295X2 or 980 + GSYNC?

So I am debating on whether or not I should get a 295X2, or if I should get a GTX 980. Monitor would be the ROG Swift, which has g-sync.

The 295X2 is more powerful, it gets significantly higher frames than the 980, which gets below 60FPS on the game qualities I want to use it for. However, the 980 is cheaper and I can also use g-sync with it.

So really, my question is if g-sync is worth it, especially with the lower frames of the 980. If not, would the ROG Swift be worth it without g-sync?

single GPU configurations with lower framerates are sometimes still more fluid than multi GPU configurations with higher framerates.. keyword micro stuttering.

also, multi GPU configurations have more compatibility problems than single GPU configurations.

personally, i would go with 980 and g-sync.

-andy-

single GPU configurations with lower framerates are sometimes still more fluid than multi GPU configurations with higher framerates.. keyword micro stuttering.

also, multi GPU configurations have more compatibility problems than single GPU configurations.

personally, i would go with 980 and g-sync.

-andy-

Also, I researched some more and I noticed that AMD GPUs are horrible at particles compared to Nvidia's.

Your power consumption and thermal output will be drastically lower with the 980 as well, keeping your PC much cooler and extending the life of your components (especially your PSU).

Win-win.

[EDIT] And I see you are a GNU/Linux user. AMD is not really an option for you if you plan on gaming, the drivers still aren't where they need to be. You'll need to use the Xorg-Edgers PPA for drivers (if your Distro can use PPA's) for acceptable performance.

I had the ASUS Swift RoG and it only lasted 6 months before it broke. I found out that there are tons of people with problems returning the monitor. Keep an eye out for when the text gets blurry, the fonts become jagged and unclear. After a while I managed to return the monitor and get a refund.

Since you have the Swift, I would recommend to get the Nvidia card, as you'll be able to take advantage of the G-Sync. But in all honesty, when I had the monitor I noticed no difference whatsoever.

[EDIT] And I see you are a GNU/Linux user. AMD is not really an option for you if you plan on gaming, the drivers still aren't where they need to be. You'll need to use the Xorg-Edgers PPA for drivers (if your Distro can use PPA's) for acceptable performance.

Well I might have to use Windows for gaming.

I had the ASUS Swift RoG and it only lasted 6 months before it broke. I found out that there are tons of people with problems returning the monitor. Keep an eye out for when the text gets blurry, the fonts become jagged and unclear. After a while I managed to return the monitor and get a refund.

Since you have the Swift, I would recommend to get the Nvidia card, as you'll be able to take advantage of the G-Sync. But in all honesty, when I had the monitor I noticed no difference whatsoever.

I don't have the Swift, I just was planning to get the Swift.

Well, if you don't have yet the monitor, I'd recommend you read up on it before bying it. Google for "Asus Swift blurry text" and you will find a very long thread in the asus forum with many people complaining and sending back their monitors.

Even though I received the purchase price back I didn't get the same monitor again. For the same price I bought the Dell 34'' Ultra-Wide and a warranty extension.

Well I might have to use Windows for gaming.

Understood. I too have to dual-boot, and WINE does not always work. One of my favorite games (The Secret World) will not run, and I've never gotten it to run using WINE ... ever.

Well, if you don't have yet the monitor, I'd recommend you read up on it before bying it. Google for "Asus Swift blurry text" and you will find a very long thread in the asus forum with many people complaining and sending back their monitors.

Even though I received the purchase price back I didn't get the same monitor again. For the same price I bought the Dell 34'' Ultra-Wide and a warranty extension.

I did some more research after I posted this, and I am now considering this http://www.amazon.com/AOC-G2460PQU-Ultimate-Performance-Professional/dp/B00HY7PAUC

Understood. I too have to dual-boot, and WINE does not always work. One of my favorite games (The Secret World) will not run, and I've never gotten it to run using WINE ... ever.

Yeah, as amazing as Wine is, it isn't as good as Windows itself.

Or you could wait for AMD's 390/X (which should launch in June) and pair it with this FreeSync bad boy.

Also, I researched some more and I noticed that AMD GPUs are horrible at particles compared to Nvidia's.

Do you mean in NV sponsored games (aka games that use proprietary tech like Physx, GameWorks) or what?

I'm one of the testers/bug reporters/unofficial maintainers of FL Studio on WINE and that's another one of those painful, pull-your-hair-out experiences thanks to a GUI clash with the WINE Pulseaudio driver (mostly). Compositing exacerbates the issue 100-fold.

Now with the FL Studio 12 Betas it's becoming more of an issue with .Net GUI overruns. *sigh*

So, yeah. WINE is not where it needs to be either, as good as it is.