Something Strange showed when downgrading from Win10TP to 7.

Well. I don't know whether it is safe to delete or not. I'm making this post from Windows 10 TP. But i want to go back to Windows 7.

BUT..

When it asked me where i wanted to install the OS, It showed a Secondary partition thats OEM reserved. Back when i installed Windows 7 for the first time on this gaming gig, There was NOT an oem partition. I just simply formatted. The oem partition showing i believe has something to do with Windows 10 TP. I had previously upgraded from 7 to the TP. But i don't want this stupid OEM partition reserve and i want to get rid of it. Is it safe to do so? I need to know if it will corrupt the Windows 7 Installation altogether or if it will run Windows 7 smoothly.

~Thanks, Benjamine6

Dot. It's a custom built rig. I was the main builder. While my brother assisted me in the work. I got it finished on the 27th of December, 2014.

Plus. the OEM partition did not show until AFTER i upgraded to the Windows 10 Technical preview.

Here's what i found in Disk management. It appears to be formed from that glitch to where after installation. Every time the computer turns on. There is a Windows Rollback thingy. Even though microsoft said you cannot downgrade back. And you have to clean install the system.

post-508405-0-44194200-1422812031.png

Doesn't Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10 make a 300MB - 500MB a recovery partition automatically... were it stores the Windows PE "Repair my computer" info?

What i know is if you Delete the partition. It makes a Windows reserve when you remake the partition. I only formatted. Which it shouldn't show it. Like i said, The partition showed AFTER i upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10TP.

Doesn't Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10  add a recovery partition automatically... were it stores the Windows PE "Repair my computer" info.

I don't have any on my Win 8 machines.

OP, if it was setup by Win10, then it should be safe to remove if you're rolling back to 7.

I don't have any on my Win 8 machines.

OP, if it was setup by Win10, then it should be safe to remove if you're rolling back to 7.

I have one on my Windows 8 couch computer an my main Windows 8 workstation .. and my Windows 7 quickbooks computer. and my Windows 10 kitchen computer.

post-4927-0-26055800-1422812604.png

post-4927-0-32307900-1422812678.png

post-4927-0-36969100-1422812754.png

I have one on my Windows 8 couch computer an my main Windows 8 workstation .. and my Windows 7 quickbooks computer.

Actually, I show a partition on my Surface, but not on my custom built rig. So maybe they do.

Windows setup will attempt to reserve 150-450MB (depending on PE version) to install a recovery wim (what is loaded when you try to restore from backup or repair your computer). On non-UEFI or Legacy Boot installations, it will install the Windows bootloader here also. It's attempted to do this since Windows Vista (it's in the install.wim) but doesn't always create it depending on the drive configuration, GPT/MBR & driver interface. Windows can be installed without it manually via DISM but I would argue it's messy. It won't get created if you're MBR booting and you have too many partitions that already exist on the target system drive.

If your Windows 7 has the F8 "Repair Your Computer" option and if you delete that partition, the "Repair Your Computer" it will no longer function... at least not from that menu. You can still boot off a Windows 7 Install USB or CD drive to access the same functionality.

repair-dual-boot-2.jpg

If your Windows 7 has the F8 "Repair Your Computer" option and if you delete that partition, the "Repair Your Computer" it will no longer function... at least not from that menu. You can still boot off a Windows 7 Install USB or CD drive to access the same functionality.

repair-dual-boot-2.jpg

Nope if you delete all partitions before you install windows 7 and then create a Partition on the empty HDD it will recreate two partitions on the HDD and put the necessary stuff where it's meant to go