Software AP, can only get 1 device to connect at a time?

I just tried to setup a software access point for my girlfriend so that she could get her amazon fire tv stick to connect to the public wifi hotspot in her area. (xfinitywifi)

The setup:

Her computer is connected to the xfinitywifi hotspot via internal wifi adapter.

I have a ASUS USB-N53 Wireless-N USB Adapter attached to act as the access point. It is setup to use the wifi adapter as shared internet.

Here is the odd thing, it works fine for 1 device, but I cant connect more than 1 device at the same time ever. They attempt to connect but never successfully connect, i see their mac address show up briefly but their status is B and the rate = 1. The successfully connected device shows Status G, Rate = 54.

I followed this video:

Anyone have any ideas why i can only have 1 device connected to this software access point?

I have it set up as AES security WPA2

You cna bypass their limits with mac address cloning tho so this won't be needed

I would still like the access point because the xfinity wifi is only strong where her computer is. In her room the signal is greatly diminished.

Is there something im doing wrong? Why will it only allow 1 device to connect to the access point?

I am doing software access point though. Her computer is the one sharing the network access, not the comcast access point. So to them there is only ever 1 device connected. Theoretically with software AP, they are completely unaware of any other devices, all traffic flows through the computer.

any kinda NAT settings on the software? not gonna watch a vid on a limited tether connection (on the road right now)

So she has no internet of her own in the location, other than some xfinity hotspot - what is she borrowing your account or something?

Confused how this would be a correct course of action?

I have a ASUS USB-N53 Wireless-N USB Adapter

go to device manager, find this adapter,go to properties, then to the driver tab. what does it say under "driver provider"? is it using the asus drivers or the Microsoft ones?

Well from looking at the asus site for that card - I notice this might be a problem ;)

Software AP mode allows the WLAN card to act as a virtual access point. The computer needs to be connected to a wired network using an Ethernet connection in order to provide network access to WLAN client.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCEN15/

Sounds like your trying to use wireless as your connection (xfinity) and then over the same wireless provide internet access? I don't believe that is the way the software is meant to work.

edit: Oh you have 2 wifi cards? Hmmm - this sure seems like a stupid amount of effort to circumvent paying for internet access. while hey letting her use your xfinity account for access on her laptop.. That is up to you, doesn't her phone have hotspot mode? Sounds like she has multiple devices that want internet - why doesn't she just get internet and an AP like the rest of the planet? With laptops, and firesticks, etc.. Sounds like you should be able to afford basic internet connectivity to me ;)

• Like 2

Well from looking at the asus site for that card - I notice this might be a problem ;)

Software AP mode allows the WLAN card to act as a virtual access point. The computer needs to be connected to a wired network using an Ethernet connection in order to provide network access to WLAN client.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCEN15/

Sounds like your trying to use wireless as your connection (xfinity) and then over the same wireless provide internet access? I don't believe that is the way the software is meant to work.

edit: Oh you have 2 wifi cards? Hmmm - this sure seems like a stupid amount of effort to circumvent paying for internet access. while hey letting her use your xfinity account for access on her laptop.. That is up to you, doesn't her phone have hotspot mode? Sounds like she has multiple devices that want internet - why doesn't she just get internet and an AP like the rest of the planet? With laptops, and firesticks, etc.. Sounds like you should be able to afford basic internet connectivity to me ;)

Exactly..

Thanks for the help guys, rather than troubleshooting the actual problem which others could easily experience, you are more worried about why I've decided to share my xfinity benefits.

For those who come here for legit technical help, the problem was with the Asus software, the way they implemented software AP does not work correctly with windows 8. I used connectify software to setup the AP and it works fantastic.