Which Distro (not that stupid question)

I am currently running Crunchbang (Debian Wheezy based). With XFCE4. It's all good, but there's something lacking...

As I understand it, Steam only has a port to Jessie. As, it won't work in Wheezy. I've heard and seen all these fixes and hacks, just, the hell with it.

I've tried loading straight Jessie on my spare SSD, but apparently it does not like my XFX Radeon 7850. After install, and go into Jessie, I get a blank screen. These are with default drivers AFAIK. I looked into this, and saw no solution.

I then thought of Arch. I know it was a pain to set up. So I found Archbang. It's based off Arch, but with the same flavor of Crunchbang, uses OpenBox. They have an installer (can't remember name atm) that runs you through the whole setup. I got it up and good, but was shot down, because I was like, what the HECK am I supposed to do now...

I then heard of Sparky, which is based off of Jessie (testing). (from the list on here) I loaded that up on my spare SSD. It worked great, only... When I load Steam on, it doesn't open, unless it was open in the background? Shows no notification icon on top bar.

I have heard of SteamOS, but I'd have to use the XFCE bit, not the Steam Window thingy.

I do have Ubuntu on my Intel NUC (i3 CPU), and can load steam easily and all that. But a few days ago, I was playing DOTA2, and it was damn choppy. I turned all video options down to low, and it was still bad. Maybe Intel 3000 wasn't made for this.

Should I just work my ass off at Arch, or go with SteamOS/Jessie? And figure out somehow "How the H*** am I going to do this?"

Please do not turn this into a fight like my last 2 year thread.

I just despise Ubuntu because of the sheet they put on there that Id never use. But I never know if it is a part of something else.

I just despise Ubuntu because of the sheet they put on there that Id never use. But I never know if it is a part of something else.

Just do a minimal install, install a window manager, drivers & any essential packages. I build my laptop that way due to issues with default drivers on OOBE installations.

Try an Ubuntu variant. I personally use Ubuntu Gnome. Xubuntu is another acclaimed variant with Ubuntu Mate and Mint being other popular ones

You could try Antergos!! It? an Arch based distro (basically arch with a good GUI installer and a gtk theme, there's no bloatware here) and you can choose among several desktop environments

or

http://sourceforge.net/projects/evolutionlinux/ which is an arch live cd that essentially makes installing arch easier (it installs the desktop environments, etc... pretty much like antergos, but more vanilla)

How about using Ubuntu? It's the official supported distro for Steam..

That's the main reason I put Ubuntu on my formerly XP64 PC as I wanted to try the native Linux Steam client and figured I'd have the best luck with the officially support distro. It has been a bit finicky as it doesn't always like my nVidia card... I have better luck with the binary drive than the opensource one, but that has also varied with subsequent OS releases (I started with 13.04 I think). Of course it's far from a typical PC... more like a Frankenstein, so that may be half my problem. As others have suggested I have thought about switching to a variant of Ubuntu as I'm more familiar with kde as I use openSuse at work...

There are variants, not sure if those can cause more problems with Steam. Just try the Ubuntu + Steam, test, benchmark and move on to another Window Manager or to another distro if you are unhappy with it. It's much better this way since you will know what is causing problems.

I got it up and good, but was shot down, because I was like, what the HECK am I supposed to do now...

Install steam?

yaourt -S steam ttf-liberation
And if you're running 64bit version, you'll want 64 + 32bit graphics driver, and 32bit sound libs:

yaourt -S catalyst-total lib32-alsa-plugins
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam#Installation

The only reason Arch was such a getdown, because the Arch forums were a pita to me. "Read the wiki, read the wiki, blah blah blah" They never assessed my problem like you guys...

Maybe I should try Evolution, get Arch back on my side... I have a 10-page Arch installation guide, but what I've learned, you don't have to do half this crap...

Do a network/minimal install of ubuntu, then install the desktop of your choice on it

I got Steam working on Wheezy but it was a pain in the ass

Linux Mint it just install and works and also steam works on it too

If you don't want to spend the time getting an Arch distro up and running from scratch, give something like Bridge Linux a try. According to its description, it works with the vanilla repos and AUR. So the standard Arch wiki would apply.

you might also try the latest Snapshot-Linux v. 0.5 released just today, it's based on kubuntu 14.04