Bought product with free game download, told "promotion expired"

I bought a MOGA Bluetooth gaming controller from PowerA and as part of it, the packaging told me there was a redemption code for a free game enclosed.

The key did not work in the app.

I've been in contact with PowerA, as follows:

I bought my MOGA from Amazon. I have the little card that came in the pack, to download Sonic CD. When I enter the code (correctly), I get, "Sorry we don't recognise that offer code".

Any ideas?

Unfortunately, if you received an error when attempting to download the game, it means the promotion had already expired when redemption was attempted. We will not be able to provide a replacement code. Our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience.

As far as I'm aware, this breaks some UK law if they don't offer me an fair alternative.

Part of the reason I bought this device was for the promotional game that was advertised. Am I able to be provided with an alternative? This breaks UK law.

I apologize for the inconvenience as the codes are unavailable internationally. As such, we are unable to assist in the purchase of the Sonic CD, Asphalt 7, or NOVA 3 games.

Where do I stand?

Return the product you bought which advertised the promotional item.

Yeah, I was thinking that was an option.

Not sure it's worth returning just for the download - but the whole thing makes me lose respect for PowerA :/

It doesn't break UK law at all.  Promotions are allowed to expire.

There was no reference to an expiry date on the box at all, so when I purchased it, I could fairly assume the offer was in-tact.

I should have returned it :/

"Assume"... Elliot mate, we are talking about the law here.

But unless there is absolutely no reference anywhere to it expiring (either by date, stock or any other measurable) they are within their rights.

"Assume"... Elliot mate, we are talking about the law here.

But unless there is absolutely no reference anywhere to it expiring (either by date, stock or any other measurable) they are within their rights.

But on the flip side, since there was no expiry date, one could assume there is no expiry date and that the offer is always available.

But on the flip side, since there was no expiry date, one could assume there is no expiry date and that the offer is always available.

I think Niks point here is as soon as you can use the words "assume" you don't have a leg to stand on.

You could assume you might find a set of keys to a Ferrari in the box too - might be unlikely but you could still assume it if you like. I think when it comes to the law it has to be specific. 

But on the flip side, since there was no expiry date, one could assume there is no expiry date and that the offer is always available.

"assume" - stop using that word, and then trying to tell companies where they stand legally - it makes you look completely blind as to how the law works.  

To argue this properly I'd need to see a scan of the box and slip - because unless the company running the promotion are completely inept, there WILL be wording somewhere that either lists a date, a cut-off based upon stock, or such.

• Like 2