My next smartphone will run

Current Phone is Lumia 521, see no reason to upgrade as I am content with what I have. I would rather spend money towards a SP3 or something.

Putting aside the irony of using an outdated expression to criticise and (alleged) outdated view, the app situation on WP8 compared iOS and Android isn't even close. Popular games aren't there (tapped out, candy crush etc.), various banking apps aren't there (there are web wrappers but I ain't using that crap to log into my bank), I don't think there is a chromecast app, is there a youtube app yet? Instagram is still in beta, I don't think there is a dropbox app, no feedly app . . . And these are just ones I am thinking of off the top of my head.

1. Games aren't really all that important for someone my age.

2. I could care less about banking apps, as I don't want that information on something that can easily be misplaced, or stolen - That's Security 101.

3. Chromecast? Are you serious? And yes, there is a Feedly, and a YouTube app, however, I do recommend the third party MetroTube app that isn't subject to Google's ridiculous idiocy. I haven't heard so much of a peep from Dropbox since their horrible fall from grace two years ago. Didn't know anyone still used them.

Amazon has the 1020 for $.01 under contract (AT&T). I love mine.

I tried applying for that, but couldn't since my contract isn't eligible for an upgrade yet. What a bunch of BS.

1. Games aren't really all that important for someone my age.

Which is only relevant to you. They aren't tailoring an entire company and app ecosystem to you. It should have those popular games.

2. I could care less about banking apps, as I don't want that information on something that can easily be misplaced, or stolen - That's Security 101.

Being able to log into your accounts is no less secure on a mobile device than on a desktop. Most time out after X minutes and don't store or you can choose not to store account numbers/password. A lot of people, especially in business, want to be able to access their accounts on mobile devices & the official apps from the financial institutions should exist. 

3. Chromecast? Are you serious? And yes, there is a Feedly, and a YouTube app, however, I do recommend the third party MetroTube app that isn't subject to Google's ridiculous idiocy. I haven't heard so much of a peep from Dropbox since their horrible fall from grace two years ago. Didn't know anyone still used them.

Why would I not be serious? It's a device that has sold millions & apps for it exist on other platforms. Google's idiocy doesn't affect the youtube app on my ipad. Plenty of people use dropbox, you're just being dismissive because it isn't on your platform.

It should have those popular games.

Tell that to the developers then. Microsoft has no control over that.

Being able to log into your accounts is no less secure on a mobile device than on a desktop. Most time out after X minutes and don't store or you can choose not to store account numbers/password. A lot of people, especially in business, want to be able to access their accounts on mobile devices & the official apps from the financial institutions should exist.

It worse on a cell phone, especially when your mobile to log into these accounts. There's just too many ways passwords, and other logon information, not to mention account numbers can be stolen off a mobile device, especially when connected to wifi.

Why would I not be serious? It's a device that has sold millions & apps for it exist on other platforms. Google's idiocy doesn't affect the youtube app on my ipad. Plenty of people use dropbox, you're just being dismissive because it isn't on your platform.

Until Google unfraks themselves, and their irrational hatred, then no, there will not be Google apps on the Windows Phone.

Previous: Galaxy S4

Current: iPhone 5

Next: ?

Probably the iPhone 6 or maybe an Android phone again.

- I liked the Android OS when I had the S4 but it became slow and lagged between screen swipes and other basic functions. A few friends have bought the S5 and its seems to run much smoother so will see what the S6 brings to the table. I like the widgets and also the fact you don't need iTunes to transfer files over to your phone with Android, but the iPhones always run smooth and you get the IOS updates as soon as they are available unlike Samsung android phones and the finger print scanner unlock feature seems useful too on the new iPhones.

I might look into a Nexus also.

iPhone 6 vs Samsung S6 vs Nexus 6 - The three 6's lol.

I'm surprised by the comparatively high number of future Windows Phone users in this poll, as well as the low number of votes for iOS. Although it's not too unexpected a result considering Neowin's user base. The result would be vastly different were this poll held on a more mainstream website.

If you're using android aren't you pretty much already in their ecosystem? You'd have bought apps etc. for it. If you switch you are going to have to buy all that crap all over again.

Windows phone's app support seems to be kind of ######. A lot of the apps just seem to be web wrappers. A friend of mine who is pretty loyal to MS ditched his WP a few months ago and just got an iPhone. His main complaint about WP was crappy app support.

I'll be sticking with android.

I've weighed my options carefully. WP is far from perfect, but at the moment it ticks all the right boxes for me. As for purchased apps, it's not like I'm losing them. Any future Android device I (might) get can still use them just fine.

I'm surprised by the comparatively high number of future Windows Phone users in this poll, as well as the low number of votes for iOS. Although it's not too unexpected a result considering Neowin's user base. The result would be vastly different were this poll held on a more mainstream website.

I really hope I'm not the the typical representative of Neowin's userbase :p

I tried applying for that, but couldn't since my contract isn't eligible for an upgrade yet. What a bunch of BS.

That sucks. I'm a year into my 1020. I love it. It is clearly the best phone Ive ever owned and I've owned just about every iPhone up to the 4S. I work with the 5S at work and I still think my 1020 kicks its ass.

That sucks. I'm a year into my 1020. I love it. It is clearly the best phone Ive ever owned and I've owned just about every iPhone up to the 4S. I work with the 5S at work and I still think my 1020 kicks its ass.

Wanna trade? :laugh:

Currently own a Nexus 4 but not looking to upgrade any time soon, if I do it will more than likely be another Android (Nexus 6 maybe?) but can never say, I'm not "loyal" to any brand really and do keep considering a Windows phone

rocking a win 8.1 here. mostly happy with it. but missing some apps :/ my next phone is going to be Android unless Nokia releases no bezel pureview phone like the sharp phone we saw recently.

Current: Nexus 5

Next: Nexus 6 or Note 4

I was tempted to get an iPhone 6 and give iOS a go but I'm afraid I'll really miss some stuff I currently take for granted with Android (root, adblocking, xposed modules, no iTunes). I like the direction Android 5.0 is taking anyway so not too bothered.

• Like 1

Are you being sarcastic?  You mix sarcastic with facts it's hard to tell what you're trying to say.

I don't know yet. It's between Android and Windows Phone. It will never be iOS or Blackberry.

The new version of Android looks stupid as hell, and Windows Phone is...well, Windows Phone. So I'm kind of stuck between two lame choices.

Hi,

When I joined the company I currently work for, they had an iPhone 4s waiting for me. Since it is consultancy company that works with MS products, I thought it was not cool. At the first chance I swapped with a colleague in Marketing who was using a Nokia 520. Soon after I had the chance to upgrade properly and now I'm using the Nokia Lumia 925. Much nicer. :)

Now, as for the question in the poll... I'd need more options becuase of Work+Home phones. I've been using WinPhone for 3 years now and I think I'll stick to it along with a Nexus 7 tablet. If the Nexus made way for a Surface or Nokia tablet I'd be tempted to get a Lenovo or Nexus 5 Android phone.

I really really do not like the itunes, and the fact you have to athorize the device to connect.

i love the fact that android just shows up as a normal hard drive. 

i am considering wp...  but i never used it yet, so i have no idea how i would like it.    someone posted on here, the things that bug them about WP, and reading them, i was so happy i did not buy wp phone, since they sounded like a real deal breaker for me.

but it was possibly back in the WP7 days...

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed just now that on the front page, the same(ish) poll shows a significant lead for Windows Phone.

post-125341-0-90432100-1410292511.png

Will be interesting to see the difference between the forumites and the front page lurkers. :shifty: