically about what Xbox One owners. 

I'll give you the last point about the Smart TV features ;) but will disagree with everything else :p

I'd even call fault there, most if not all HDTV's have had HDMI for half a decade, or more..

I mean I got a TV a few months ago, it's my bedroom TV, good brand, 3x HDMI.. no Media function or anything.. USB is just for updating firmware.

Most new High End TV's do have their own mediaplayer and such, yes.. But those are still a very small fraction of TV's sold.. most are no-name TV's from walmart and such, followed by the lower end models of the brand names, which also lack those functions.

In a Decade or so, you'll be right.. But most current TV's sold have no smart TV features, and the vast majority of TV's sold before lack those features.. Until most all TV's sold have the features built in, and until people need to replace their old ones, I'll still put Smart TV's as a minority.

Also as for why XBox One over just using your Smart TV (assuming it's player isn't ######).. well, XBox One also will play your DVD's and other stand alone media, it'll let you play games, etc.. all without signing out, changing devices, changing remotes.. It's convenience.. Not to mention the XBox One will get updates, which means in theory it's support of formats should carry on for years, vs a Smart TV that gets only the most basic update, rarely any new features or new support (no, they want you to buy a new TV for that stuff..)

#50 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 19 August 2014 - 20:01

Really, my Samsung Smart TV and Plex work GREAT! no need to have some dam usb drive or stick installed to play some movies. Nice server sitting away holding 12TB of data and streaming to my TV over wifi. Love having just ONE device to watch all my media, and not needing to have three or four devices installed.

I get what what your saying. And I agree, to an extent.

Media off of USB is ok...

But the Xbox One will be enabling DLNA soon, which is even better.  To turn on the One, and everything seems, well seemless...