Overwatch is Blizzard's new team-based multiplayer shooter

Overwatch is Blizzard's new team-based multiplayer shooter

overwatch.0.0_cinema_1920.0.jpg

Blizzard Entertainment announced a new title at BlizzCon today, Overwatch, a team-based multiplayer shooter and the developer's first new property in years, that focuses on an international team of soldiers ? humans, humanoids and what appear to be mechs. And cyber-gorillas.

In a pre-rendered video, Blizzard showed Overwatch's characters and action, including stealth-snipers, gorillas wearing armor and masked mercenaries engaging in firefights. Overwatch appears to be heavily focused on action and gunplay, with characters teleporting mid-gunfight and others using grappling guns to move quickly through a clean futuristic environment.

Blizzard's Chris Metzen says Overwatch ? which is a game, he confirmed ? is coming "sooner than you think."

Game director Jeff Kaplan said at BlizzCon that Overwatch is a team-based multiplayer shooter, "a game and genre" that Blizzard has been interested in exploring for a while. In Overwatch, which appears to feature Blizzard's signature, chunky, slightly cartoonish style, players will have access to a variety of classes and characters. Some characters wear missile-firing mech suits, while others wield bow and arrow, dual pistols, sniper rifles, hammers or staves.

Characters shown in a gameplay video of Overwatch include Hanzo, a bow-wielding ranger; Winston, the gorilla; Torbjorn, a dwarf engineer; Widowmaker, the sniper; and Bastion, the robot/turret.

Movement in Overwatch looks fast, with quick grappling mechanics, teleporting and flying, as well as ground traversal. The game appears to use a blend of magic and technology, with robots that transform into turrets fighting alongside spell-casting supporting heroes.

A beta for the game is coming in 2015 and the game is available to play at BlizzCon this weekend.

Source: Polygon

Link: Overwatch on blizzard.com

hrmm feels like blizzard is leaving its wheelhouse, would be like Bioware creating an NBA game, still could be good fun im just going to approach it with scepticism.  On another note thanks for reminding me its blizzcon, I hope we get a trailer for SC2 Void at long last. 

The next StarCraft: Ghost and Titan?

Or even the next Global Agenda: Free Agent/Team Fortress?  (Looking at the plot and pre-renders, that is what Overwatch reminds me of - basically a cross between Global Agenda and Team Fortress.)

Global Agenda is F2P - and I'm actually surprised that a team-based similar game has NOT been done.

It's basically a remake of Team Fortress 2. The graphics aren't anything special, the gameplay isn't anything special and the animations look a bit off.

PS - Why does the British character have to have such a pathetic cockney accent? It's insulting.

PS - Why does the British character have to have such a pathetic cockney accent? It's insulting.

oi mate, you shud get on the dog and bone and give 'em an ear-full ya shud!  :rofl:

Australian accents are usually pretty awful in games, too.

• Like 2

You guys got it good, as both in Britain and Australia English is spoken by the majority. With the Russian accents the majority of the time in games/movies, it's not even done by Russians and sounds just plain terrible and wrong.

Doesn't sound like a Russian speaking English at all.

edit: Just for example; when the last time you actually heard these Russian accents in movies/games?

/

And this is what the Russian accents sounds generally in games/movies:

. Big difference.
  • Like 1

You guys got it good, as both in Britain and Australia English is spoken by the majority. With the Russian accents the majority of the time in games/movies, it's not even done by Russians and sounds just plain terrible and wrong.

edit: Just for example; when the last time you actually heard these Russian accents in movies/games?

/

. Big difference.

Plus, Russians are usually cast as the bad guys. I suppose it could be worse   :laugh:

/

. Big difference.

Haha. My wife is russian and most of the times someone tries to talk russian in games she just laughs out loud, it's just that bad.

Even at this game...

• Like 1

Got a chance to play it quite a bit at Blizzcon. It was pretty damn fun. Felt very smooth and polished on the engine front. It was hard to get a sense of balance as everyone had unlimited ammo. That said. the HUD did have a clip count indicator so it was probably just for the floor demo. Also, normal movement did feel a little too slow. All and all I'm really freaking excited for the beta. :)

Got a chance to play it quite a bit at Blizzcon. It was pretty damn fun. Felt very smooth and polished on the engine front. It was hard to get a sense of balance as everyone had unlimited ammo. That said. the HUD did have a clip count indicator so it was probably just for the floor demo. Also, normal movement did feel a little too slow. All and all I'm really freaking excited for the beta. :)

And a future-skewing TF2 clone is bad *how*?

Remember, TF2 was developed as free-to-play from the jump (as was the original Team Fortress), and by (of all companies) *Valve* - which was just getting their feet wet as a developer when they dropped the original TF on our collective noggins (as a free pack-in with the original Half-Life).  Team Fortress (the original) has not died, and that is despite TF2 - why would Overwatch necessarily be a threat to either?

If anything, Overwatch is what Global Agenda SHOULD have been.  (No - Global Agenda isn't dead; however, it's practically a zombie these days.)

Global Agenda had (has) all the various roles that a proper Team Fortress clone SHOULD have - the one thing it sadly lacked (and still lacks, in fact) is a true cooperative multiplayer raid/alert system.

In short, I didn't (and don't) expect that Overwatch will take anything away from either TF2 or even the original Team Fortress - if anything, I expect it to be the future-skewed Team Fortress/TF2 that has been sorely missing from the play rotation of the planet's computers.

And a future-skewing TF2 clone is bad *how*?

Remember, TF2 was developed as free-to-play from the jump (as was the original Team Fortress), and by (of all companies) *Valve* - which was just getting their feet wet as a developer when they dropped the original TF on our collective noggins (as a free pack-in with the original Half-Life).  Team Fortress (the original) has not died, and that is despite TF2 - why would Overwatch necessarily be a threat to either?

If anything, Overwatch is what Global Agenda SHOULD have been.  (No - Global Agenda isn't dead; however, it's practically a zombie these days.)

Global Agenda had (has) all the various roles that a proper Team Fortress clone SHOULD have - the one thing it sadly lacked (and still lacks, in fact) is a true cooperative multiplayer raid/alert system.

In short, I didn't (and don't) expect that Overwatch will take anything away from either TF2 or even the original Team Fortress - if anything, I expect it to be the future-skewed Team Fortress/TF2 that has been sorely missing from the play rotation of the planet's computers.

Umm... I take it you didn't actually mean to quote me because what you're saying doesn't make any sense in that context :)

I'm glad Blizzard have broken the trend and stepped outside their 3 IP boundary. Even if it doesn't become a hit, they will have at least got over the hurdle and can make something new without hesitation afterwards.

WoW, D3 and SC2 are the safety nets. HoTS/HS are comfortable releases too. With them, they can be more daring.

Looking forward to playing Overwatch :yes: