Around the smartphone world in 5 days.

In the last 5 days I have owned 4 smartphones.  While I did not give the android ones enough time to really know them - here is a very brief summary:

I destroyed my iPhone 5 by throwing it at someone who almost ran over my dog. (it was only thing I had I could throw -- figured throwing dog was counterproductive)
So I decided to get a Samsung Galaxy S5.  It was bloated with crap and the apps I did use were laggy, but OLED screen was beautiful.  So, I was told to get an LG G3 - I did, and was not near as impressed with that screen.  But it was more responsive. (less bloat)  Realizing I was not happy with the overall usefulness of android OS, I decided to go back to apple, and got an iPhone 6.  Now I am happy.

I dont believe in "you didnt give it enough time" because I saw the benefits of iPhone OS immediately, there was nothing to warm up to.  And there is never lag when switching apps quickly.
The Galaxy S5 was frustratingly laggy. When listening to Spotify in my car (the main thing I do with a phone) if I was swiping through songs to find something, the album art was lagging behind what was playing, sometimes as much as 3 songs back...not good.

The LG GUI just seemed watered down, but I think that was from coming from the bold colors of the OLED, everything looked watered-down.

So - there it is.  Not a review, not really any help, just a cursory observation from 24-28 hours of usage... ;)

I know several people with an S5 that have had no issues.

Oh Im sure, many people love their S5 - there is a lot to love.  However, when I mentioned to the people @ BB that it seemed sluggish and had so much Samsung bloat on it, they said they hear that alot and which is why they referred me to the G3 as it was considerably less bloated.  While many people may say they love their S5 or whatever phone they have, it might be because they think that lack of responsiveness is typical, or it doesnt bother them to wait .5 seconds for ops to carry out - so many possible reasons.  All I can comment on is what I experienced firsthand.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. I do like the hardware of most Android phones - like the S5, Note 4, but I have no idea how (tech) people would put up with Touchwiz. Using my friend's S5 on a trip last week made me crazy. This is a problem with most Android manufacturers, except for Motorola who seem to almost leave it close to "stock" Android. Or you could just get a Nexus phone, but those are subpar in camera, battery, etc. - opposite problem of great software but meh hardware. The only manufacturer customizations I can tolerate are HTC - they keep it minimal and add features I actually want to use. 

I'm on the iPhone 5S now, which I got recently this year. I do want a bigger screen iPhone, but I think I'm going to wait for the 6S/6S+ release

If the brightness or color of the G3 was an issue, it could have been fixed. The LG G3 has the most advanced screen calibration software I have ever seen on a smartphone. It comes close to what they provide on TV's actually. They go as far as letting the end user tweak the individual R G B settings.

The phone ships with the screen itself on about 40% brightness and also on auto dim to adjust to the environment. And the RGB is set to a very cool setting (cool as in temperature of the colors, not cool as in cool).

Granted perhaps they should have made it more impressive by default, but part of the reason they did not was to extend the battery life (I can get upwards of 2 days). If you play with the display settings and get them to your liking, it will still easily last a day.

If the brightness or color of the G3 was an issue, it could have been fixed. The LG G3 has the most advanced screen calibration software I have ever seen on a smartphone. It comes close to what they provide on TV's actually. They go as far as letting the end user tweak the individual R G B settings.

The phone ships with the screen itself on about 40% brightness and also on auto dim to adjust to the environment. And the RGB is set to a very cool setting (cool as in temperature of the colors, not cool as in cool).

Granted perhaps they should have made it more impressive by default, but part of the reason they did not was to extend the battery life (I can get upwards of 2 days). If you play with the display settings and get them to your liking, it will still easily last a day.

Yeah I played around with it, and it was nice... but the SuperAMOLED of the G5 is so vibrant you dont care about 4K rez in 5" screen. (at least I didnt)

I have been living with the iPhone 6 for a week now.  I feel like I never upgraded, which kinda sucks.  There is something to be said for comfort level, and the benefit of tried and true - but I want new "killer app" type features.

I keep thinking, to myself, that if Jobs were still alive and healthy, we would have some pretty cool phones by now.  These tiny, incremental upgrades on versions are the product of lack of innovation... of course thats just me thinking - I dont know anything about apple really.

As far as Im concerned, the only real difference of the 6 is it runs iOS 8 much better than my 5 did. Other than that, I feel like I still have my old iPhone 5....

Has there ever been a real upgrades in any phones? It always seems incremental, small steps, regardless of what phone you have. The only way to fully appreciate an upgrade it to come from an older phone. Even then, depending on the phone, you are mostly going to get better versions or better hardware of the same.

Like you said, the biggest improvement is going to be speed.