Small Quiet PC

Except the ones in the late 2014 Mac Mini are ultra low power U-series CPU-s, same as found in NUCs.

I'd even go as far saying that NUC is a better option, since there is now Broadwell NUCs available.

It says 2.8GHz+ on the non-base model so I don't really think that (except the cheapest) those are U models (that are usually 1GHz+ slower than that). They also sell a low-power (more like "crippled") iMac as well.

Edit: Oh, NVM it seems they're really U models, though with a not-much-U-sounding 28W TDP. Doesn't sound like stuff you'd find on NUCs though.

Except, you are wrong, once again, the CPU-s are:

i5-4260U

i5-4278U

i5-4308U

i7-4578U

EDIT: Some of these have slightly higher TDP than 15W, but that is to be blamed on Iris Graphics, not CPU, none of the above are 35W mobile CPU-s

As for the OP: Seasonic fanless PSU + i7 (one ending with T, meaning low TDP) + some sort of biggish heatshink, that would fit in ITX case and run without fans the i7 + SSD would give you a plenty of silence. Not sure about he GPU part, that is your biggest problem. All the above is going to cost quite a bit, though.

Have you looked at the Silverstone Milo?..I think it's model is ML-07 or something like that. It's small, looks classy and offers what you need to make it quiet...although how quiet it is depends on the fans and how hard they need to run.

I have some expensive 120mm fans with wavy shaped blades that are really quiet but as always the GPU card is always the loudest component regardless when it comes to mid/ high end gaming.

Is Iris 5100 about the same as HD 5000 when it comes to gaming? I'd expect they'd play Battlefield 3 quite well; Metro: Last Light may be a different story.

I'd still go for a mid-high end Mac Mini (would prefer a machine that can run both OS X and Windows). What don't you like about it's design; no USB ports on the front?