IE11 keeps losing tabs from previous session

I have a big problem with IE11 and I'm curious to know if others are affected. 

IE11 frequently loses all tabs from the previous session, even if it is set to open tabs from the previous session.  Moreover, when it loses all my tabs (it can be just a few or a dozen from the last session), it frequently also loses the 'restore tabs from last session' option. 

A ticket has been opened with Microsoft but I haven't heard or read much about IE11 tab loss elsewhere. 

I was able to recreate the issue (aka 'use IE until it fails')  after the following scenarios:

Clean install of Win8

Clean install of Win8.1

Refresh of Win8.1

Refresh of Win 8.1 with the August update.

Hardware has also changed during this process.

MS has not acknowledged a problem.  The MS thread is https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedbackdetail/view/905535/tabs-from-last-session-are-not-reopened-despite-the-option-being-set#tabs (not sure if everyone will have access).

Tab loss was the reason I stopped using IE after trying to get back into it (I love the syncing between my WinPhone and Surface).

I tried the DWORD suggestion but it didn't work for me.

what about using another browser? seriously, this seems like a big bug to me. firefox for example, even if forced quit or crashed, it always has the restore option - always. i think the same can be said for opera and probably chromium as well.

The point of me switching back to IE was to ensure syncing across all my devices.  Essentially, the 'MS ecosystem'.  I can go back to Chrome but it defeats the purpose and I can't afford to switch everything for a iOS/Mac setup (yet; if that would even help).

The problem persists after clean installs.  It only seems to affect the desktop version of IE, also.  Tabs are never lost on my Surface (IE is in Modern mode); but that may just be how I'm using the device.