iMac 2009 boot from usb issue

Hello everyone! :)

Recently a friend of mine gave me an iMac 2009 and he wanted it to updated to the latest os x yosemite.

When i tried to download the update through the app store everything went fine and the installation also but after the first restart it was always stuck at the apple logo screen,

with the loading bar half filled for many, many hours.

Then since i don't have access to another mac i download transmac and also a copy of the dmg yosemite on my windows pc. I plugged in my 8GB (i also tried with 16) and starting to restore the dmg

image to the usb drive. It took more than 2 hours but it finally finished. 

So since then every time i connect the usb to the iMac and press the alt key when it starts up it doesn't show me any usb drive but instead i only get the recovery 10.10.1.

Basically it doesn't recognize the usb drive to run a clean installation of yosemite.

I also tried this but again it didn't work.

If there is an easier way to install other operating systems like windows or linux i don't any problem with that.

diskpart
DISKPART> list disk
(Find the disk number)
DISKPART> select disk 2
Disk 2 is now the selected disk.
DISKPART> clean
DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.
DISKPART> convert gpt
DiskPart successfully converted the selected disk to GPT format.
DISKPART> create part pri

Can anyone help me with this?

Hello everyone! :)

Recently a friend of mine gave me an iMac 2009 and he wanted it to updated to the latest os x yosemite.

When i tried to download the update through the app store everything went fine and the installation also but after the first restart it was always stuck at the apple logo screen,

with the loading bar half filled for many, many hours.

What tools are available if you do go and boot into recovery? Can you image the USB drive from the iMac?

The 2009 iMac models came with a dvd drive.  Use a program like diskmakerx: http://diskmakerx.com/ and burn the yosemite dmg to a dual layer dvd.  Then try installing it from the dvd instead.

If i had the dvd that would be great. Can i burn one from windows?

Edit: Managed to do it with PowerISO and it worked great! :)