Photo

Windows X64 Only Alternative Poll

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Windows X64 Only Alternative Poll

Should Windows 9 be X64 only?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 August 2014 - 22:31

"Dead horse, I will continue to beat you."

Even Microsoft recommends installing the 32-bit version of Office on 64-bit machines, because of plugin support. Windows x64 only is still 5-10 years away. Just my $0.02.

That is STILL rewarding developers for dragging their feet.  How long has x64 been selling in greater numbers than x32?  In the case of Windows, going back to Vista - in the case of Office, since Office 2010 - in that case, basically from the start, as 2010 was the first x64 version of Office.  I don't reward foot-dragging by browser developers (and there is no longer a reason to, as the biggest culprit in terms of browser plug-ins - Adobe - DOES have an x64 Flash Player - for Waterfox), so why should we keep on rewarding foot-dragging by any other developers?  Unless developers have incentive to move, they won't - and we ALL know it.

Threshold should include a warning for developers - WoW64 is going away with the next version;  they have dragged their feet long enough.

#17 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 August 2014 - 22:34

Apple did it..

Apple STILL hasn't moved to fully x64 - like Windows x64 (or Linux x64, for that matter), there are still x32 parts of the OS (and for the same reason there are in both Windows and Linux - the infamous "backward-compatibiilty support")  And that is in Yosemite - and every OS X prior.

#18 OP My8th

My8th

Neowinian

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:09

I found a person with these specs Windows 7 32-bit, 2.2 Ghz Core 2 Duo and Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT. He'd probably be able to play the top three steam games with no issues with those specs, I wonder why he sticks with 32-bit. Though I don't know how much physical ram he has in that system.

#19 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:22

It's pointless releasing another 32-bit version of Windows as all PCs come with at least 4GB of RAM nowadays.

#20 OP My8th

My8th

Neowinian

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:07

World of Warcraft even has 64-bit mode and it reduces out of memory crashes usually caused by flaky plugins/UI mods. It also increases FPS by a few frames.

#21 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:16

What year will we move on to 64-bit, if not now ?

I'd think true programmers would enjoy rewriting the out-dated 32-bit programs.

Kind of a mystery why we aren't stepping forward to 128-bit by now ...

#22 Knive Party

Knive Party

To Death

• Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:37

Apple did it..

Apple and MS segment the market in different fashions. If MS were to go 64bit, which they should it would take alot for focus and development to update their entire ecosystem.

#23 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:52

I think, Microsoft needs to come up with a definite deadline as to when X86 versions of their software will be discontinued and when we can expect to see WOW64 layer being dropped completely from X64 versions. The clear roadmap will allow developers to focus their energies on specific architecture while coding. Let the businesses who will want to run 8 bit apps of last century remain forever on the old operating systems of their choice. They are not going to upgrade to newer versions of Windows anyways.

It would be awesome if Windows 9 is X64 only with WOW64 layer in 2015. Then from 2018, Windows goes pure X64 without WOW.

Microsoft needs to convey their vision to developers. But as usual, Microsoft will remain confused and push unimportant ideas like abomination called Modern UI and likes instead of X64.

#24 +dsbig

dsbig

Neowinian

Posted 22 August 2014 - 15:06

its harder to find x64 plugins for free video editors and free video players.

and some devs say there is no reason to make an x64 because it not needed and some 64bit software is unstable in windows 8, compared to windows 7. I dont know what the heck happened with that. 

things are slowly switching, everyone is used to 32bit because of windows xp

yeah there was a 64bit of windows xp, but drivers where crap. and not many home consumers used it.

vista was the push the got companies going and  companies took long time to get there act together and it still on going.

#25 Tony.

Tony.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 August 2014 - 15:08

I think it will be another release or two before we get 64bit only versions with WOW32 support, but I think it'll be at least another decade before WOW32 is ditched or kept as an optional addition.

#26 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 August 2014 - 17:12

I found a person with these specs Windows 7 32-bit, 2.2 Ghz Core 2 Duo and Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT. He'd probably be able to play the top three steam games with no issues with those specs, I wonder why he sticks with 32-bit. Though I don't know how much physical ram he has in that system.

And there is absolutely zero reason that he should STILL be running an x32 version of Windows on that hardware other than not wanting to crossgrade - that hardware CAN run the x64 flavor of Windows 7 - unless he has LESS than 1 GB of RAM.

#27 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 22 August 2014 - 17:18

Anyone who votes for "X64 only without WOW(32-bit support) " is ignorant of how Windows works and obviously doesn't care to run any popular apps.

#28 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

Posted 22 August 2014 - 17:18

Kind of a mystery why we aren't stepping forward to 128-bit by now ...

Finding that 18 quintillion address limit a bit too restrictive are we? :rolleyes:

#29 OP My8th

My8th

Neowinian

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:05

Finding that 18 quintillion address limit a bit too restrictive are we? :rolleyes:

For me yes, my time machine needs to load up a large set of data at the same time to do fast calculations to navigate the timestream.