Windows 7: Officially Dead This Week

Windows XP got security updates for 12 and a half years, Windows 7 will get security updates for 10 and a half years... that's still a long time.

With over 5 years of support left I cant see enterprises rushing to leave Windows 7. The average computer user will likely run Windows 7 until their computer fails and a new one is purchased with a newer version of Windows on.

With that in mind I cant really see Windows 7 going anywhere for a long time yet personally.

not so fast; some new features that are Windows 8.x / Windows Server 2012 R2 exclusives are pretty good (ie Workfolders) and while some do work with Windows 7 (again, Workfolders), there are several limitations and / or feature lacking, making the migration to Windows 8.x more and more tempting. Also more new features are going to be new OS exclusives, so get ready for this rapid release cycle, meaning we are the ones testing the OS, not the manufacture. :/

I prefer stability and security over new features, anyway...

All this is is a user who is uneducated that is writing an article proving to the rest of the educated world that end users think they know enough to become an expert. He clearly shows in the article that he knows nothing about networking, yet continues to bash something that he has very limited knowledge about.

Spot on and thank you for putting what I was thinking.  Deriding something is one way of acting like you have knowledge/experience and are not just wide-eyed at everything.  Problem is, once you actually have knowledge/experience you realise that everything is worthy of consideration.

Windows 7 will be around for a while.  With a lot of companies, and others, skipping over the mess that is Windows 8...they opted to go from WinXP to Windows 7.  Many are not likely to do another roll out next year of 10.  Plus, some companies may opt for a different rout all together.

Windows 7 will be around for a while.  With a lot of companies, and others, skipping over the mess that is Windows 8...they opted to go from WinXP to Windows 7.  Many are not likely to do another roll out next year of 10.  Plus, some companies may opt for a different rout all together.

You mean like Linux.... And then come running back shortly after?

You mean like Linux.... And then come running back shortly after?

People are looking for alternatives now more than ever.  I doubt MS will be dethroned anytime soon, if at all.  But more alternatives are coming up that people are taking advantage of.  Yes, there are cases where it doesnt work out but then again there are many cases where people and companies are happy with their change.

Very insightful reply, I can clearly see that my comment was in error. /s

:rolleyes:

Aw c'mon Dot, don't be like that.

Tell me some more about the paradigm shift.... :woot:

lolwut? Windows 7 is a "worse program"?? this alone just discredits the whole article, because it's so biased that it's disgusting.

also this is not the end of Windows 7; OEM can still sell Window 7 Professional until 2015/02, at least.

Yea, I'd have to agree. Win7 will be around for a while yet...

That author is delusional. I have a Win8.1 lappy, but I still respect Win7 as the OS that fixed the Vista lagfest(I owned a 7 and Vista laptop too). That man should know that his precious 8.1 wouldnt be so good if it were not for 7. And the other article about pulling the plug on the iPhone? Wat...This guy should be sent to an institution.  :|