Cell Carriers and Supported Phones

Ok, some of my family are still using basic phones.  I guess Verizon said that they will soon stop supporting basic phones and going all digital.  I never heard of this but now everyone in my family that has a basic phone is now looking to get a smartphone.  Verizon said other carriers are going to do the same thing.

Anyone heard of this?   Cannot find anything online about it either.

Mobile phone technology has been digital since the mid-early 90s.

There is NO valid technical reason that you HAVE to have a smartphone.

That is what I have been telling them. Told them they need to call and talk to Verizon but they don't want to do so.  But they are convinced in a month or so their basic phone will not work and the only place you can get a basic phone from is smaller providers like Cricket.  Mom said a guy at work said they could sell her that phone for my gma, but it won't work in a month. And Basic phones are still listed as several options on Verizon's site.  Figured they would have pulled them if this was true.

Well, you have advised them and they chose to ignore your advice.  Walk away from the conversation.

Easier said than done.  But right now, just curious of if carriers are not supporting basic phones soon.  Seems silly if true so why I am doubting it.

• Like 1

Are their basic phones 4G (not necessarily LTE)?  If they are then there is no reason why then should just stop working.  The carriers are just pushing people to give up their basic phones and move to a smartphone so they can charge them more.  Basic phones don't have a data plan...therefore they don't cost as much.  By 'forcing' someone to a smartphone they then have to have a data plan and your monthly charges go way up.  Just remember...it's all about the '$$$$'.