Going back to Windows 7 (New Dell XPS 8700 with w8.1 preinstalled)

It is more complicated than that actually. You'll need to modify the BIOS to enable you to install Windows 7. Without modifying the BIOS you won't be able to get Windows 7 installer to boot...

Basically, you need to disable Secure Boot (all Windows 8+ PCs have this enabled by default). You also need to enable "Legacy" support for the BIOS/EFI implementation to be Windows 7 capable.

you can install Windows 7 in UEFI mode

I think you still need to turn off secure boot, you can leave UEFI on. 

I have found the settings in bios. So good to go there.

Drivers are up to date.

But now audio is working fine.... I did nothing....

Thanks for the video, I am taking the plunge .

We are from opposite ends of the spectrum. I thought XP was the worst thing to happen to computers since Apple. It seemed like it was designed by and for children. Vista was a relief to me.

At the same time, you did say that you resist change. I respect that, as opposed to the computer ninjas on sites like this that say Win 8.x sucks because they can't figure out how to open Word without the Start Menu. They're just stupid, as opposed to you who wants to use what they know.

To be honest, I thought Win 7 was (at the time) the most solid OS Microsoft or anyone else had come up with. After having used Win 8 since beta, when I have to use a Windows 7 computer, it seems archaic and half baked. And when Windows 10 is released, I'll find a way to turn off the idiot Start Menu. There is no way I would go back. No way.

Just sayin'.

Reading through this thread

... Why does OP need Windows 7 Professional when he has admitted that he is not the most tech savvy person? :huh:

I would recommend taking warwagon's advice and installing classic shell. You are basically throwing out 3 years of under the hood improvements for some trivial changes by going with Windows 7.

Or just return the system and get one with Windows 7 preinstalled.

ShawnBerto: Just make a backup of Win8 and then install Win7 OEM.  Your hardware has both SLIC 1 and 2 for both of those OS.  Just type a couple commands to activate the Win7 OEM activation.

Windows 7 EFI support is broken. Microsoft fixed Windows EFI support in Windows 8.

Either way, I can't install Windows 7 on my Lenovo T530 unless I disable Secure Boot and place the BIOS in "Legacy" mode.

I agree as well. Start fresh with a new hard drive if you must. Windows 10 is also just around the corner. I think it makes a good compromise between 7 and 8 that the fans of each can embrace. There are powershell commands you can run to scrub your Win 8.1 of all modern apps (except 1 or 2 mandatory ones) and for all future accounts on the system if you like.

• 2 months later...

I tried installing Windows 7 clean. I then had LAN network card problems... and even Wifi problems. Can't connect to internet.

Why are you digging up a conversation from over 2 months ago?

We are from opposite ends of the spectrum. I thought XP was the worst thing to happen to computers since Apple. It seemed like it was designed by and for children. Vista was a relief to me.

At the same time, you did say that you resist change. I respect that, as opposed to the computer ninjas on sites like this that say Win 8.x sucks because they can't figure out how to open Word without the Start Menu. They're just stupid, as opposed to you who wants to use what they know.

To be honest, I thought Win 7 was (at the time) the most solid OS Microsoft or anyone else had come up with. After having used Win 8 since beta, when I have to use a Windows 7 computer, it seems archaic and half baked. And when Windows 10 is released, I'll find a way to turn off the idiot Start Menu. There is no way I would go back. No way.

Just sayin'.

And someone that can't open Word (or any Office application) without a menuing system sounds like a newbie (to Office, that is).  Despite the changes to Office itself, the names of the Core Five Office applications haven't changed a whit since they were introduced - with all except Outlook, that dates back to Windows 3.x/Office 4.2.  (I myself migrated with Office 95/Windows 95; before that, I used that rather odd tag-team of WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3, and didn't have e-mail except for MSN Mail with Windows 95.)  Office auto-adds to WINPATH - which means that any Office application can be Runboxed.  (Not even close to a new feature; this has always been true of Office.)  That is one thing that Start menu reliance has taken away - "institutional memory" of old features that never left.

With all the brouhaha over the Start menu going away (or changing), did anyone even think to try even older methods that don't rely on a menuing system?

Windows 7 EFI support is broken. Microsoft fixed Windows EFI support in Windows 8.

Either way, I can't install Windows 7 on my Lenovo T530 unless I disable Secure Boot and place the BIOS in "Legacy" mode.

How is UEFI support broken in WIndows 7?