The best email service?

What is your favorite email service?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite email service?

• Outlook.com/Hotmail
    • Gmail
    • AOL
    • iCloud Mail
    • Other ( write the name with a post on the thread)

I have read that Gmail account will be never recycled and the Outlook account after 1 year are recycled and reassigned if an user request the same username.

Do you think that is better Gmail?

I like Outlook, and I see that it support push notification

Why you don't like username with name and surname?

I use my email for private email with friend and for jobs curriculum and most people tell me that is better not using a fantasy username, but only name and surname that is more professional

I just don't like having my name out there.  I was a manager for several years (hated it) and most people didn't have their name in their email during the interview processes.   As long as their email address isnt something like PimpMaster@Gmail.com....then I dont see a problem with it.  Also, I have a very popular name...first and last...so all those names are taken.

And I keep my email private as well but friends/family do not know how to use BCC.  So they send out mass emails with my info exposed.   I only have a Yahoo account I used to register on sites that required an account to post/do things.  Like Neowin, XDA, Facebook...I dont care if my Yahoo account gets spam and i get about 300+ spam a day in my Yahoo.

Have you checked to make sure that all three are available for you to use?

Honestly it doesn't matter what we suggest. All would be valid email addresses that could be used for personal emails while at the same time used for contacting companies with a CV.

yes, there is availability for:

name.surname@     (ONLY ON OUTLOOK)

name.s.surname@     (ONLY ON GMAIL)

name_surname@   (ONLY ON OUTLOOK)

I have read that Gmail account will be never recycled and the Outlook account after 1 year are recycled and reassigned if an user request the same username.

Do you think that is better Gmail?

I like Outlook, and I see that it support push notification

yes, there is availability for:

name.surname@     (ONLY ON OUTLOOK) 

name.s.surname@     (ONLY ON GMAIL) 

name_surname@   (ONLY ON OUTLOOK)

I don't know about policies regarding the lifespan of an inactive account, but that only matters to you if you want to go with a service that is already using the address that you want.

You're asking us different questions each time without making a decision on the last question, which is making giving advice quite difficult.

Here is how I would pick an email address:

• Pick a service that I think I would like
  • See if that service offers the email address that I would like
  • If the email is taken, either switch to a different service or pick a different email address.

I use gmail because its the best and I use outlook also. Outlook is not bad, but after years of poor service and having a downright bad reputation I find it hard to trust again.

Also, remember that when choosing a username, Gmail doesn't recognise dots in the username.

Sometimes you may receive a message sent to an address that looks like yours but has a different number or arrangement of periods. While we know it might be unnerving if you think someone else's mail is being routed to your account, don't worry: both of these addresses are yours.

Gmail doesn't recognize dots as characters within usernames, you can add or remove the dots from a Gmail address without changing the actual destination address; they'll all go to your inbox, and only yours. In short:

homerjsimpson@gmail.com = hom.er.j.sim.ps.on@gmail.com
    homerjsimpson@gmail.com = HOMERJSIMPSON@gmail.com
    homerjsimpson@gmail.com = Homer.J.Simpson@gmail.com

All these addresses belong to the same person. You can see this if you try to sign in with your username, but adding or removing a dot from it. You'll still go to your account.

If you get mail that seems to be intended for someone else, it's likely that the sender entered the wrong address, just like if you've ever dialed a wrong phone number for someone. In these cases, we suggest contacting the original sender or website when possible to alert them to the mistake.

One last thing: Google Apps does recognize dots. If you'd like to have a dot in your username, please ask your domain administrator to add your preferred username as a nickname.

Source - Google

I used to like Gmail, but nowadays I prefer Outlook.com. It's simple, clean and gets the job done. And all services that I need often are neatly  in one place (Calendar, OneDrive, Office online, OneNote...). 

used to be on gmail and yahoo, but recently switched to outlook and have never looked back.  works like a charm, is clean, has really great functions, and ties into my ecosystem very well (onedrive, windows and whatnot). 

I use Office365 and my own domain, Used to run my own mailserver but O365 is so much less hassle.

I know it's paid but there are some advantages to that, such as no Ads and support available if something goes wrong.

Gmail for personal emails, Hotmail for a spam account.

Actually, I use Yahoo for my spam-collection account, as that is the email service I use least..

I use GMail for Google services, my ISP e-mail for personal mail, and Outlook.com for all business/training-related mail.

Hotmail and Outlook.com are basically two brands for the same service - I have used the same server (m.hotmail.com) since before the transition - and because Outlook has supported EAS since Outlook 2013, the transition has been painless (Outlook has been my primary mail program since Outlook 97 - seventeen years straight; in other words, since before I went back to college for more IT training).  If you use EAS (for either Outlook.com OR Hotmail) you can thus drop the Hotmail Connector for Outlook add-in - which was the last add-in I had a need for in Outlook.  Oddly enough, I've never needed any add-ins to use GMail for Outlook - what I DID need is those rather atypical port settings for POP3 (before Outlook gained auto-configuration for POP, and IMAP, with Outlook 2010) and why GMail and my ISP dropping POP3 mattered not a whit to me personally.  (That is also why Outlook has remained my e-mail workhorse those seventeen years - unless the mail service itself is an oddball (such as Yahoo Mail US), it won't matter what the future holds - the chances are very high that Outlook can handle any changes, and probably easier than I can.)

Do you think that name_surname is good?

Sure. The question is, do you like it? It's your email address, if you have a problem with it then don't bother. As others have said, no one else cares what the email address is, so long as it isn't something like Strip_Yo_Clothes1990@<service>.com. ;)

Best free options:

For free options i think you should be looking at Outlook.com or Gmail.

Outlook.com supports Exchange Active Sync, meaning you can sync your email, but contacts and calender also. This is very handy as everything is synced on the PC, Phone and the Outlook website.

With Gmail you are limited to IMAP meaning you can only sync email, not contacts and calendars. However i think add-ons exist for some desktop email clients that will sync Gmail Contacts / Calendars too.

Best paid option:

I would purchase a domain then sign-up for Office 365 Hosted Exchange, this is $4 a month for business grade email hosted by Microsoft. Exchange is fantastic on the web, desktop and on the mobile.

Also the advantage of using your own domain is you can change email providers and keep the same email address. So if you decided Exchange isn't for you then you can simply signup with Google apps and have your email hosted by Google, or any other company offering email hosting.

I have used Google Apps (Gmail), Windows Live Domains (Outlook.com, now discontinued for use with your own domains) and Office 365 Hosted Exchange over the years, in my opinion Office 365 Hosted Exchange will give you by far the best email experience if your willing to pay. Everything just works and syncs great no matter what platform or device you are on. I also think the Office 365 Hosted Exchange web interface / functionality is leagues ahead of anything else out there.

To sum up i would personally go with Outlook.com for a free email provider, or purchase a domain and use Office 365 Hosted Exchange.

Best bets are Outlook or GMAIL.  Free so try them out and see which ones you like the best.  And stay away from Yahoo.  Unless you like spam and malware.

Google doesnt read your email.  Dont believe the scare mongering.  Its a BOT scan for keywords and a lot of sites do it now a days.  And you can opt out and I never see an add/promotion ever in my Gmail.

And personally, I never use my full name in my email address cept for work.  Never have, never will.  Some things I like to keep private.

eMails are already scanned for spam anyway. How do people think eMails are marketed as spam?

I always loved gmail, has the features.  Get an Inbox invite(kind of an addon for gmail/separate app and site to manage it) and then you're gold cause it has the simplicity of the other services and a few killer features like 'snooze' on emails and it follows the Getting-things-done system. 

Any email that is Exchange there really is no competing with this, Were it not for the fact that Exchange is propriety to Microsoft imap and pop3 wouldn't exist words literally cannot describe how much they suck and it only gets worse the bigger your mailbox gets.

• Like 1

I use Outlook.com because I can use Exchange ActiveSync on my iPhone with it for push email/calendar/contacts. I used to use Gmail but they removed that feature so I switched to Outlook.com.

I have chosen Outlook after try the interface.

Now there is only to chose the right username:

- name_surname

or

- john.r.doe   (this is not a real name :) Jon Doe)

Vote your favourite :)