What would you do, enterprise or pro?

Disregarding the source and price, if you had a choice between Windows 8.1 Enterprise and Pro, which one would you choose for your home computer? Why?

Let's say Enterprise costs less than Pro...(don't know why so don't ask)

Pro. You can't get enterprise unless you go through a reseller and it has to be tied to your volume license center. Enterprise is upgrade only from pro.

I looked into getting this for work because this is the only way to get gpos to manage the start screen. We went into all different scenarios to see what would work for what I need. Needed to bring everything to 8 pro then upgrade to enterprise. Couldn't buy enterprise if I wanted to just go to enterprise from 7 or a home version.

For home, go with pro or home. You don't need enterprise unless you are trying to play with enterprise only active directory gpos. It is the same as pro otherwise.

You really don't need pro at home either. I haven't found a real good reason to go with pro at home.

Pro. You can't get enterprise unless you go through a reseller and it has to be tied to your volume license center. Enterprise is upgrade only from pro.

I looked into getting this for work because this is the only way to get gpos to manage the start screen. We went into all different scenarios to see what would with for what I need. Needed to bring everything to 8 pro then upgrade to enterprise. Couldn't buy enterprise if I wanted to just go to enterprise from 7 or a home version.

For home go with pro or home. You don't need enterprise unless you are trying to play with enterprise only active directory gpos. It it's the sane as pro otherwise.

You really don't need pro at home either. I haven't found a real good reason to go with pro at home.

Bitlocker and Media Center come to mind. I like using bitlocker on my flash drives. Also use Hyper-V and Remote Desktop to home PC.

• Like 2

free alternatives out there for that. 

plex, diskcrypter, not many home users going to use hyper-v, but for those that do you are better off building a standalone computer to install the hypervisor on it, vnc or teamviewer are great alternatives to remote desktop. 

Like I said, haven't found a real good reason for winodws pro at home.

free alternatives out there for that. 

plex, diskcrypter, not many home users going to use hyper-v, but for those that do you are better off building a standalone computer to install the hypervisor on it, vnc or teamviewer are great alternatives to remote desktop. 

Like I said, haven't found a real good reason for winodws pro at home.

To avoid acquiring and installing all those, arguably inferior or less convenient, third party alternatives. No one's solution beats Media Center IMO. I'd rather not bother with third party encryption especially for home users. Lots and lots of home users use Hyper-V, many here on Neowin are running Windows 10 this way, no need to build a separate server. Anyone considering Enterprise or Pro is advanced enough of a home user to know that most Intel desktop CPUs support virtualization and there's more than adequate performance. There's really no reason to build a standalone server for light to moderate virtualization, if you have Windows 8.1 Pro ;).

Enterprise is the same as Pro, except I don't think you can add the Media Center feature to Enterprise. One of the downsides to enterprise is that one of it's biggest features, RemoteFX is only relevant if it's being used as a VM client. The other features really are only meaningful, in the enterprise (Windows to Go, Branchcache, App Locker, VDI, etc). You should also know, you are only licensed to use Enterprise (assuming you will be acquiring and using it legitimately) while you have your EA Agreement. Once that agreement ends, you must uninstall Enterprise. On the other hand, Pro licenses are perpetual.

FWIW, every computer in my house is a Pro computer and I use 0 features of pro.  I use plex to stream to all of my devices in my house, took seconds to setup, everything from my computers (kitchen, and 2 bedrooms), to my samsung smart bluray, to my roku.  Plex is also far superior to wmc, I don't need to find codecs for it to play a movie, it plays regardless of the encoding.    Don't need to troubleshoot endlessly to figure out why it works one minute and the next it doesn't, so it is quite convenient.  I run a dedicated vm host for my vms, I don't need to tie up a computer that people use in the house to run test vms....If a computer needs to be rebooted there is nothing relying on that computer to be up and running so any standalone computer can go down without effecting the rest of the network. 

FWIW, every computer in my house is a Pro computer and I use 0 features of pro.  I use plex to stream to all of my devices in my house, took seconds to setup, everything from my computers (kitchen, and 2 bedrooms), to my samsung smart bluray, to my roku.  Plex is also far superior to wmc, I don't need to find codecs for it to play a movie, it plays regardless of the encoding.    Don't need to troubleshoot endlessly to figure out why it works one minute and the next it doesn't, so it is quite convenient.  I run a dedicated vm host for my vms, I don't need to tie up a computer that people use in the house to run test vms....If a computer needs to be rebooted there is nothing relying on that computer to be up and running so any standalone computer can go down without effecting the rest of the network. 

That all sounds pretty cool. The great thing about the Windows platform and Windows OS, it that it's quite capable, but the open platform allows enthusiasts to do all kinds of neat stuff.

The Intel hardware platform is the same. I don't need to be overclocking, but it may be a new hobby.

this seems like a question that only a software pirate would ask....

with that said, Pro has a few added features over the Core version, and there's no legitimate reason to be installing Enterprise on a home computer.

• Like 3

alright, thanks guys. it's clear now.

with that said, Pro has a few added features over the Core version, and there's no legitimate reason to be installing Enterprise on a home computer.

totally irrelevant and not constructive..... don't know why people love to assume things....

I have a desktop with Enterprise installed at home - I use it for work, ie DirectAccess.

totally irrelevant and not constructive..... don't know why people love to assume things....

Because if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck; it sure won't be a lemur!

But my answer would be "Enterprise" for "Windows To Go".

People love having this holier than thou attitude on this forum but forget this forum was practically founded on piracy at the beginning. Hell I originally joined because of all the free links to stuff. That being said the OP could be just messing around with a MSDN license for testing purpose. That being said go pro. I never found Windows to go to be that critical where I would give up Windows Media Center as a trade off.

People love having this holier than thou attitude on this forum but forget this forum was practically founded on piracy at the beginning. Hell I originally joined because of all the free links to stuff. That being said the OP could be just messing around with a MSDN license for testing purpose. That being said go pro. I never found Windows to go to be that critical where I would give up Windows Media Center as a trade off.

Media Center is great, before it's time. I just picked up an ATI TV Wonder cablecard tuner on ebay for $13 for the HTPC. If MS drops MC from Windows 10, this is one PC that will never be upgraded.

WP and WinRT dev in Hyper-V. That's one good real reason.

Also, the new Android emulator in VS2015. It is unbelievably better than the official one.

I looked into getting this for work because this is the only way to get gpos to manage the start screen. We went into all different scenarios to see what would work for what I need. Needed to bring everything to 8 pro then upgrade to enterprise. Couldn't buy enterprise if I wanted to just go to enterprise from 7 or a home version.

For home, go with pro or home. You don't need enterprise unless you are trying to play with enterprise only active directory gpos. It is the same as pro otherwise.

I can think of a lot of small reasons to go with pro at home. A lot of the plugins for computer management are not accessible from the home version.there are also a lot of GPO and user settings that are not supported on the Home version.

Just because you are not putting it on a domain does not mean that the features are of no use.