GOG Galaxy enters open beta for all to try

You can set up Origin to not run when the game closes. heck I think with that setting it doesn't even run when the game runs. it just starts then closes, personally I don't care, Origin just runs in the background, no big deal . 

If I can't run a game (especially single player) without logging into some service on my PC then I'm not buying that game.  I don't mind having to log into a service to initially buy and download a game or even patch it but once it's installed I should be able to completely disconnect my computer from the network and launch and quit the game as much as I want for days, weeks, or even months without having to check into some service.  I can tolerate needing to log in to a service to play internet multiplayer (though preferably there would be a direct IP LAN option that doesn't require a service login).  I'd also like to be able to download and archive an installer just in case the service some day folds so that I can install the game on a new computer.  I don't believe Origin or Steam or uPlay meets that criteria.

If you like Origin though by all means use it.  Use whatever you like I'm not trying to get people to switch, I'm just sharing my personal opinion and you are free to disagree.

No, you can't. I thought that too when I bought Skyrim in a brick and mortar shop to avoid getting the Steam version. Despite the fact it came on disk it still requires you install Steam to use it. It's not for multiplayer or anything either because Skyrim doesn't have any multiplayer at all.

well that depends of the game but yeah most requires some sort of online service, nowdays. :/

• 3 months later...

Update 1.1 to the GOG Galaxy beta will bring the anticipated Rollback feature, allowing you to restore your game to prior states with just a single click. Game updates are now not only optional, but also reversible.

The newest 1.1 update includes much-requested improvements to the friend system (making it easier to find and invite friends), pausing & resuming downloads, extended pre-installation options with more ways to configure your games, and an improved app UI and navigation. The entire client will now be more resource-friendly while also becoming faster.

Source