SSD or More Faster RAM at Christmas (only time i have money)

Hi All

Need to start saving now for any PC upgrades, only can get at Christmas, only time I get access to my disability money.  Anyways have an HP P6-2133W desktop with 1033 8gb of ram, thinking of trying to get 8gb ddr3 1600mhz ram, or possibly SSD, only issue Is there no open 3.5 inch bay, and hard drive in current bay.  Need hard drive to store stuff, not sure if can even fit an ssd

this is an AMD APU system

Need to start saving now for any PC upgrades, only can get at Christmas, only time I get access to my disability money.  Anyways have an HP P6-2133W desktop with 1033 8gb of ram, thinking of trying to get 8gb ddr3 1600mhz ram, or possibly SSD, only issue Is there no open 3.5 inch bay, and hard drive in current bay.  Need hard drive to store stuff, not sure if can even fit an ssd

In my opinion, you will benefit way much more from an SSD than faster RAM. 8GB of RAM is enough for most use cases. An SSD will give you a very noticeable speed boost when dealing with startup/shutdown and opening apps/large files.

Ok Will look into the Adapter to Fit 2 SSD and 1 3.5 inch drive into the bay when I get the money soon I hope, wouldn't even mind before Christmas.  I use the System for some light Video editing/burning dvds at times, Gaming, occasionaly Windows Media center dvd watching, Internet surfing, Email,  (Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit),  all kinds of things basically

Last I looked inside the case I seen the additional serial ata connectors on the motherboard, but didn't see any spare power connectors unless there tied up in another section of the case, i'll look closer next time I open the case

I know APU performance can be highly dependent on the RAM speed, but I'm not sure by how much.

Overall as a general rule, a SSD will give you the largest performance boost of any component in a PC.

The Crucial MX100 512GB runs about $200, so you can get a lot for your money at the moment.

In my opinion, you will benefit way much more from an SSD than faster RAM. 8GB of RAM is enough for most use cases. An SSD will give you a very noticeable speed boost when dealing with startup/shutdown and opening apps/large files.

APUs benefit from faster ram though (unlike systems with a dedicated gpu and vram). How much not sure bout could be a good idea to look at reviews before.

yeah think best bang for buck soon as I have the money saved drive adapter, and ssd...best value for long term, best performance boost i'm sure as well.   Still using Avast antivirus, not sure if that slows anything down, but so far so good.    not too much installed, mostly clean system till, last clean install was just before feature pack came out in August

Yes Definitely going for SSD in the future soon as the money saved...then will use current drive for storage....Will have to learn how to properly setup SSD once I get it, right now I usually let PC sleep at night, as back on usually very early next morning.    Right now when I get SSD for this system will be first SSD based system i'll have.   Will Avast cause too much writing to the SSD in the future?  or will it be fine

Depends on how much ram you have no, if you have 4 or less, then RAM for your usage. 

Currently have 8gb ddr3 1033 ram currently. 

Thank you all for the replies, SSD it will be, just gotta wait til money saved now if I can stand it lol, then get it all installed and setup, and be enjoying my faster system. 

• Like 2

Preaching to the choir here, but SSD. Doubt you'll notice a massive difference in speed by upgrading your current ram. You're running in dual channel XMP mode right? As far as bays go, you don't really need one. Just tape it down :D

SSD by a mile.  More than a mile.  Over 9000 miles!

But yeah, I've been building my own computers for almost 20 years now ,19 to be exact.  Never had I done an upgrade or added a part that made such a difference.  Really.  If you're looking for more speed, look no further than an SSD.

I've added them to Core 2 Duo systems,  even as slow as 1.8GHz,  and the owners tell me it's like owning a brand new computer.  That's just for things like email, facebook and overall speed improvements.

I promise you'll notice the difference. :)

Thank you all so much, I know I will notice a difference soon as get all the needed parts, tape it down isn't a bad idea either.   Appreciate all the replies very much, now to get the money saved, sadly wish I had it right now the money, but sadly don't

Hello,

Since everyone has mentioned SSD (which I agree with), I'll just make a related suggestion:

For best results, plan on doing a clean install of your operating system, drivers and apps to the new SSD. Have everything you need (installation media for your operating sytsem, unpacked device drivers, key applications, etc. ready to install from CDs, DVDs, USB, whatever) so that when then the SSD arrives, you can set it up with a fresh install of your operating system.

After it has been working for a week or two, you can then remove the old \WINDOWS directory (and any others you don't need) from the HDD and just use it for data storage.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2