Which Linux distribution do you prefer? (2015)

Which Linux distribution do you prefer?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Which Linux distribution do you prefer?

I'm just starting to look into Linux in a more serious way, so I'm trying different versions. They all seem fine to me, but my vote went in the Ubuntu column since I am leaning toward Lubuntu or Kubuntu. If my Raspberry Pi 2 ever comes in (MCM Electronics REALLY is getting on my nerves- 10 days late and counting) I'll see what I am comfy with there.

I use whatever has a GUI. I hate command line with passion.

Just my own opinion of course but the command line is its greatest strength, not a fan of the desktops in general but love the consoles to death, toss on AwesomeWM and go nuts.  As far as OSX knockoffs go you could probably fake it (ish) with a couple of them, rearrange panels, apply a theme, slap on some icons, install a dock, etc etc.

To add to Max, command line is the backbone of Linux. Learn it well and you can do wonders :)

I use whatever has a GUI. I hate command line with passion. Speaking of GUI's is there a flavor of Linux that looks really close to OS X?

Elementary OS is the closest thing to OSX. Also the upcoming beta release of Ozon OS - this is basically elementary OS based on Fedora.

Just my own opinion of course but the command line is its greatest strength, not a fan of the desktops in general but love the consoles to death, toss on AwesomeWM and go nuts.  As far as OSX knockoffs go you could probably fake it (ish) with a couple of them, rearrange panels, apply a theme, slap on some icons, install a dock, etc etc.

I agree there is power in the command line but if I don't know those commands that doesn't help me much which is why I love the GUI. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm no Linux expert so my criteria was light weight (i don't want loads of stuff I'm never going to use) and easy on the beginner.

Lubuntu seems to fit that nicely.

Debian all the way. First Linux distro I've ever used that didn't screw itself up with their own updates! :)

I'm definitely happy to see that criteria ... Updates really play an important role into an OS .

I think most of us tend to use Linux / GNU .

I use Lubuntu, it gave my 8 years old PC a new life.

I really like Elementary OS aesthetics though, I'd like to change themes, icons, etc to my Lubuntu but I'm afraid it would impact performance.

• 3 weeks later...

Not really a regular Linux user these days but whenever I do it's Ubuntu. I love their server distribution too. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I prefer openSUSE because of the tech - Zypper is the best package management around, YAST is awesome, Build Service, Kiwi, Snapper, Suse Studio (build your own distro online and test it etc) and much more. Also, one of the requirements I have is to be able to keep a local copy of ALL the repos I use for my distrto(s). openSUSE allows this to happen much easier than most dstros - just click "trust" to trust the key, no stuffing around. Also, openSUSE has all levels of release - point release, LTS (Evergreen) and rolling (Tumbleweed).

It's a bit unfair, I use Linux for both work and play, I only get to vote for one.

I use CentOS (first option) and openSUSE for work and elementaryOS (first option) and chromixium for play.