SOE Turns Independent, Eyes Xbox Support

Hopefully this means more PC games from them. And ports of existing titles to PC. 

huh... it's SOE. most of their games are PC games to start with, a few being PC and PS....

A reduction of hands is not good news :/ Particularly the most skilled ones.

"Planetside 2 is in great hands, with terrific people who honestly care about the game and the players. I can't stress this enough, the folks working on every aspect of the game, developers, marketing, community are talented, hard working people who care more than you can imagine - I'm fully confident they're going to do an amazing job on the next leg of the journey."

"A lot of that team is still there, still working their asses off"

Luckily it isn't all the skilled ones, and most of the team is still there. So yeah, that is good news. In fact, that is great news.

"Planetside 2 is in great hands, with terrific people who honestly care about the game and the players. I can't stress this enough, the folks working on every aspect of the game, developers, marketing, community are talented, hard working people who care more than you can imagine - I'm fully confident they're going to do an amazing job on the next leg of the journey."

"A lot of that team is still there, still working their asses off"

Luckily it isn't all the skilled ones, and most of the team is still there. So yeah, that is good news. In fact, that is great news.

Losing people is never good news. This is textbook damage control.

They're working their asses off because there's less people involved. Which ultimately leads to features being cut or not reaching their potential.

Worse still, it creates an unhappy workforce when you pile on the pressure for those who have to cover the workload of those who left.

I could go on, but something tells me we won't agree!

Losing people is never good news. This is textbook damage control.

They're working their asses off because there's less people involved. Which ultimately leads to features being cut or not reaching their potential.

Worse still, it creates an unhappy workforce when you pile on the pressure for those who have to cover the workload of those who left.

I could go on, but something tells me we won't agree!

Nope we won't. I am a glass half full guy. Losing a couple people is never good. But retaining a ton of skilled people and veterans is good. Working hard to make a great game is good.

We can just agree to disagree.

I'm just wondering what else Sony is going to have to let go of to put their books back in order.  Or if they even can.

Somehow I missed the earlier comments directed my way, but I have never seen any evidence that DCUO has or ever had a DX11 renderer.  The update enhanced the textures, but they did not change the renderer from what I know.

Certainly isn't showing up here either http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_11_support 

A reduction of hands is not good news :/ Particularly the most skilled ones.

how do you know it the most skilled ones ? only the project leads would know that. just because someone has a rep after working on a few good games with skilled teams doesn't make them skilled.

Losing people is never good news.

that's not true either. removing excess workers can and has improved both development rate and game/rev quality. several MMO games in the past who got into trouble became a lot better and got updates faster after the teams where slimmed downs and they got rid of a few cooks.

how do you know it the most skilled ones ? only the project leads would know that. just because someone has a rep after working on a few good games with skilled teams doesn't make them skilled.

Assuming they had higher positions because of their skill. What suggests they were dead weight?

that's not true either. removing excess workers can and has improved both development rate and game/rev quality. several MMO games in the past who got into trouble became a lot better and got updates faster after the teams where slimmed downs and they got rid of a few cooks.

Of which game? Where's the stats that these people leaving has already improved PS2's dev rate or quality?

No doubt removing staff who aren't performing can be beneficial, but there's nothing to suggest that those who left fit that description.

but there's nothing to suggest that those who left fit that description.

And there is nothing to suggest it is not. However, that dev was quoted as stating there is still a LOT of the team there and skilled. So most likely, based on that, it was trimming fat.

Assuming they had higher positions because of their skill. What suggests they were dead weight?

Of which game? Where's the stats that these people leaving has already improved PS2's dev rate or quality?

No doubt removing staff who aren't performing can be beneficial, but there's nothing to suggest that those who left fit that description.

What suggests they weren't, face it none of us know. the people that know are their supervisors and project leads, the ones that fired them. it's not like they fire the good people and keep the crap ones.

it's a bit early to judge PS2 yet. But pretty much all of Funcoms game have improved in every way after their teams and even the whole company was shrunk. SWTOR had all of it's best work done after massive downsizing.