gaming video games discussion

72 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,500 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 05 September 2014 - 20:24

What's the one game that is/was really popular that never quite grabbed you?

Mine: Minecraft. Not my speed. I can see why people like it, but it really isn't for me.

#2 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,649 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 20:26

Titanfall.  Played it once for a few hours, tossed it aside.

#3 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,737 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 05 September 2014 - 20:34

COD 4+

loved call of duty back when it was about recreating historic was. after 4 though they just became ... the same. not much has changed in them since 4 & I never really cared about the multiplayer in it. I liked the stories

#4 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,762 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Another one for MineCraft. My girl loves it to death, but me... meh.
The Sims series. A big 10.0 on the Meh-o-meter.
Sports games. Bad enough my shows get interrupted by this junk on TV from time to time, zero desire to play it virtually. I'll go outside if the mood hits.
CoD/BF/Whatever, never got into shooters much either, with a few exceptions.

#5 bdsams

bdsams

Neowinian Senior

• 11,670 posts

GTA

#6 Asmodai

Asmodai

Neowinian

• 1,102 posts
  • Phone: Motorola Droid Mini

Posted 05 September 2014 - 20:40

What's the one game that is/was really popular that never quite grabbed you?

Mine: Minecraft. Not my speed. I can see why people like it, but it really isn't for me.

The Last of Us.

It seems like everyone is raving about it so despite my general dislike of story based games I went ahead and picked up The Last of Us: Remastered for the PS4.  I thought this game is supposed to be one of the greatest story games ever so if I'm ever going to like one.. this one is probably it.  Nope.

I guess I'm unusual that I don't play games for "Story", I watch movies for that.  To me on of the major factors (though certainly not the only one) that determine if a game is good is if my actions seem to effect the world, if I perceive different outcomes depending on choices I make.  Now sometime that perception is an illusion created but the developers I'll grant you, computer tech only goes so far, but making me think there is branching going on is still better then there being absolutely none.  If my experience is the exact same as my friends (except maybe it took me more tries to get past part X) or my second play through is the same as my first then the game is at best a rent, certainly not a buy.  When I play The Last of Us I feel like the story is already written and I'm just going through the motions.  What I do doesn't really matter execept I may fail and have to reload to be fed the next segment of the pre-written plot.  I HATE that feeling.

I'd much rather play "open world" games and even then I often ignore the plot (I've played every Elder Scrolls from the beginning but Skyrim was the first I ever actually finished the plot, all others I just ran around doing my own thing... no story at all, and loving it.)  To me the plot serves more as a tutorial or an experience gateway to make sure I've gotten a handle on Area A before opening up the more difficult Area B.

I fully acknowledge that I'm in the minority though.  "Story" gamers seem to be FAR, FAR, more numerous.

#7 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• 16,494 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 05 September 2014 - 20:42

Almost exactly what I was going to say. (Y)

I'd also say the Final Fantasy series; I've given VII a few tries (as it's the quintessential FF game in the eyes of most fans), but I could never really get into it. Weirdly, the only one that I managed to get into in any way was XIII; one of the fanbase's least favourites. I could never finish it though; I sunk ~40 hours into it, got eternally stuck on the last boss in Chapter 11 (out of 13), ended up leaving it to collect dust for a couple of years and then sold it.

#8 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

• 36,169 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 21:32

Call of Duty.

If I ever play competitive MP games I prefer those in which I feel I'm contributing even if I don't have to be a twitch lone soldier master. I'm a Team Fortress kind of guy, enjoying PvZ. I did enjoy Counter Strike, but it was basic enough that it wasn't filled with perks and all the other crap COD is.

Other than that fighting games, I've never been big on them, not even Smash Brothers and the likes. I remember enjoying Tekken for a bit when I was younger, but just not anymore. I guess that ties back to me being more of a lone gamer, or preferring co-operative MP or MP where I can contribute without just having to top the leaderboards with kills.

I really want to enjoy Destiny, but I have a feeling if I get it I'll give up on it. We'll see.

#9 Earthworm_Jim

Earthworm_Jim

GROOVY_!

• 7,278 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 21:33

minecraft.      any subscription based MMO (like warcraft, etc)  or any free to play game where you have to buy things to speed up progress!

#10 Mur

Mur

Design & Conquer

• 70 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4s

Posted 05 September 2014 - 21:38

World of Warcraft.

I played RuneScape for the longest time and didn't want to switch over to a different MMO. I still refuse to play League but I know I'll have to at one point since I'm getting into game design & development, so experience with all of them is pretty essential to say the least.

#11 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• 16,494 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 05 September 2014 - 21:38

any subscription based MMO (like warcraft, etc)

I forgot to mention that. :pinch: Might be a bit hypocritical of me to say that though, considering I'm currently subscribed to iRacing. :p

#12 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 9,810 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 05 September 2014 - 21:47

Angry Birds

Candy Crush

Farmville

etc.

#13 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,917 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 21:50

Pacman .... always sucked at it.

#14 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• 8,375 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 05 September 2014 - 22:25

I never thought much of the Bioshock games. 

#15 Earthworm_Jim

Earthworm_Jim

GROOVY_!

• 7,278 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 22:28

I never thought much of the Bioshock games. 

blasphemy. :rofl: