The lost smartphone

The first thought, this is not happening to me. Wait a second, maybe I left it in storage of my scooter or it is kept to charge at home.
I quickly scooted and was on my way back home which was barely 500 meters. About 3-4 minutes earlier, I was on my way for a quick snack at 3 in the afternoon. Just 12 hours earlier I landed home after a long flight from Belgium on an official trip. My eyes were red and I was still tired and lazy to continue my day.

On reaching home I dialled my mobile from landline, but it was switched-off. It then dawned on me that I had lost my mobile, my nexus 4. My immediate reaction was anger and then I was sad when it dawned on me that I had lost my new-born son's photographs and videos. This was certainly something that certainly could not be substituted.
I realized some official files I was editing on my flight back home, photographs and videos from my Europe trip (brussels, paris, amsterdam and barcelona). The more I wanted to skip thinking on my loss, the more I was drawn into recollecting it.

Barely 18 hours to go & I realized I had my airline PNR in my SMS. I was on my way the next day to meet my son and wife. The tickets were booked 3 months in advance & I was unable to locate a copy in my email (maybe I was not searching for it with undue stress).
The early morning airport bus schedule was stored in my phone gallery and so was my flight trip back home.

After coming somewhat to terms with what happened, I called my service provider to terminate my SIM and got a new card issued. Luckily, I had IMEI number in my email from one of my exchanges with google. This helped me in registering a complaint with the authorities.

Sleep was difficult & I kept thinking how and why would I keep it in my shorts which was not at all accomodating the phone due to lack of space. The phone slipped out of my pocket & would have landed with a thud on the concrete but I heard absolutely nothing.

The frequent visits to devicemanager page to track my phone was not at all helping. Sleep was eluding me and I kept getting frustrated. Maybe I should have got cerberus installed, it could have survived a factory reset. All the possibilities kept dawning, but it was of no use.

Finally before I could finally get some sleep, I recollected there was no alarm clock & realized how dependant I had become on my phone.

It has been close to a month now, but no response from authorities. Couple more weeks before I start losing my confidence on tracing it. For now and foreseeable future I am stuck with Nokia 105, still wondering how to transfer my contacts from google to the new device.

I've lost my phone before, and the realisation the next day was horrible.

However that was several years ago, before cloud backups were really used. Recently I've been going through a few different phones, and I've been really impressed by the fact that I can pick up a new phone, enter my Google details and within a short while I have all of my contacts, my backed up photos, calendar entries, various settings and frequently used apps all on the new device.

If it's been close to a month I would consider it gone.

Regarding your contacts, you should be able to go to Google contacts and export all the information as a vCard or a CSV format. Having just looked at the specs for the 105, it seems that there isn't a PC connector to copy the file across, so instead I would suggest putting the new SIM in to a device that can connect to a computer, copying the contacts to the SIM and then inserting the SIM in to the 105. Of course, that's only possible if you are using the backup services that are offered to you.

He was too young to be using your camera anyway ;)

No cloud backup I guess??

I was travelling & I did not find time to backup data. Maybe once & if I get a new smartphone, I shall do it religiously.

No findings from Android Device Manager? :(

Absolutely nothing. I guess once you format the phone ADM is of no use. I heard cerberus installed as root does survive factory reset and can still send data. I believe that is the only corrective action.