Router

My internet has been upgrade to 100mbps. I have an amped wireless router model r2000g. I'm only seeing speeds of up to 25mbps from speed test. I tested this with surface pro 3 and my Lumia 920. Also there is two iPhones that has the same speed. Not to mention the iPhone some times has trouble connecting to the router. Do I need a better router ?

you need to try the wired side first at the router.  compare speeds behind the router and take the router out and speed test with you connected directly to the modem.  You could be having wireless issues, but lets take that out of the equation first.  That router should be able to handle 100Mb/s

You could be having interference with the wireless.  First do the wired test, then we can work on wireless.

I'd also make sure it's broadcasting an N signal, don't think A.B.or G will cut it, but your devices need to support N, the iPhones, Lunia and Surface can do N 

Even with N on my 50Mbps internet, I get around 25-30Mbps on wifi, but for some reason I can max out 70 Mbps on my wired connection. Try Wifi AC if you have it the SP3 supports it.

If any devices are connected to the wireless on anything other than n, say you have a n and a g connected, everything well be at the g speed. You will never see n speed while the g is connected.

You can easily test by taking out the iPhone's that can't connect at n speed. G will give you only about 25mb/s btw.

If your only seeing 20-25ish, yeah sure seems like G connection to me.  As sc302 has clearly stated - lets do a wired test before we even look to what is wrong with your wireless.  I upgraded my internet a while back, and never kicked in - had to call them to get the new speed.

Now it rocks at touch over 58 with wire, and wireless AC can max that out as well - on my ipad on 5g I see over 50 without too much trouble.

post-14624-0-79589000-1413720065.png

As you can see multiple results over 50, I took one just a few minutes ago at 51..  Even with 5ghz N using 40mhz good luck seeing full 100mbps unless you have min 2 spatial streams, better with 3..  Your router is only 2x2, your talking a max theory data rate of 300, for sure do a /2 to get more real world so while in theory you could do it if your device is 2x2, many mobiles are only 1 -- for example the ipad I tested with.  The new stuff supports AC but that router does not.. 

edit:  shoot that pictures was huge, resized it ;)

I just woke up but will plug directly in modem to test behind the router with my desktop, However I did forget to mention that my desktop is plugged into the router. I forgot my speed off hand but I'm pretty sure I was seeing speeds over 75.

I will test again.

Desktop wired to router is seeing speeds of 118.09mbps down and 11.76mbps up.

The router is set for 2.4ghz(b+g+n) and 5ghz(a+n)

The surface speeds sitting next to router 

5.0ghz is 89 down and 12up

2.0ghz is 39 down and 12up

Lumina next to router

5.0ghz is 30down and 5up

2.0ghz is 35down and 6up

Surface speed sitting down one level from router(The rooms are all open)

5.0ghz is 50down and 12up

2.0ghz is 44down and 12up

Lumina speed sitting down one level from router

5.0ghz 66down and 12 up

2.0ghz 34down and 12up

turn off all wireless devices other than devices capable of N.  Test. 

It looks like that surface is pretty close when next to the router.  Which lumia do you have?

the lumia and the surface are capable of n but it is only capable of 1 stream, like budman stated.  You will not see the full bw with the lumia as it is a limitation of the device. 

What surface do you have?  I will look up the specs on that as well.

why do you have b enabled?  Do you have B devices?  Do you even have devices that only do G?  You would want to go pure N if possible, this should get you 400ns GI vs the 800ns.  Also try going to 40mhz channels on atleast 5ghz.  Is your area wifi noisy? How many other wifi networks do you see - what channels are they on?  You want to make sure you don't overlap other wifi networks in the area channels.

Too close to the router is not great for speeds either.

• 2 weeks later...

i have tp links. but i face some problem with tp links. suddenly down speed. any body can tell what is problem?

please create your own thread, don't hijack this one.

i have tp links. but i face some problem with tp links. suddenly down speed. any body can tell what is problem?

I can totally relate....I had food last night and it was horrible. Do you know what I could do to make it taste better?

Is that enough detail for you to help me solve my issue? How about you give us more detail so that maybe we can help you solve yours. Devices connected, make and model, speed you are paying for, what are you expecting, and let's not forget about the model of the tplink as last I checked they made more than one model.

Help us help you and I won't revert to food problems

To your food problem sc302, because you actually gave more info then the other guy and I think I can help you!!  You should add spices to your food, salt for example ;)  Or if need be drown it in hot sauce!  I would highly suggest http://www.cholula.com/ or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha_sauce_%28Huy_Fong_Foods%29

I would suggest a good sea salt vs the processed stuff with iodine in it for best results - use your own grinder and find the size you like best..  Something like http://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Sea-Salt-Society-Coarse/dp/B000SWTKV0

To go along with the salt, you can try pepper - many different varieties there to choose from as well.  Please try some of these options and let us know how your food is tasting.  Also you could try going to better restaurants ;)  But you did not let us know where you got this food, etc.  More detail is always required to better help you! ;)

• Like 1

All valid points sc302 ;)  Which is why it helps us help you if such details are given in the OP so we don't have to pull teeth to get such info heheheh

Sorry to say with such details there is not much we can do though other then suggest you dine at better locations, or have someone else prepare it, etc.

I would suggest you get the current http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin_Guide for your city and make choices from their to where you dine..  If you are looking for good food in Chicagoland I would be more than happy to suggest some great dining establishments

heheeheh  Dude we for sure do some lunch and Beers if your ever in Chicagoland - I will be also be in Indy in a couple of weeks.  For a week, so good food and bars there too.  And sweet cigar bar as well!

You ever between ny and Philly, hit me up. There are a few cigar bars around. There are two cigar international joints by me and there is a jrs about an hr from nyc. Not to forget the places in nyc and hoboken.