Xbox 360 slim failed update - help

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my Xbox, warranty is gone and I couldn't find a service that can fix this issue... but here goes:

After playing one night, it asked for an update to which I said yes. It downloaded the new OS version and restarted.

During the installation process this happened:

xbox360s.JPG

I left it opened for a while (~30min) but it never recovered. The interface froze and I eventually shut it down.

It's been 3-4 months now and all attempts to fix it have failed.

Has anyone run into this problem?

The last person that tried to fix it said the firmware is missing and it can't be fixed and before that, when it was still in warranty, I sent it back to the shop I got if from and they returned it (conveniently) the day the warranty expired (still broken) with a diagnosis of "optical adjustment"... whatever that is.

Should I throw in the towel and get a new one? :p

Thank you!

Press and hold the power button on your console... not controller.

And wait for a few minutes... and then turn it on via controller.

So the update will go through again if successful..

If not, contact Xbox support about it and they will walk you through.

Did that the day after it broke... no luck.

I doesn't seem to be a simple fix la that.

I forgot to mention that it doesn't show any error codes or anything like that.

I tried connecting it on all its supported ports, nothing is displayed on the TV.

No picture, no sound and a red dot instead of the green light.

I can also mention that the power brick is ok, all green :)

Looks like 2 or more issues at once. The checkered board is the most common sign of overheating / hardware failure, which would have killed the download / flash.

Do you get any red lights on the power button? Is the checkered board instantly on screen when you power up?

If the shop returned it to you unfixed, then it should be their responsibility to fix it. You told them about the issue while it was in warranty, so they should really honour it.

Where are you based?

Did that the day after it broke... no luck.

I doesn't seem to be a simple fix la that.

I forgot to mention that it doesn't show any error codes or anything like that.

I tried connecting it on all its supported ports, nothing is displayed on the TV.

No picture, no sound and a red dot instead of the green light.

I can also mention that the power brick is ok, all green :)

Yeah you have a video card failure. Even if you could fix the OS, your console is goosed.

Solid red light (Xbox 360 S or Xbox 360 E console)

There is a solid red light on my console and the screen is blank.

Try the following steps:

1. Let the power supply cool for about 30 minutes.
  2. Plug the power supply into a different wall outlet.
  3. Disconnect and reconnect all accessories.
  4. Check the power supply.
  5. Remove the hard drive.
  6. If the above steps don?t solve the issue, order a replacement power supply from the Xbox Online Service Center.

There is a flashing red light on my console and I get the error: The Xbox 360 is shutting down to protect the console from insufficient ventilation.

Try the following steps:

1. Let the console cool down.
  2. Relocate the console.
  3. If the above steps don?t solve the issue, request a repair.

There is a solid red light on my console and I get this error: System Error

Try the following steps:

1. Disconnect and reconnect all accessories.
  2. Remove the hard drive. If the system error message doesn?t appear when the hard drive is removed, you can order a replacement Xbox 360 Hard Drive from the Xbox Online Service Center. Console registration is required to replace a hard drive under warranty (the hard drive warranty is the same as your console warranty).
  3. If the above steps don?t solve the issue, request a console repair

http://support.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-360/settings-and-initial-setup/console

@Brian .. I know what you mean but it's too late now, warranty is gone and so is the shop I've purchased it from (they closed down)

@Andrew .. i have nothing displayed on the screen... there doesn't seem to be any output at all.

Overheat is werid... It was a brand new console, plenty of space around it, and it was powered up for less than 1 hour before that happened.

Hmm..

I guess contact support about it ...

Tell support about the problem you have and let them know .. so they could give you the steps or give you a replacement if you are lucky.

@Brian .. I know what you mean but it's too late now, warranty is gone and so is the shop I've purchased it from (they closed down)

@Andrew .. i have nothing displayed on the screen... there doesn't seem to be any output at all.

Overheat is werid... It was a brand new console, plenty of space around it, and it was powered up for less than 1 hour before that happened.

Overheating if it was the old design, but you have a hardware failure. Ignore that part of my post now as it's not relevant to you, now that I know you have a Slim :p

As Brian said, if they failed to repair it under warranty, it is still their responsibility to fix it or replace it now. Just read your reply to Brian. You could always explain the situation to MS but it could be 50/50 whether they help or not. You made contact with the correct guys while under warranty. If they ask for OoW RMA then it's probably cheaper to buy a 4 GB version and move the HDD over.

@Andrew - yup, tried all of those instructions.

It might be like you said, a video card failure, I mean something should be displayed.

It doesn't work that way because it can't be shown on the display if video card is damaged.

@Andrew - yup, tried all of those instructions.

It might be like you said, a video card failure, I mean something should be displayed.

I'll try to get in touch with customer support although shipping it / fixing it like that would probably cost more than a new one.

I'm in central Europe, not much support here :P

I'll try to get in touch with customer support although shipping it / fixing it like that would probably cost more than a new one.

I'm in central Europe, not much support here :p

There's lots of support in Europe, but it's all from the retailer, if they've gone bust there isn't much you can really do.

If it's just out of warranty then MS may offer you an exception and give you a free repair (especially if you explain that the shop returned it after the warranty still faulty and then went bust).

I had the same issue happen with a PS3 Slim. Only 8 hours total use over 2 years, the screen went all fuzzy with coloured triangles, then nothing at all, ever again. I reballed the main chips myself, didn't cure it, so I think the VRAM had failed. That could be the cause of your issue. Electronics could die at any time. In our cases where they're practically new, they were inherently faulty (from the factory) the faults can pop up anytime if dodgy components are used, they tend to fail gradually, with high stress stuff like RAM, pretty quickly if you imagine how many transactions are taking place every few minutes.

There's lots of support in Europe, but it's all from the retailer, if they've gone bust there isn't much you can really do.

If it's just out of warranty then MS may offer you an exception and give you a free repair (especially if you explain that the shop returned it after the warranty still faulty and then went bust).

I'll try to do that :)

Thank you all for your quick replies! I appreciate it.