Notebook; 8GB RAM vs 16GB RAM, noticeable?

I see it like this... When I built my last rig, I was trying to decide between 4GB and 8GB. Nearly everyone I asked gave me a long list of reasons why I would never need more than 4GB of RAM... at least for 10 years. They said this to me as a gamer. And I thought, okay, these reasons make sense. I went with 4GB.

In the last year or so (3 years after I built), people are surprised a gamer settled for 4GB. Now it's all about 8GB. So I asked, for my next rig, should I just do 8GB, or go up to 16GB. Nearly everyone I asked gave me a long list of reasons why I would never need more than 8GB of RAM... at least for 10 years.

I went with 16GB.

Did I waste money? Yeah, maybe. But it's going to be a long time before people are saying 16GB isn't enough. If it comes sooner than I anticipate, I'll buy another 16GB and max out my motherboard, but I'm hoping by the time that happens, I'll be building a new rig anyway.

Yes well, things change. When people come here and ask for recommendations, we can only recommend for the situation "now". Who knows what you will need or what games require one or two years later? People seem to think that just because we recommend 8GB or 16GB you need to stick to that for the next 6 years.

That is the nice thing about RAM, you can simply extend it or upgrade it. So what is the big deal? If we recommend now that 8GB is enough for you, so what if a year or two down the road new games come out that need lots of RAM, or that the requester decided to run VM's and needs more? Just buy another two modules or replace the existing ones with bigger ones. That's the whole wonder about it in the first place. You are not tied to this decision until you build or buy the next computer, you can simply spend another 50