Tried Nokia's HERE Maps on Android, had to remove it

After seeing this article yesterday, I decided to give it a go.

So I get in the car, load the app and search for Cineworld Wolverhampton.

No results.

I uninstalled it and I'll continue to use Google Maps.

In Google Maps, I could have searched for Cineworld (and it would have listed a few, with the Wolverhampton one being at the top as it's physically nearest) or Cineworld Wolverhampton and it would have pinpointed it instantly.

This is not an all-out attack on HERE Maps. I simply tried it, did something that I consider a very basic first step for a mapping application (location/place searching) and it failed miserably.

I find that you need to give it a moment to search. It isn't as fast as Google Maps, but that is OK especially since you're getting offline capable GPS for free.

I find that you need to give it a moment to search. It isn't as fast as Google Maps, but that is OK especially since you're getting offline capable GPS for free.

No mate, it found no results for Cineworld Wolverhampton. It literally showed something along the line of "No results."

That's weird.  I did a search for a local theater (Cinemark) and the results came up as I was typing.  That being said I would definitely stay with Google Maps on Android.

Edit:  Also I did it using the Windows Phone version...

No mate, it found no results for Cineworld Wolverhampton. It literally showed something along the line of "No results."

Maybe it was a fluke? My copy of Here Maps pulled it up instantly and I'm not in the UK.

post-16763-0-93872800-1420726907.png

Maybe it was a fluke? My copy of Here Maps pulled it up instantly and I'm not in the UK.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-01-08-09-19-26.png

Maybe it was but the "No results." screen was not what it should have shown, it should have shown something along the lines of "No connection to Internet."

I'll reinstall it and try again.

EDIT: It found it when I tried a second time.

<snip>

3,441 mi. :D

• Like 3

Maybe it was but the "No results." screen was not what it should have shown, it should have shown something along the lines of "No connection to Internet."

I'll reinstall it and try again.

EDIT: It found it when I tried a second time.

I don't work for Nokia so I can't defend their development decision that way.

It is possible the data was added in a recent update. I have no idea.

I just think Nokia is a decent option for offline maps without cost from a reputable source. Google maps is OK, but I'm not a fan of using it for Navigation (I haven't compared Here in this regard). I much prefer my cars built in Nav. Lane guidance is very useful.

I just think Nokia is a decent option for offline maps without cost from a reputable source. Google maps is OK, but I'm not a fan of using it for Navigation (I haven't compared Here in this regard). I much prefer my cars built in Nav. Lane guidance is very useful.

There are so many features of TomTom stand-alone (apparently the Android app doesn't come close, although apparently it doesn't even to the iOS app) units I wish were in Google Maps, and vice-versa.

I gained a new appreciation for its navigation when I found myself ass deep in Oakland at 2 AM. I normally never use GPS in cars, but it was very friendly and accurate in finding directions when I had no idea where I actually was or exactly where I was going.

Google Maps has lane guidance.

I'd be the first to jump up and defend nokia, but here maps on my supplied truck nokia windows phone left me longing for ovi maps

(as in supplied by the company trialling windows phones)

• 5 weeks later...

Google Maps has lane guidance.

I'm a Windows Phone user and I agree with you on that, sometimes with HERE Drive it gives very vague instructions particularly where a motorway/highway splits into 3 or more lanes and joins other motorways/highways. Google Maps on my Android always told me exactly where I needed to be with clear detail on the lane divisions. Apart from that little niggle, HERE Maps is a really good GPS app.

If you drive out in the sticks then offline mapping is a must. Nothing worse than getting into the countryside only to discover Google Maps not showing anything because there is no 3G signal. 

While not perfect I do like HERE and used it yesterday through the backwaters where normal phone apps would not work for lack of signal.

The HERE map sucks in my area, trying to send me down an undrivable alleyway. It has never been a road, so how comes HERE thinks it is? I like the multiple route options being so easy to access, but they do seem to make an odd choice of route. The maps need a bit of work for HERE to be use able every day for me.