NAS Hard Drive question

A NAS is for mass storage to be used by multiple users at once. A PC HDD is made for local storage and one user at a time. Is this not obvious?

The drive dosnt know or care about the above its the MTBF that matters if its going in a NAS and you use RAID5 as most still do because they suck you've got much bigger problems to worry about (RAID 5 not being dependable anymore with high capacity drives) and getting a poor mans SAS drive wont solve this.

WD Red drives are just fine. They are made to run 24/7 and are quite adequate for NAS usage.

However, if you really want to play with the real stuff, you should try the Western Digital RE or Western Digital SE series. The RE drives have about 1,200,000 hours of usage before the fail and they do read a lot more data until they try to read a block that can't be recovered.

Please read here for more information.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=580#Tab1

The drive dosnt know or care about the above its the MTBF that matters if its going in a NAS and you use RAID5 as most still do because they suck you've got much bigger problems to worry about (RAID 5 not being dependable anymore with high capacity drives) and getting a poor mans SAS drive wont solve this.

That's what I'm saying. It's not that good Seagate drives such, it's just that they weren't made for the use that they're getting in his Synology. WD Red's were actually made for that purpose which is why he's not having any issues with them.

That's what I'm saying. It's not that good Seagate drives such, it's just that they weren't made for the use that they're getting in his Synology. WD Red's were actually made for that purpose which is why he's not having any issues with them.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771442.pdf

wd reds are rated for 10^14 URE with 4x4tb that gives you a 27.8% chance of a successful rebuild essentially useless, Which is my point address tihis problem with double parity.

It doesn't matter if you use WD reds the problem is still there better off getting regular drives and doing raid6.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771442.pdf

wd reds are rated for 10^14 URE with 4x4tb that gives you a 27.8% chance of a successful rebuild essentially useless, Which is my point address tihis problem with double parity.

It doesn't matter if you use WD reds the problem is still there better off getting regular drives and doing raid6.

We've reached a consensus, although depending on how old his Synology is it may not support RAID-6.

A NAS is for mass storage to be used by multiple users at once. A PC HDD is made for local storage and one user at a time. Is this not obvious?

So can you explain how a hard drive for a NAS would allow multiple users at once ? Is there some new technology I've not heard of that allows a HD to read more than one byte of data at a time ?

So can you explain how a hard drive for a NAS would allow multiple users at once ? Is there some new technology I've not heard of that allows a HD to read more than one byte of data at a time ?

Are you asking ridiculous questions for a reason or are you serious with them? I can't tell. In case it's the latter I'll indulge you. 

It's simple really, the more people that are reading/writing to and from a volume the more read/writes it will be required to endure. A standard consumer hard drive has a lower MTBF, which is fine since on a standard workstation only one user is reading or writing to it at one time. When you have multiple users accessing data off of a NAS (because it's typically shared storage) the disk usage will be exponentially higher, hence the need for drives that have higher MTBF values. It's not about the disk being able to read more than one byte of data at a time. It's about the sheer number of reads/writes it must endure over the course of its life. In a desktop or laptop, that number will be a lot lower over a given period than drives in a shared storage appliance such as the OP's Synology.

Are you asking ridiculous questions for a reason or are you serious with them? I can't tell. In case it's the latter I'll indulge you. 

I ask because you started off sounding like you had no idea what you were talking about.  

I wish you would stop generalising things I wrote and take them to the point as I wrote them. All I was saying was that I didn't agree with your sentence that consumer grade hard drives don't last more than a year or so. I proved you otherwise in my case.

If you're doing a lot of reading and writing consumer grade hard drives are not going to last more than a year or so.

All I said was that the MTBF is calculated for a specific drive or model, not on where you decide to end up using it. If you buy a WD Red it comes with a specified MTBF by WD. This value will still be the same, regardless whether you put it into a desktop, a NAS or an external enclosure. Different drives have different MTBF. And if you calculate how long an MTBF nowadays actually lasts, the value is so high (in years) that, as a consumer, you wouldn't really care. Chances are that you would have replaced the drives multiple times until you actually reached the MTBF.

If you don't see the difference then why would you go with HDD's indicated for NAS usage?

I know there is a difference, but I don't know exactly what it is. I know it is on a technical and design level. But if it makes you happy, I can quickly google for an article that explains the difference better than I can.

• Like 2

Are you satisfied?

If you just post fact based arguments with studies, links and raw data to back it up, your generalizations would not be questioned as harshly.