Help me decide Apple computer for mom

That maybe true, but for this use case, it's more than enough.  And power efficiency would be a good thing.  It's for his mother and she watches videos.  Don't need much power for that.

I know OP has already decided, but why would anyone choose efficiency over performance in a non-mobile device?  The difference in electricity use isn't big enough to be noticed.

I know OP has already decided, but why would anyone choose efficiency over performance in a non-mobile device? The difference in electricity use isn't big enough to be noticed.

Agreed with you... Some people like me will not care what our desktop computer consume. Performance is much more important than energy efficiency. We want power, others are more towards energy efficiency.

Agreed with you... Some people like me will not care what our desktop computer consume. Performance is much more important than energy efficiency. We want power, others are more towards energy efficiency.

On everyday tasks, with an SSD, you'll never be able to notice the difference between the two models. It all comes down if you need to: photo/video editing, converting movies, gaming, server, virtual desktops, etc...

I'm a tech enthousiast and don't need any of these things. I only browse web, youtube, watch movies over the network on my NAS, chat with friends, facebook,  listen to music. Those rare times I convert movies I just let the 4250U work overnight.

Ppl here always seem to forget about the user's need. We are all geeks and we want the best of all but our mothers and grandmothers don't need any of those crossfire features or even more than 4gb of ram!!! So nowadays, I pay my own electicity bill and I enjoy a 5-600$ fast and powerful nible system that doesn't require a gas generator to run.

That way I can put some more fuel in my Audi S4 ;)

On everyday tasks, with an SSD, you'll never be able to notice the difference between the two models. It all comes down if you need to: photo/video editing, converting movies, gaming, server, virtual desktops, etc...

I'm a tech enthousiast and don't need any of these things. I only browse web, youtube, watch movies over the network on my NAS, chat with friends, facebook,  listen to music. Those rare times I convert movies I just let the 4250U work overnight.

Ppl here always seem to forget about the user's need. We are all geeks and we want the best of all but our mothers and grandmothers don't need any of those crossfire features or even more than 4gb of ram!!! So nowadays, I pay my own electicity bill and I enjoy a 5-600$ fast and powerful nible system that doesn't require a gas generator to run.

That way I can put some more gaz in my Audi S4 ;)

The thing is, the more powerful model costs less.  

The thing is, the more powerful model costs less.  

Does your PC have a 4in x 4 in footprint? Does it consume 6 watts on idle and 27 watts full load? I'm aware that's a premium to pay for USFF but at the end, your lower electricity bill makes up for a good part of the PC cost.

Does your PC have a 4in x 4 in footprint? Does it consume 6 watts on idle and 27 watts full load? I'm aware that's a premium to pay for USFF but at the end, your lower electricity bill makes up for a good part of the PC cost.

Im sure it saves like 6 bucks a year.  In 20 years, it will totally be worth it.

And yes, my PC does have that footprint, as I have a 2012 Mini.  

Did you skip the thread and just read my last comment, hoping that you would make sense?

PS  -- No Mac mini has that kind of power efficiency at full load.  You made that up.

Edit:  I was wrong, it saves 3.50 usd a year max to go with a 2014 Mac Mini over  a 2011 or 2012.

http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/howmanywatts.html