Rant: And they get away with it

So I was wandering about looking for the cables for an old printer I needed to hook up, and as cables do, they vanished to some remote Pacific island with displaced socks.

Going in person to pick up a simple replacement 6' USB-A to USB-B cable ended up costing me $12. 

Picking up a 4 port USB 2.0 hub? $4.99. Free shipping.

Something about this seems a bit off, yet I paid for it all with minimal grumbling. And I will again, too, because we have little choice. A side effect of this is that I have 2 large drawers full of various random cables, because... you never know.

And on a related topic... hardware manufacturers, it would be really, really nice if you just stamped your logo on your power cables. Half of the time there isn't even the raw electrical information.

I think that is it for now, thanks.

You can label them yourself...  very simple.

Use the label maker and print whatever you want for that specific cable/cord.

I have much of cables/power cords in 2 boxes... I keep them in case I lose the original cable or cord.

Not all manufacturers label their products... some do...  Dell labels theirs cords for the laptops.

If no label, you can use label maker and print something out and put it on that cord/cable.

So I was wandering about looking for the cables for an old printer I needed to hook up, and as cables do, they vanished to some remote Pacific island with displaced socks.

Going in person to pick up a simple replacement 6' USB-A to USB-B cable ended up costing me $12. 

Something about this seems a bit off, yet I paid for it all with minimal grumbling. And I will again, too, because we have little choice. A side effect of this is that I have 2 large drawers full of various random cables, because... you never know.

And on a related topic... hardware manufacturers, it would be really, really nice if you just stamped your logo on your power cables. Half of the time there isn't even the raw electrical information.

I call BS.

Also, if you need USB cables and can't find one laying around? Go to the dollar store.

It is something that shouldn't even be an issue. If you're going to gouge me for the cost of a cable, at least label it. :-p

It is something that shouldn't even be an issue. If you're going to gouge me for the cost of a cable, at least label it. :-p

No.. it is their decision to label it or not...    if no label, you can do it yourself..   or memorize them in your mind.

Don't be lazy.

I use monoprice for every cord. Mostly for Ethernet purchases. But have bought USB, DVI, HDMI to DP adapter, etc.

The best of both worlds, man..

Why would ever buy these cables at a B&M store (unless you needed it immediately!)? I know it's not a lot of money, but you could've bought a USB cable for <$2 as shown above. What you just bought is the equivalent of spending $30+ on a HDMI cable at a store like Best Buy.

Pro Tip: Organize your own cables - put cables in zip lock bags or even a plastic bags and label them! It makes it super easy to find what you're looking for, rather than having a drawer full of cables. 

i don't understand your point, thought: you are rating because of the prices or because the power cables aren't NEMA 5-15 grounded (Type B) standard (IEC 60906-2)?

Pro Tip: Organize your own cables - put cables in zip lock bags or even a plastic bags and label them! It makes it super easy to find what you're looking for, rather than having a drawer full of cables. 

This. Don't be lazy with cables, because when need it it will take some time to find them (and if they are network cables the socket is pretty easy to break).

Half of the time there isn't even the raw electrical information.

HUH? I don't think I've ever seen a certified power adapter (cleared by UL or some other agency) that doesn't have voltage, amperage, max line voltage, Hz, etc printed on it