Linux Network Interface Priority

I am working on a new server that has 2 1gbe ports and 2 10gbe ports. I have bonded the 2 10gbe ports and would like all traffic to go through those ports. I would like to use the 2 1gbe ports for SSH / VNC. How would I give the 10gbe ports priority so the OS uses the bonded interface by default, and then i can use the 1gbe interfaces. Obviously the bond and the 1gbe have different IPs. Im more worried about the OS using the proper interface by default when pushing data.

OS I'm stuck using is Redhat. So I've googled "redhat network interface priority" and all I see is routing and metrics, but I don't think thats what I need to do. In Windows you change the priority of the interface so it prefers one interface over the other. In OS X you change the service order. This is my first time doing it in linux, so I have no idea what I'm looking for.

I hope someone understands what I'm trying to do and can help!

Thanks,

Sikh

I would assign static addresses in a different IP range/subnet from the interfaces you'll actually use for working, that way DHCP clients elsewhere on the network won't see those management interfaces by default, and those management interfaces won't see resources on the network.  Kind of a "security through obscurity" work-around that also accomplishes your goal of keeping normal traffic off the interfaces designated for SSH/VNC.

I would assign static addresses in a different IP range/subnet from the interfaces you'll actually use for working, that way DHCP clients elsewhere on the network won't see those management interfaces by default, and those management interfaces won't see resources on the network. Kind of a "security through obscurity" work-around that also accomplishes your goal of keeping normal traffic off the interfaces designated for SSH/VNC.

I definitely plan on putting it in a management vlan but atm I'm testing it as is to see if it can push as much data as we need it too. So I just wanted to see if it was possible.

For starters where do you think you can change priority of interface in windows for SSH or VNC?

If you want a specific interface used for a specific destination then you would use routes. Sounds like you have these interfaces in the same network. The metric should be better on the faster interface would mean that interfaces is always used for new traffic where the route would point point to something on that network, or default was on that network. So unless you have messed with the metrics?

If you want to use specific interface for connection to the server, then use the IP that is on that interface. The return traffic should use the same interface it came in on.. If you want to use that interface for traffic leaving that interface with a new session created by the server then create a route pointing to your destination using that interface.

So it wasn't clear - is this traffic to this server.. Say your workstation creating a ssh session to the server.. Or is the server going to create the connection?

To be honest multiple interfaces in the same segment is rarely a good idea.. As mentioned this interface should prob be different segment than your other interface 10gig, but then again which interface is used would be determined by route and or metric if either interface could be used to get to dest. You normally do not set default route on more than one interface either.