C++ Web cam accessing

Question

I am building an instant messenger (for lol's) and i would like to integrate web cams. Without libraries could someone please link me to some AMAZING documentation?

I am also looking for microphone support! (i suspect that will have to be written seperately though).

i havent found the time do do any researching concerning this subject LATELY, but i would like the documention already layed out for me for when i am ready. I am on a tight schedule :/

• Ive used SFML before for camera recognition

4 answers to this question

I am writing for both applications. I am just looking for a way that is supported by both linux and windows.

So windows has directshow

and LINUX has bock devices.

Whats a way that both systems support?

Well, you could either look for a platform agnostic middleware library, or write your own. I don't imagine it would be too hard to write one. Create a common interface, and have it call out to OS-specific functions that do the low level grunt work.

I'm not sure I understand the question. You don't want libraries but you want documentation? Documentation for what?

I think he wants something that he can statically link or compile directly into his app.

As to the original question, it depends on a few things like which OS(s) you intend to build it on, and whether or not it's a usb webcam. On Windows, I believe you can access it through directshow, and on Linux there are block devices which allow you to read from the video stream.

I think he wants something that he can statically link or compile directly into his app.

As to the original question, it depends on a few things like which OS(s) you intend to build it on, and whether or not it's a usb webcam. On Windows, I believe you can access it through directshow, and on Linux there are block devices which allow you to read from the video stream.

I am writing for both applications. I am just looking for a way that is supported by both linux and windows.

So windows has directshow

and LINUX has bock devices.

Whats a way that both systems support?