The DualShock 4 Has Become A Pretty Great PC Controller

The DualShock 4 Has Become A Pretty Great PC Controller

iw4vdsmdppnguodkok3e.jpg
If you're using a controller to play a PC game?I know, I know, shhh, it's okay?chances are the on-screen prompts you see will match up with an Xbox controller. But you don't have to use Microsoft's controller with your PC; you've actually got a lot of options, including the PS4's DualShock 4.

I really like the DualShock 4, but while I've known for some time that it's an option for PC, I'd been putting off setting it up. I'd heard that it wasn't that consistent, that it was kind of a headache, that it was better to just stick with an Xbox controller. So, I'd opted instead to start using an Xbox One controller, since Microsoft released drivers earlier this year.

It worked fine, but I couldn't ignore the fact that I just?don't really love the Xbox One controller. (Personal preference!) Some things?the triggers, mostly?have grown on me over the past year, but I still haven't gotten comfortable with the thumbsticks. Too wiggly for my taste. So, a couple of weeks ago, I decided to finally see how the PS4 controller would do on my PC. 

First of all, setup: The most important thing you'll want to download is the DS4 Tool software. DS4 Tool is a cool, donation-supported bit of custom programming that acts as a wrapper, letting the PS4 controller interface with your PC's standard XInput controller driver. Basically, it makes games think that your DualShock 4 is an Xbox controller. Its creators regularly release updates, and at this point, the software has gotten very reliable. I've yet to encounter a game that doesn't work with it.

There are already a number of good setup guides around the internet, but here's one from DS4 Tool creator JB Hebbel:

I've been playing PC games with a DualShock 4 ever since setting it up, and I've been happy with the experience. I've had some minor issues, mostly when using the controller wirelessly via Bluetooth?for example, sometimes I won't be able to get the controller's LED light to do what I think I'm telling it to do with the software, or I'll occasionally be unable to wake the controller and will have to re-pair it with my Bluetooth receiver. (This one, for the record.) But generally, it works well, and I sense those issues are mostly related to the weirdnesses of Bluetooth?when I wire the controller directly into my PC via micro-USB, it works perfectly.

It must be said that both the Xbox One and 360 controllers still offer a smoother experience than the DualShock 4 - both of those are essentially seamless at this point, so the DS4 Tool, while not all that finicky, is still the more finicky option. It also did take a little doing to get my brain to read on-screen Xbox prompts and translate them to the PS4 controller. (I think my brain could use its own wrapper software.) You might miss a few QTEs at first?I died a couple of times in Shadow of Mordor thanks to that?but I got used to it pretty quickly.

The DualShock 4 has one advantage that I didn't anticipate: The controller's built-in trackpad. (I know! The trackpad!) I play a lot of games with my PC plugged into the TV in my living room, especially around this time of year. While I can navigate some things using Steam's big picture mode, I still need to do a fair amount of mouse-clicking in between games: Checking for new graphics drivers, switching my sound output options, tweaking something in Nvidia control panel, etc. Fortunately, most of those things are single-mouse-click operations, and it's nice that I can take care of them without putting down my controller.

The DS4 trackpad is such a natural fit for PC that it's too bad Sony hasn't made good on their past intimations of PC support and released official Windows drivers. I'd still welcome an official driver, though at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the DS4 tool winds up remaining the better option.

If you like the feel of the PS4 controller and like having control of your mouse from the couch, it's certainly worth giving DS4 Tool a shot. 

I thought I'd make a poll to see which controller you all use for PC gaming (when you do use a controller.) If you use more than one, go with whichever one you use more.

[Poll at source]

Given that the DS4 Tool has been around for a while now, I'm guessing that a good number of you out there already use it. If so, how has your experience been?

Source: Kotaku

• Like 1

There are 2 forks of DS4Tool that are currently being updated and maintained. The one mentioned in the article is by jhebbel and the other is by Jays2Kings.

Relevant links:

Website with info and downloads

DS4Windows by jhebbel: http://dsdcs.com/portfolio/software-development/4-ds4windows

DS4Windows - J2K by Jays2Kings: http://www.ds4windows.com/

PCSX2 forum threads

jhebbel's - http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4Windows-Another-fork-another-thread

J2K - http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4Windows-J2K

Original DS4Tool by InhextSTER - http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

DS4Tool Fork By electrobrains - http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4Windows-yet-another-DualShock-4-driver

I personally use J2K's version since it has a simple interface, portable (besides installing the driver) and has no ads.

DS4 is already better than the xbox360 pad feature wise. Touchpad is really convenient for mouse control, good amount of customization with profiles and macros, and IMO best dpad for fighting games and and other retro games/emulators. The touchpad and macros is what's really great though. I have my DS4 configured with media keys to control my music/videos.

I use my DS4 using this pci-e adapter for bluetooth (Intel 7260 Wifi-AC/Bluetooth 4.0) http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Bluetooth-Expansion-Components-GC-WB867D-I/dp/B00HF8K0O6/. No troubles with connection, great range and no input lag at all. So far so good everything just works.

Battery life is probably the only issue (8-10 hours), but you can extend it a bit by turning off the LED lightbar completely, replacing battery with higher capacity ones or just use it wired...

good to know. my logitech pc controller (that looks a bit like xbox)   is in a  beat up shape.      i will consider this one when it dies.    i remember lots of issues with ps3 controller on pc years ago. good to hear it will not be an issue.

My only gripe with the Xbox 360 controller was the wonky D-pad. Even the updated one on the chrome series controllers was lacking. The Xbox One controller fixed that for me. I'd used a PS3 controller in the past on my PC, but I always ran into issues when using the Bluetooth drivers to get the wireless working (it seemed to break Bluetooth for my other devices). Though, I've been wanting to try the DualShock 4. I may pick one up on Black Friday when they're bound to go on sale.

My only gripe with the Xbox 360 controller was the wonky D-pad. Even the updated one on the chrome series controllers was lacking. The Xbox One controller fixed that for me. I'd used a PS3 controller in the past on my PC, but I always ran into issues when using the Bluetooth drivers to get the wireless working (it seemed to break Bluetooth for my other devices). Though, I've been wanting to try the DualShock 4. I may pick one up on Black Friday when they're bound to go on sale.

i used to love the ps3 controller and i did not like xbox 360 -  it just did not feel right in my hands and something was off.

xbox one controller fixed all of those issues, except it is too small.   my hands get tried when i play for more then 30 min (i have large hands)

ps4 controller makes holding much easier.    however,  they are now equally awesome.    if my hands were smaller, i would love xbox one controller - it is real solid!

It rather blew me away that the Dualshock 4 controller could be so much better than the Xbox One / 360, as someone who loved the 360 controller better than the Dualshock 3.

The only reason I used the Dualshock 3 for the longest was because my wireless Xbox 360 controller didn't pass data through the charging cable. I wasn't about to spend $20 for a wireless receiver for my PC, especially when the PS3 could play/charge via the cord or utilize Bluetooth. Pretty cool stuff with MotionInJoy.

Still need to buy a Dualshock 4 controller for my PC, but I don't play games as often as I'd like. :/

Tried one, hated the sticks, went back to my Xbox controller

yeah, why don't they move the sticks apart like other gamepads, even many non 360 gamepads have better positioned sticks.