ASP.NET MVC5 CSHTML (Razor) Issues

Question

I really like the @Html.EditorFor(m => m.Foo) expressions and such.

There are a few issues though,

1. Refactoring the Model does not refactor the CSHTML (I am actively working on the model so its a big issue)

2. Rebuilding does not build the CSHTML files to tell me that it no longer compiles. This becomes a runtime error.

3. IdFor gets the Id of an EditorFor form field. I used that in a "var foo = $('#@Html.IdFor(m => m.Foo)');" but at that point it becomes nasty. Ideas?

5 answers to this question

If you're still actively working on the model then I would use Html.EditorForModel(m => m) and let it scaffold on-the-fly until your model has stabilized. Otherwise you have not many other options other than updating your views as your model matures. When done you can write a custom editor for your model (in EditorTemplates) and you won't have to change your views that use EditorForModel()

If you want to refactor a field (assuming you're using Visual Studio), you can press CTRL+R, R or F2 and it'll open a window to rename a model, method or property, which will propagate the change to everything that references it.

I also recommend you look into ReSharper, which will quickly highlight errors like referencing broken objects when a change occurs. It's a superbly nice addition to VS, even if it can bloat VS at times.

1. You need something like ReSharper to do this. Microsoft doesn't think this is a big enough problem.

2. Have you enabled the MvcBuildviews? This might increase compile times up to tenfold. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jimlamb/archive/2010/04/20/turn-on-compile-time-view-checking-for-asp-net-mvc-projects-in-tfs-build-2010.aspx

3. What are you trying to do with the field? If you want to just use the value you can do

var foo = @Model.Foo;

1. You need something like ReSharper to do this. Microsoft doesn't think this is a big enough problem.

2. Have you enabled the MvcBuildviews? This might increase compile times up to tenfold. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jimlamb/archive/2010/04/20/turn-on-compile-time-view-checking-for-asp-net-mvc-projects-in-tfs-build-2010.aspx

3. What are you trying to do with the field? If you want to just use the value you can do

var foo = @Model.Foo;
That is a bloody big problem to me! Bad Microsoft, Bad!

MvcBuildviews sounds useful, thanks.

Client Side JavaScript Foo binded to the model - getting EditorFor generated fields (via jQuery $("#ObjectIdHere")) via JS to do some logic.

Anyone got MvcBuildviews to work targeting x64 only?

EDIT: NM I just went w/ Razor Generator.