Unofficial app opens up PS4 remote play on Android devices

Unofficial app opens up PS4 remote play on Android devices
Port unlocks feature that was previously available only on Xperia phones.
by Kyle Orland - Feb 11 2015, 10:32am EST

To this point, the PlayStation 4's novel Remote Play function was only accessible on the PlayStation Vita, PlayStation TV, and certain Xperia mobile phones. That's no longer the case, thanks to an unofficial port that lets the official PS4 Remote Play app work on practically any modern Android device.

A small team of developers led by a coder with the handle TheScriptKitty posted the port back in November, but it's starting to get wider notice now that it has been unearthed by the reddit Destiny community. Running the port requires sideloading an APK onto your device, but once that's done, the process of finding and connecting to a local PS4 seems pretty seamless, based on a recent video tutorial. After that initial syncing, the Remote Play connection will even work across the Internet, as long as you leave your PS4 in Rest Mode.

Reddit and XDA users report good results with a number of different phones and Android versions, though lag seems to be a problem, depending on the connections being used (Wi-Fi is definitely recommended over eating through your mobile data plan) The app comes with built-in touchscreen facsimile of the PS4 controller, but you can connect a DualShock 3 or DualShock 4 controller to the phone using a separate app (which requires a rooted version of Android to use).

Last month, Microsoft announced that users would be able to stream games from an Xbox One to Windows 10 PCs and tablets via an integrated Xbox App.

Source: ArsTechnica

I understand Sony wanting to push their Xperia line, but someday this really needs to just be an app on the playstore supporting all devices.

• Like 2

I understand Sony wanting to push their Xperia line, but someday this really needs to just be an app on the playstore supporting all devices.

I also wish they would stop this only sony devices can use remote play crap. Id really like to make use of the vaio remote play app on my laptop but its locked out to vaio only laptops.

WFT sony? just let any mobile/pc devices to use the remote play apps.

I have actually tried this and it is not a very smooth use. its much more laggy than with the PS Vita however, it does prove that there is nothing special they have done to their Sony handsets that would allow for this that other handsets do not offer.

I have actually tried this and it is not a very smooth use. its much more laggy than with the PS Vita however, it does prove that there is nothing special they have done to their Sony handsets that would allow for this that other handsets do not offer.

I wonder how that compares to an Experia running it.  Still a cool thing to do.